Looking for Linux Books

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Ragz

Looking for Linux Books

Post by Ragz »

Though there is so much to read and learn on this great forum I enjoy having books on topics interested in and Linux Mint or Linux is no exception. Anyone suggest any which would be beneficial for Mint? When I moved away from Windows I went the way a good percentage did which was Ubuntu and have three books. Yesterday I dug them out of the attic and went through them and YUCK. How did I ever read that stuff!!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Looking for Linux Books

Post by MurphCID »

paddys-hill
Level 1
Level 1
Location: All over the Adelaide Hills and Fleurio region of South Australia

Re: Looking for Linux Books-SOLVED

Post by paddys-hill »

Oh how I miss my "Unix Administrators Handbook", all 1700 pages of it. I must have used it to prop up at least five outdoor tables.
However I still have my copy of "DOCUMENTS FOR USE WITH THE UNIX TIME-SHARING SYSTEM" UNSW/AAEC edition 1976. With chapters by certain Kernigans, Ritchies, Thompsons and that ilk.
Paddys-Hill Co-op co-ordinator & sysadmin
Acer Aspire A315-21G (AMD A9-9420 RADEON R5) running 5.11.0-22-generic
Distro: Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa DE:Cinnamon 4.8.6 WM: muffin 4.8.1 DM: LightDM 1.30.0
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Mint isn't nearly big enough for a good selection of Mint specific books, but Ubuntu and Debian are, and work similarly.

The best Linux nuts and bolts book I've seen is the Debian Administator's Handbook.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Problem with any hard copy book is that they tend to date very quickly. When I started mint I bought a guide - it was for LM17.3!
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0

Return to “Open Chat”