Cyber Attacks and losses to the Public

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Cyber Attacks and losses to the Public

Post by AZgl1800 »

To those in the Eastern half of the United States of America, it is well known how quickly shutting down just one major petroleum pipeline ( Colonial Pipeline ) can effect the rest of the country. I live in Oklahoma, dead center from East coast to West coast, our fuel prices doubled within one week.

Within 24 hours, gas stations ran out of fuel, with 48 hours, food stores started having shortages because truckers could not get access to Diesel fuel to operate their Semi-rigs to deliver product to end destinations.

that was only the beginning, as the shortage of fuel increased, it snowballed into shortages everywhere, medical supplies, Oxygen for patients, and lots more....

Here in Oklahoma, grocery stores started experiencing huge shortages of just about everything.
Milk doubled in price, beef prices nearly tripled here.

In an attempt to be better prepared for future Cyber hacks, our nation is gearing up to find out ways to defend against this type of Nation State Warfare. it is Nation State, that has been proven, it is not just a hand full of kids playing with computers.
It will never be perfect, but you have to start somewhere.

https://americanmilitarynews.com/2021/0 ... responses/

What we all need to start protecting, is our Public Utilities, in every country in the world, not just one little piece of the country.

Early this spring, the State of Texas had a total shutdown on the electric grid, due to a hurricane and severe flooding.
that alone showed us that just because Texas had never, ever, once, had a Public Electric Grid total shutdown, that it can't happen. It did, and it really woke up a lot of people...

Some went to prison over that miscue because they did not have a plan to handle such an event.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
DisturbedDragon
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Cyber Attacks and losses to the Public

Post by DisturbedDragon »

I"ll give you the US is in s a bad way for proper cybersecurity. Our current idiot in chief is the reason for most of the issues that cascaded the land.

I live in Texas and there was no state-wide power outage. Curious where you heard this.
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16C/32T | MSI MPG x570 Gaming Plus | 2TB Mushkin Pilot-E NVMe | 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe | 2x 2TB Inland Gen4 NVMe | 32GB Trident Z DDR4 3600 | Nvidia RTX4090 | Fedora 39 Cinnamon | Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon | Kernel 5.15.x lowlatency
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

I'm still amazed many critical infrastructures don't have backups in place and have remote emergency systems they can switch to in an emergency. The electric/irrigation water utility I worked for had those protections. They would test the out of State emergency system a least once or twice a year and the only thing users would notice was a slight slowdown in operations.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

DisturbedDragon wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:42 pm I"ll give you the US is in s a bad way for proper cybersecurity. Our current idiot in chief is the reason for most of the issues that cascaded the land.

I live in Texas and there was no state-wide power outage. Curious where you heard this.
Mass Media of course, as I currently live 200 miles north of the Texas border, I had no way to know the difference.

I have family in Wichita Falls, Iowa Park, Denison, Tyler,and have yet to hear from any of them... shsssh!!! :x
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

What we need is to have redundant systems in every major part of our infrastructure. There is no way in hell that our entire country should have suffered because of one pipeline going down. Same crap happens out here all the time because we haven't built any new power plants or oil refineries in ages.

Return to “Open Chat”