How can people survive with Windows?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
DisturbedDragon
Level 5
Level 5

Re: How can people survive with Windows?

Post by DisturbedDragon »

Unknown. Almost to a point of being able to switch all PC's at work to Linux. Yesterday didn't help the cause for Windows. Four PC's updated with one having two BSOD events and another well, several, Checked event viewer and figured out the update corrupted a boatload of drivers on both. That's a 50% failure rate at this point. Downtime for any one of my employees is bad. We work international and are extremely busy every minute of every day. It was fixable yes, but completely unnecessary and avoidable if the updates were properly tested and approved for deployment on enterprise systems. As it is, this not the first or even fifteenth time updates have caused issues. Some have been worse than others with several PC's failing to boot after or experiencing total OS corruption. On the bright side, I only have one more Windows only program to replace before moving to Linux. Moving this will require a massive SQL data migration, but I will be doing it with a smile on my face because I know that once complete I can finally get away from the only source of daily grief in my admin duties.
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16C/32T | MSI MPG x570 Gaming Plus | 2TB Mushkin Pilot-E NVMe | 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe | 2x 2TB Inland Gen4 NVMe | 32GB Trident Z DDR4 3600 | Nvidia RTX4090 | Fedora 39 Cinnamon | Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon | Kernel 5.15.x lowlatency
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

What is the one last ring, sorry, application to rule your world?
ivar
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ivar »

I survive just fine with windows - good job security :mrgreen:

Our small team @ work manages around 400 clients, all on win 10. Crashes after updates are seldom, had a handful in May that needed some fiddling afterwards.
Win7 was much more sensitive for power outages etc in my experience.

What causes me most grief..? a shitload of applications, some of them legacy.

But for after work, I'm fine without windows for most of what I do
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Moem wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:54 am People can survive with almost anything, as long as they don't know that other options exist.
+1
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
DisturbedDragon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by DisturbedDragon »

Petermint wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:05 am What is the one last ring, sorry, application to rule your world?
Tigerpaw CRM. Moving to Leverage which is OS agnostic.

Update to my previous post. Now 5 of 6 with the issue. All others I stopped updates. Spoke to some friends also in the field and same issue with almost 100% "mortality".
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16C/32T | MSI MPG x570 Gaming Plus | 2TB Mushkin Pilot-E NVMe | 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe | 2x 2TB Inland Gen4 NVMe | 32GB Trident Z DDR4 3600 | Nvidia RTX4090 | Fedora 39 Cinnamon | Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon | Kernel 5.15.x lowlatency
old_noob
Level 4
Level 4

Post by old_noob »

I survive with Windows at work because we have a large IT department that keeps it running. Their problem. I am the de facto admin for my wife's Windows machine, though, and I try to keep it pretty locked down - but back it up twice a day just in case (would like to leave the external HD connected and have an auto backup every 30 minutes but she would freak out if anything went wrong booting or shutting down). Use malwarebytes, though it seems to be getting kind of useless and gimmicky nowadays, in addition to the M$ AV. Also scan for rootkits with a Kaspersky bootable USB weekly (based on Gentoo, pretty cool). So far, so good but I'm still trying to convince her to at least get a Chromebook for banking and shopping.

I do run a small Windows network in my lab for the analytical instruments and setting up the DNS and registry so the computers and instruments can talk to each other and the primary network drives me crazy. IT doesn't help because the instruments are not their equipment. So every couple of years I get new laptops and spend a day or 2 swearing loudly till everything is working.
151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

I use Windows and have no complaints with it works without any problems.

I use Linux and have no complaints with it works without any problems.

Linux and Windows are both free and I can't complain about free.

For what I use my computer for an OS is an OS and it doesn't matter to me either one will do what I need without any fuss.
Last year we said, 'Things can't go on like this', and they didn't, they got worse.
[Will Rogers]

There are two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither works.
[Will Rogers]
Tolayon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Tolayon »

How to survive it - especially Windows 10 - the easiest way?

Simple, just use it as little as possible. I just boot into it about once a week, sometimes I can go three weeks completely without it (it's on a separate laptop, no dual booting on my main machine).
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

151tom wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:56 pm I use Windows and have no complaints with it works without any problems.
Some people are lucky and some live in the real world and have gone to Linux for reliability.

A couple of days ago,"Can you fix my laptop?"
A power supply check, yes OK. Boot the BIOS, yes, the screen works. Finally a bit of glimmer from Windows and the client went away with the lid open as it carried on doing update after update.
151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

RollyShed wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:16 pm
151tom wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:56 pm I use Windows and have no complaints with it works without any problems.
Some people are lucky and some live in the real world and have gone to Linux for reliability.

A couple of days ago,"Can you fix my laptop?"
A power supply check, yes OK. Boot the BIOS, yes, the screen works. Finally a bit of glimmer from Windows and the client went away with the lid open as it carried on doing update after update.
Well if you're going to use Windows 10 on a laptop then ya need to update it on a regular bases that way when you do need to use it it ain't running updates.

You also should set the hours you allow the updates to install.

Sounds as though the user doesn't know how to properly set up their Windows 10 on their laptop typical user these days.
Last year we said, 'Things can't go on like this', and they didn't, they got worse.
[Will Rogers]

[Will Rogers]
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

151tom wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:47 pm Well if you're going to use Windows 10 on a laptop then ya need to update it on a regular basis that way when you do need to use it it ain't running updates.
Sounds as though the user doesn't know how to properly set up their Windows 10 on their laptop typical user these days.
How many users do? They have a tool and want to use it, when they want to use it. They want to write documents, keep records, do research, not become computer maintenance people.

The advantage is I can set an older, especially, user up and they don't have problems, the Linux Mint just keeps working.

Updates when they decide they want them and only then.
151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

I hear ya.

First thing I do when I sit down to use any of the computers in my house is check for updates and install any available updates.

Users who don't want to keep their computers updated can just complain as far as I'm concerned.

I have a neighbor who's in his 80s and I showed him how to check for updates on his Windows 10 desktop and he does it regularly and only calls me over every now and then for help.
[Will Rogers]

[Will Rogers]
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

151tom wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:04 pmFirst thing I do when I sit down to use any of the computers in my house is check for updates and install any available updates.
I do once a month or two... maybe.
Users who don't want to keep their computers updated can just complain as far as I'm concerned.
Except they don't complain because they don't have problems. 30+ installations and none with non-update problems.

The only update problem I've had to deal with was Microsoft destroying a system and deleting everything during an update. She now uses Mint and NEVER has a problem.
https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing ... 18-update/

https://www.cnet.com/tech/services-and- ... -upgrades/

https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/6/1794 ... ate-paused
151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

RollyShed wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:14 am The only update problem I've had to deal with was Microsoft destroying a system and deleting everything during an update. She now uses Mint and NEVER has a problem.
I've never had any problems with Windows 10 updates they've always installed without problems.

I've had more problems with Linux and Nvidia proprietary graphics card / adapter drivers than anything.

For Linux I just keep everything Intel Inside and have no problems.
[Will Rogers]

[Will Rogers]
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

151tom wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:30 pmI've never had any problems with Windows 10 updates they've always installed without problems.
Some people are lucky and a lot aren't. A few quick checks -

August 2019
Windows 10 did a force update and EVERYthing is wiped off my computer
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 442c4ccaad

Feb 2020
Windows 10’s New Update Is Deleting People’s Files Again
https://www.howtogeek.com/658194/window ... les-again/

Sept 2020
Computer help: What to do when a Windows update wipes out your personalizations
https://www.tcpalm.com/story/life/colum ... 523942001/

March 2021
March 10 2021 update wiped out all my files
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... c49cba4c9e

https://www.windowsphoneinfo.com/thread ... es.524765/

July 2021
What Windows 10 problems or errors do you have on Tuesday
https://www.product-reviews.net/down/wi ... -problems/
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

Microsoft has a long history of forcing updates on Windows. I often received calls from people in remote locations when a Windows update started automatically on a dial up line or wireless connection where the download will take hours. They are often on a deadline and have to stay up all night waiting for the download to finish.

After the update screws up their machine, they may face an 8 hour drive back to their homestead then a 6 hour flight to a town with a computer support person. I tell them to switch to Linux or replace their car with a helicopter.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Petermint wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:38 pm I tell them to switch to Linux or replace their car with a helicopter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2tDOYkFCYo
The flying car completes first ever inter-city flight . .

on an more serious note,
it would seem that I've had Issues with both the Windows System & the Linux System.

but .. it was always the Windows System that does take the most effort to fix it,
and always takes the most Time to fix it.
- - neither system is perfect - -
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

Pierre wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:36 pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2tDOYkFCYo
The flying car completes first ever inter-city flight . .
A remarkable achievement. I was amused to see the wheels remained turning while in flight, even if they were only free-wheeling in the air current.
Cliff Coggin

Return to “Open Chat”