Linux Study Adventure

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
WriteF
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Study Adventure

Post by WriteF »

With work on my book being temporarily suspended. I have decided to slowly get started with the studying I was going to do. I am not going to hurry but figured it might be interesting to log my progress and thoughts on it. If anyone has any suggestions and advice I would like to know as well. This is going to be a pretty big undertaking, but with games being boring and having gotten into reading a lot more, there is no better time.

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Benkyou taimu!
  • LPIC-1 [__________]
  • Debian Admin Handbook [==________]
  • The Linux Command Line [__________]
  • How Linux Works [__________]
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Linux Study Adventure

Post by xenopeek »

From that list I liked How Linux Works, the Linux Command Line and the Debian Administrator's Handbook. Good books to get the basics of what components make up a Linux distro, if you want to do more things with the command line and how the package management system works.

I don't know the other two books. LPIC-1 study guide might be a bit "dry"? That may just my prejudice against study guides.

Happy reading!
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

From my experience, the best way to learn linux is to pick a project and do it, there are loads of sources on the web and if you get stuck, then post here. I also find that books, particularly if related to a specific distro, date quickly. Not much use for the 'introduction to linux mint 17.3' I bought back when I started with mint.

Part of the learning process is breaking your system, so make sure you have backups, timeshift for starters.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

The Debian Administrator's Handbook is the best nuts & bolts Linux book I've seen.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
WriteF
Level 2
Level 2

Post by WriteF »

Had some old Linux magazines lying around for a while that seemed useful back then, but never read. Was little work to do at work today so got through those.

Linux Format, issue 255 (august 2020): Covers the program called Sigil, which seemed to be exactly what I was looking for back in April viewtopic.php?f=47&t=347456&p=2003466#p2003466 . I am the dumb :|

Linux Magazine (dutch, April 2018): A very useful one which covered Openscap, Rsync, Rclone, and many other things regarding servers. Zamad (helpdesk software) is interesting as well since corporate-use software on Linux like that seems rare. Still have to read the part about hardware permissions and FirewallD, but it seems like this one will be hard to throw away, and worth revisiting when I try to mess with servers once I get through all the rest.

The Linux and Open Source Manual I already know except for the part about Bash scripting. I suppose I should give that a try to get it out of the way. I don't remember why I had bought it but I am sure it was not to learn since it is extremely basic other than that. The only other reason I can think of is regarding the parts about sharing with Windows machines on LAN or adding a Printer since that never seemed to work until recently (adding the printer that is :lol: scanning and windows-sharing are still hell)
Benkyou taimu!
  • LPIC-1 [__________]
  • Debian Admin Handbook [==________]
  • The Linux Command Line [__________]
  • How Linux Works [__________]

Return to “Open Chat”