CBL-Mariner Linux 1.0 Released by Microsoft

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
DAMIEN1307

CBL-Mariner Linux 1.0 Released by Microsoft

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Looks like yet another step in adopting Linux by Microsoft.

I did say some years ago that we would see Microsoft release a Linux version of their own in the future.

Looks like the future is fastly becoming the present...lol...DAMIEN

https://linuxiac.com/microsoft-cbl-mariner-linux-1/

https://www.zdnet.com/article/say-hi-to ... RSSbaffb68
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Re: CBL-Mariner Linux 1.0 Released by Microsoft

Post by Moonstone Man »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:27 pm I did say some years ago that we would see Microsoft release a Linux version of their own in the future.
Well, given Azure's reliance on Linux, it's not surprising.

Anyway, I think a salient point here is that die-hard Microsoft haters who still live in the dark ages, such as those who post things like this, no longer have any justification for their stance whatsoever.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

such as those who post things like this, (viewtopic.php?p=2038882#p2038882), no longer have any justification for their stance whatsoever.
Yeah...I saw that post and laughed my butt off...Some folks are still living in the "Steve (Linux is a cancer) Ballmer" era when it comes to the Windows/Linux hate factor going both ways...lol...DAMIEN
Last edited by DAMIEN1307 on Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:27 pm Looks like yet another step in adopting Linux by Microsoft.

I did say some years ago that we would see Microsoft release a Linux version of their own in the future.

Looks like the future is fastly becoming the present...lol...DAMIEN

Looks like they're following your directions. At that rate, perhaps we as a community could put forward some other suggestions that you could make for M$ to do.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

*folds arms and lowers his head slowly*

If it's made by Microsoft, I highly doubt they used the actual Linux Kernel involved in creating this ..."distro?". Microsoft's entire history since guaranteed 95 and beyond has been about them slowly but surely increasing their control over the end user's experience...be it residential..or network/admin commercial based.

Sorry...I don't trust it.
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

I highly doubt they used the actual Linux Kernel involved in creating this
It can't be called "Linux", without a Linux kernel...it IS in the article...Linux kernel 5.10.42.1-3...DAMIEN
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

At that rate, perhaps we as a community could put forward some other suggestions that you could make for M$ to do.
Sorry Portreve, I don't have their "ear" and they are not keeping me "in the loop"...lol.

All i did was nothing more than figure on the logical, natural progression, and trajectory, that they have seemed to be pursuing for the last several years, what with buying their seat in the Linux Foundation, (Thats a half a million dollars per year), and buying out "github" etc.

Im predicting that they will eventually drop development of their own propriatory kernel altogether in favour of using already available Linux kernels, (Which im sure they will put their own twist on), in future Windows platforms.

Their adoption of Googles Chromium opensource browser code to make their own Edge Browser is just a part of what will eventually be known as the New Microsoft philosophy of doing things.

If i were Microsoft, which im not, it is the logical thing to do at this stage of the game...They are much deeper into Linux than They, or most Linux OS developers and users are willing to admit...DAMIEN
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

I hope MS has changed, but its reputation will rightly stay for many years to come, and it will take longer than I am likely to live before I will trust the company any more than I trust the remnants of Yahoo. The situation to my mind is analogous to convicted embezzlers being banned from positions of financial responsibility in any company. No matter how much they may demonstrate reform, it would be foolish to trust them again.
Cliff Coggin
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

cliffcoggin wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:06 pm I hope MS has changed, but its reputation will rightly stay for many years to come, and it will take longer than I am likely to live before I will trust the company any more than I trust the remnants of Yahoo. The situation to my mind is analogous to convicted embezzlers being banned from positions of financial responsibility in any company. No matter how much they may demonstrate reform, it would be foolish to trust them again.
Microsoft change ???...Doubtful...Divide and Conquer is more their claim to fame in chamaeleon type fashion...lol.

I would never say trust them...lol...When i came to linux from windows years ago, it was done in full blind rage and anger at yet, once again, another borked update, plus their lack of transparency as to privacy and security issues and their "telemetry" thingy always going on...i will never say "trust but verify" but rather, "Never trust and ALWAYS verify"...lol...However all i was saying when starting this thread is "Look what MS is doing now"...lol...it seems to be a surprise to lots of people...No surprise to me, just logical...lol...DAMIEN
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

To quote Dorian Gray from The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen:

“I’ve lived long enough to see the future become history, professor. Empires crumble. There are no exceptions.”

I've lived long enough to see those held up for all the world to see as honorable and decent examples of either humanity or corporate governance be legitimately exposed as charlatans, frauds, evil doers, and even in some cases murderers, rapists, and so on. I've also lived long enough to see once good and noble companies, governments, and the laws themselves change into something despicable, harmful, and dangerous. It's only a matter of time to see if something (or someone) dies before it can be corrupted or co-opted. There are most definitely no exceptions.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

It's only a matter of time to see if something (or someone) dies before it can be corrupted or co-opted. There are most definitely no exceptions
Of the Dark Side you speak ???...lol...DAMIEN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_iUPKyoTMk

"I find your lack of faith disturbing"...lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p4T7_XI7WM
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Common Base Linux

Post by Pierre »

CBL-Mariner Linux 1.0,
- Released by Microsoft,
Here’s How to Install it:

like Google, and it's version of an Linux System,
- this is mainly for Internal Use Only . .

there is no publicly available ISO that you can download,
and you do need to Build your own installation ISO image.
:arrow:
Last edited by xenopeek on Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: same topic, merged here
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Just another tidbit from "The Evil Empire"...lol...Very interesting reading...DAMIEN

https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft ... x-desktop/
farkas
Level 5
Level 5

CBL-Mariner is here.

Post by farkas »

Microsoft has its own Linux distro, CBL-Mariner.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/say-hi-to ... l-mariner/

This may be the latest version of M$ to broker peace with Linux or is it an another attempt by M$ to absorb it?
Something like the Borg in Star Trek.
Personally, I don't trust M$ any more than anyone claiming that he is a foreign Prince that needs to use my bank account to get his inheritance.
If your query has been resolved, edit your first post and add [SOLVED] to the subject line.
If you found a solution on your own please post it.
A generation which ignores history has no past and no future.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: CBL-Mariner is here.

Post by Moem »

Mod note:
Two topics merged since they are about the same thing.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

farkas wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:55 am ... is it an another attempt by M$ to absorb it?
That is a profoundly absurd notion and reveals a complete and utter lack of insight into, and ignorance of, how the entire open source ecosystem works, and also of MS' contribution to it. It's outrageous click-bait at best.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

I noticed while searching for my thread and wondering what happened to it, that the original title of MY thread in the subject bar was changed to the title farkas chose for his post that was merged with mine...DAMIEN

EDIT...Its now been changed back by Mod...lol.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

<mod> The thread title has been changed back to what it had been: "CBL-Mariner Linux 1.0 Released by Microsoft" </mod>
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
ivar
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ivar »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:07 pm
such as those who post things like this, (viewtopic.php?p=2038882#p2038882), no longer have any justification for their stance whatsoever.
Yeah...I saw that post and laughed my butt off...Some folks are still living in the "Steve (Linux is a cancer) Ballmer" era when it comes to the Windows/Linux hate factor going both ways...lol...DAMIEN
Ballmer:
https://www.zdnet.com/article/ballmer-i ... i-love-it/

.. but:
Reuters reports that Ballmer still stands by his cancer analogy as right for the time. Speaking at an event earlier this week, he said going to war with open source "made a ton of money" that still contributes to Microsoft's revenue. But he said he now considers that the threat from Linux is over
I've been a windows user for 30 years, but I think MS' evil ways back then has held the computing world back and cost the society insane amounts of $$.
But I also think they've changed, that they realized that they had to - or become irrelevant
Tolayon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Tolayon »

From what I've seen on the page about creating a bootable ISO, CBL-Mariner has a graphical installer, but apparently only boots into a naked TTY after installation.
Furthermore, it's said to be for internal use by Microsoft devs only (so far at least).

All in all, I don't trust Microsoft completely either, at least not when it comes to desktop Linux.
Linux on the servers, that's OK, that's what MS genuinely loves, but so far all of their actions in the Linux world seem to aim at limiting the need for desktop Linux wherever possible (starting with their sub-system).

Return to “Open Chat”