Donuts and other breakfast pastries

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Donuts and other breakfast pastries

Post by AndyMH »

Pjotr wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:41 am Walking is, in my experience, the number 1 physical exercise to keep me fit.
Walking the dog daily does that for me, a two year old labrador. Also helps that a minute after stepping out the back door I'm in the countryside. One of the benefits of living in an AOB (area of outstanding natural beauty) in the UK. Downside - zero mobile/cellphone coverage, but I can live with that, a small price.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Well, gentlemen, you have inspired me (and caused me to perspire!) to walk around my area (basically three streets) to the tune of 2.8 miles (4.5 km) and a time of nearly 30 minutes. On the back half of the second lap, my legs were telling me I should make this the last lap for the day, which I did. I certainly do feel better.

I took a week off from work (plus a day) to get and recover from surgery, so I'm going to be out there walking each day. The problem is that most of the time when I'm working, there's no good opportunity to do this. I drive anywhere from 120 to 200 km each way for my job, and I need to be "wherever" by 4:45 a.m. You can therefore deduce how early I have to get up each morning. And, this is Florida, so the evenings are pretty darned hot and humid. Lately, of course, they've also been rainy (though nothing to complain about compared to Europe) and so it's really hard to find a good time to go.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Portreve wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:07 am I drive anywhere from 120 to 200 km each way for my job, and I need to be "wherever" by 4:45 a.m. You can therefore deduce how early I have to get up each morning.
That makes me glad to be retired. I used to be out of the house by 6am every morning for a 90 mile round trip to work. Left at that time to avoid traffic, otherwise my journey times could easily double (or worse). And I thought that was bad.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

AndyMH wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:49 am
Portreve wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:07 am I drive anywhere from 120 to 200 km each way for my job, and I need to be "wherever" by 4:45 a.m. You can therefore deduce how early I have to get up each morning.
That makes me glad to be retired. I used to be out of the house by 6am every morning for a 90 mile round trip to work. Left at that time to avoid traffic, otherwise my journey times could easily double (or worse). And I thought that was bad.
Me too Andy, been since 12/2010 ...
I have a Recliner that I live in, have to get up regularly or my legs tell me "it has been too long" since the last up and go get'em exercise event.

I have a Treadmill right next to me, but that darn thing is a pain in the arse, it is just not comfortable to walk on, and talk about DULL, no way can I read a book, the pages won't flip even on my Kindle eReader...
the TV is too far away, or I have to turn up the Volume too high and irritates my daughter....

every evening in the summer months, we get out and take an hour to walk around, getting in/out of the golf car and back to the trailer which has a 60 gallon barrel for water..... each tree gets 1 gallon minimum, some get 4 gallons each day. These are volunteer trees that we are trying to save, so that I forest around us has new growth to replace the older trees that are dying out now, or have been ruined by Ice Storms. So far, we have like 40 or 50 tree that we are trying to encourage to keep growing....

The high Temps are making them thirsty for sure.

this is right now
93temp.png

and this was yesterday
97temp.png
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

A double edged sword, you beat me, 2017 for me, so I envy that, but the downside is you're older. Me - 69 in about three weeks :( .

I know you also had a lab and also know that you could walk the same distance I do with the dog without leaving your own property :D.

Thankfully down to sensible temps here, 20C (68F) and shortly time for his walk.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

AndyMH wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:31 pm
A double edged sword, you beat me, 2017 for me, so I envy that, but the downside is you're older. Me - 69 in about three weeks :( .

I know you also had a lab and also know that you could walk the same distance I do with the dog without leaving your own property :D.

Thankfully down to sensible temps here, 20C (68F) and shortly time for his walk.
Yes, we have a good bit of grass to let them roam on,
the Akbash ( often called Great Pyrenees ) is dumb as a box of rocks, no leash, and she is gone gone gone. she slipped past my daughter a couple days ago, and she had to use the golf cart to chase after her.... found her half a mile up the road, visiting with a German Shepherd ( who's owner thankfully put back in his house )

we have a Heinz 57; Chow / Shepard mix

and a lovable smallish Australian Shepherd that just has to be with us, every where we go. When we water the trees in the evening, he is constantly jumping up on the golf cart for a ride, and then he runs over to the east side to where my daughter is water trees with a hose.... then "what's dad doing" and he is on the run back to me again :lol:

this is from the N.E. corner of our house, looking to the N.W. corner of our property, the house is situated in the middle of the six acres. If you look close, you can see some white flags: those are just some of the new 60+ volunteer trees that came up last year, we need them, as older trees die off or get damaged from storms.

this is where the house is, buried under the tree canopies. My drive has the blue drop pin, the house to the east is new on what was this original 10 acre plot, good neighbors there, No Fences in between. the property line is illusive, we just mow over to somewhere past where we did last time, so it all looks the same.

the golf car is a tremendously valuable tool for me, it is electric and pulls the trailer that we use for everything, tree limbs, water barrels, Cordless Tools " Pole Saw for tree limbs "; gas Chainsaw; several shovels of different types, and Lopping shears of different types to suit a job requirement.

We could not afford a Landscaping Service, it would break the bank...

we have a Toy Hauler RV trailer, part of which you can see in the background, quiet old, but does the job, and an enclosed very old Haul-Mark brand commercial trailer that is used for odd jobs. Motorcycles, junk, etc.

Temps here right now, encourage you to stay in the house. Our yard work is reserved for late evening hours, roughly 1 hour before it gets dark... the forest shades the last hour of the day, and helps to cool things off a bit.

97temp.png
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I just had two ham and cheese kolaches from the local Shipleys donuts, pretty good.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Apple fritter? Should I get one this morning?

Return to “Open Chat”