Donuts and other breakfast pastries

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Donuts and other breakfast pastries

Post by MurphCID »

I will admit a fondness for a good donut. Specifically the Apple Fritter from the local Shipley's donuts. Although I am also partial for a nice Cuernito from the local Mexican bakery. Both go well with a cup of tea or coffee in the morning, especially those where I am not going to work.

What are the forum's favorites? And when? And with what?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Donuts and other breakfast pastries

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Being prediabetic, I had to give up donuts well over a decade ago :cry: . My favorite was plain cake chocolate donuts (glazed were sticky and too sweet for me). While packaged donuts don't hold a candle to fresh ones, the Dolly Madison's ran circles around Hostess. I never liked Krispy Kreme donuts; they were just too darned sweet for me.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

I've never considered donuts to be a breakfast pastry! I'd classify them as a special treat for rare occasions. Rare, because they're very sweet and I don't actually like them all that much.
Breakfast pastries aren't much of a thing here anyway... but if I had to eat pastry for breakfast, the obvious and appealing choice for me would be a croissant. Also the only breakfast pastry I can think of.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Mick-Cork
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mick-Cork »

Breakfast pastries aren't a thing here either, apart from maybe the very occasional croissant as mentioned by Moem. Can't be 100% sure but I suspect 'breakfast pastries' don't appear anywhere on the European radar.

Not really in-line with the actual question, but we tend to have either a 'juice' (home made with blended fruits, nuts, berries, almond milk and maybe some cereal), boiled egg/toast, cereals in milk, or porridge (mostly in winter).

The juice is the favourite though, loads of goodness, great taste, and goes down real easy :)
151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

Wife and I love donuts but donuts just ain't good for us at our age for health reasons.

We make old fashion cinnamon rolls from scratch without sugar and without icing.

It takes a bit of time to do this but we are retired and have time so we do.

The cinnamon rolls are great and go with coffee or tea doesn't matter.
Last year we said, 'Things can't go on like this', and they didn't, they got worse.
[Will Rogers]

There are two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither works.
[Will Rogers]
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Not really in-line with the actual question, but we tend to have either a 'juice' (home made with blended fruits, nuts, berries, almond milk and maybe some cereal), boiled egg/toast, cereals in milk, or porridge (mostly in winter).
Hi Mick-Cork...Then how do you explain those huge, Gut Buster, breakfasts i've seen other American/Irish being served at the B&Bs in Tip, Cork and Kerry ???...lol...i always would just have eggs and bacon, (Irish bacon is the best in the world...lol), and toast and tea and of course juice...Thats my idea of a good breakfast in Ireland...I've never considered Donuts or pasties a breakfast myself...DAMIEN
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:25 pm Then how do you explain those huge, Gut Buster, breakfasts i've seen other American/Irish being served at the B&Bs in Tip, Cork and Kerry ???
Someone else is doing the cooking :) If I'm away I'll have eggs & bacon, at home it is coffee and toast (which must have marmalade, jam for breakfast is just wrong).
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:09 pm Being prediabetic, I had to give up donuts well over a decade ago :cry: . My favorite was plain cake chocolate donuts (glazed were sticky and too sweet for me). While packaged donuts don't hold a candle to fresh ones, the Dolly Madison's ran circles around Hostess. I never liked Krispy Kreme donuts; they were just too darned sweet for me.
Agreed, they are just nasty sweet.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Moem wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:14 pm I've never considered donuts to be a breakfast pastry! I'd classify them as a special treat for rare occasions. Rare, because they're very sweet and I don't actually like them all that much.
Breakfast pastries aren't much of a thing here anyway... but if I had to eat pastry for breakfast, the obvious and appealing choice for me would be a croissant. Also the only breakfast pastry I can think of.
I like a nice Croissant fresh from being warmed in the oven. Sometimes split in half with a slice of ham and some cheese in the middle.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

likewise, any Donuts and other breakfast pastries aren't really an thing, here either.
:)

however, like all things American, in nature, those companies are slowing making in-roads in the Local Culture.
:(
as an result, the obesity rates are climbing, along with the increase in American cuisine.

the latest trend is Hershey's chocolate's & which taste nothing like any Cadbury's chocolates.
:arrow:
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

MurphCID wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:12 am I like a nice Croissant fresh from being warmed in the oven.
If you have the chance, try a freshly baked one. Made with real butter, not margarine. It's something else entirely. No topping needed, well... maybe a spot of jam or marmelade.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:09 pm Being prediabetic, I had to give up donuts well over a decade ago :cry: . My favorite was plain cake chocolate donuts (glazed were sticky and too sweet for me). While packaged donuts don't hold a candle to fresh ones, the Dolly Madison's ran circles around Hostess. I never liked Krispy Kreme donuts; they were just too darned sweet for me.
I have to echo this post :oops: :oops: :oops:

at 78 years young, up until this spring; I have eaten whatever I want, when I want it....

but my last two A1C results are telling me the errors of my ways :evil: :evil: :evil:

Krispy Kreme was way too gooey for me, never really liked them

I like the Dolly Madison products, and Pepperidge Farm Golden Layer Cake for a Sunday dinner snack :)

right now, we get these Chocolate Coconut bars from Aldi's, only 1g of sugar, and oh my gawd, are they ever delicious!!!

Aldi's has a few other low carb, low sugar items on the End Cap also, you just have to watch close to see what you get.

I drink Aldi's Almond Chocolate Silk as a snack drink, low in sugar.

2% white milk for my cereal which usually is Post Shredded Wheat w/o sugar talk about blah taste but you get used to it, can actually taste the sugar in the milk now.

I had to give up my Chocolate coated Rice kernels, the sugar was melt in your mouth sweet :lol:

My favorite lunch is a Chef Salad with chopped ham or chicken on it, but the Dentist pulled all of my remaining molars 2 weeks ago.... and the cost of full Dentures exceeds my annual income :? :| :roll:

So, gum it down, is all I can do now.... luckily my daughter is very understanding and invents high protein things for me to eat....
  • gets 2 lbs of fresh hamburger and marinates it overnight in the fridge with her special blends, cooks it into 1/2 inch thick patties.... ummm, good, with melted cheese on it, and a single slice of bread.
life is still good, we adjust and move on.... time to go to town and get a Trailer Tongue Jack for my Haul-Mark enclosed trailer, the old one froze up solid with brown rust :cry:

and, all of the Side Marker lights disappeared somewhere, just pieces of the wires hanging out of the sides of the trailer where someone diked them off :twisted:
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

Has anyone ever seen the manufacturing process of margarine? I have - and I still shudder now.... so I can only strongly agree with Moem: Croissants must be freshly baked and made with butter.

Otherwise in Switzerland, and also loved by me:
Zopf (Züpfe) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zopf
Ticino bread (pane ticinese) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pane_ticinese
all these fine things pure or if available with fresh butter and with one or two huge café au lait (means a double espresso filled up with milk)

and especially appreciated by me: Madeleines and Lingue di gatto - but rather for breakfast dessert.

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madeleine ... 2tisserie)
https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lingue_di_gatto
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

absque fenestris wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:44 am Has anyone ever seen the manufacturing process of margarine? I have - and I still shudder now.... so I can only strongly agree with Moem: Croissants must be freshly baked and made with butter.
been a long time since we bought margarine.....
we only get the 1 lb blocks of Lightly Salted Butter now, sometimes, they are available in 4 sticks to the 1 lb package.
either way, set it out, let it warm up, heavy steak knife and slice into quarters. :wink:
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

AZgl1500 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:56 pm
absque fenestris wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:44 am Has anyone ever seen the manufacturing process of margarine? I have - and I still shudder now.... so I can only strongly agree with Moem: Croissants must be freshly baked and made with butter.
we only get the 1 lb blocks of Lightly Salted Butter now, sometimes, they are available in 4 sticks to the 1 lb package.
either way, set it out, let it warm up, heavy steak knife and slice into quarters. :wink:
I like Land O Lakes butter with olive oil and sea salt. The use of sea salt is a bit of a gimmick since all salt once came from the sea but the olive oil, besides tasting good, softens the butter to make it spreadable, even right out of the butter keeper in the 'fridge door (I have to keep it in the 'fridge since I use so little, it would go rancid long before I could use it up if I left out like many people do).
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:16 pm
I like Land O Lakes butter with olive oil and sea salt. The use of sea salt is a bit of a gimmick since all salt once came from the sea but the olive oil, besides tasting good, softens the butter to make it spreadable, even right out of the butter keeper in the 'fridge door (I have to keep it in the 'fridge since I use so little, it would go rancid long before I could use it up if I left out like many people do).
I seem to remember that also,
we leave our butter out on the counter under a cover dish to keep the knats out of it :x

Aldi's does not stock Land O Lakes :(

the local grocery store does, but my tithings can only go so far... :( courtesy of our new Economy valet :twisted:
Mick-Cork
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mick-Cork »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:25 pm
Hi Mick-Cork...Then how do you explain those huge, Gut Buster, breakfasts i've seen other American/Irish being served at the B&Bs in Tip, Cork and Kerry ???...lol...i always would just have eggs and bacon, (Irish bacon is the best in the world...lol), and toast and tea and of course juice...Thats my idea of a good breakfast in Ireland...I've never considered Donuts or pasties a breakfast myself...DAMIEN
It's an anomaly Damien methinks, something along the lines that if you're paying someone else for it they better fill the plate up.
Those B&B ladies have it down to a fine art as well, you won't start the day hungry if they have their way!
She'll consider her job one done well if you leave with a few inches extra around the waist, and the bigger you are to start with the more you'll need too :)

And yes, Irish bacon, yummmmmmmm...

To give Ireland it's due though, the appreciation for good food has definitely increased over the last number of years. Michelin star restaurants popping up in the most unlikeliest of places, not just in towns and cities, but in rural villages too. Dare I say it, it's got quite sophisticated in a genuine sort of way. Cork city, and West Cork itself have become foodie destinations so we're a bit spoilt for choice these days. Who'd a thunk it! :)
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

AZgl1500 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:21 pm
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:16 pm

I seem to remember that also,
we leave our butter out on the counter under a cover dish to keep the knats out of it :x

Aldi's does not stock Land O Lakes :(

the local grocery store does, but my tithings can only go so far... :( courtesy of our new Economy valet :twisted:
Friends I know who leave out their butter also use covered butter dishes or butter "boats" that use water to evaporatively cool the butter. I don't use enough butter for even butter boats to work.

In my neck of the desert, Frys is the local Kroger affiliate. They used to stock Land O Lakes and even had a Kroger generic brand of it but they discontinued both (along with several other brands I use, which is why I rarely shop there anymore; WinCo is much better now). We don't have ALDIs here but I've been to one in SOCAL a couple of times (I was not impressed).
Jeannie

AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:41 pm In my neck of the desert, Frys is the local Kroger affiliate. They used to stock Land O Lakes and even had a Kroger generic brand of it but they discontinued both (along with several other brands I use, which is why I rarely shop there anymore; WinCo is much better now). We don't have ALDIs here but I've been to one in SOCAL a couple of times (I was not impressed).
Aldi's is going through a real update over the past year.

we have two of them within driving distance, and their stores are very clean, well stocked, and Affordable.

the closest store was remodeled and doubled in floor space and reopened about 6 months ago.

I like the way they control the shopping carts, all lined up in a row, takes a Quarter to unlock and use one.
take it back, and retrieve your Quarter, or as I do a lot of times, catch a senior who is senior to me and I give them my cart.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

AZgl1500 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:49 pm ...I like the way they control the shopping carts, all lined up in a row, takes a Quarter to unlock and use one.
take it back, and retrieve your Quarter, or as I do a lot of times, catch a senior who is senior to me and I give them my cart.
I like the way they control their carts (trolleys for our English speaking friends on the other side of the pond or down under). It seems to be quite effective at keeping carts from cluttering up the parking lots (car parks) or "exploring the neighborhood". My problem is I don't carry change with me unless I have my purse with me (which is rarely anymore; I keep getting more and more butch every day). I do have some in my truck but me remember to grab a quarter? Yeah, right.

At other stores, I make a point of grabbing a cart out in the parking lot and rolling it to the store; even if I'm not going to use it; it's one less cart the cart wranglers have to round up. I also try to return the cart to the store when I'm finished with it but, sometimes, I just don't have the stamina to do so and do good just to get the cart the cart to a cart corral.
Jeannie

Return to “Open Chat”