Donuts and other breakfast pastries

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Donuts and other breakfast pastries

Post by AndyMH »

butter "boats" that use water to evaporatively cool the butter.
Back when I was a lad, we're talking 1950's here, we had similar. Imagine a box about a foot cubed, door on front and dished top. You poured water on the top, it evaporated and cooled the contents. Must of been made of terracotta or similar. Then we all got richer and got fridges.

Didn't realise you had Aldi in the states. Together with Lidl, also German, they have taken major market share from the big UK supermarkets. A quarter - you're lucky, over here it's a £1 coin.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

A bit off topic.

I made cornbread casserole for breakfast this morning and it was delicious ingredients eggs / rotel / diced onions / diced potatoes.

I like Aldi.
Last year we said, 'Things can't go on like this', and they didn't, they got worse.
[Will Rogers]

There are two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither works.
[Will Rogers]
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

151tom wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:28 pm A bit off topic.

I made cornbread casserole for breakfast this morning and it was delicious ingredients eggs / rotel / diced onions / diced potatoes.

I like Aldi.
What? No corn?
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

Nope didn't have any and at 4am in the morning wasn't no stores open yet.
Last year we said, 'Things can't go on like this', and they didn't, they got worse.
[Will Rogers]

[Will Rogers]
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:57 pm
151tom wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:28 pm A bit off topic.

I like Aldi.
What? No corn?
Who puts corn in cornbread casserole?

hahaha j/k
151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

I have it mixes well and cornbread casserole ain't really no different then cornbread just got more stuff in.
[Will Rogers]

[Will Rogers]
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Moem wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:46 am
MurphCID wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:12 am I like a nice Croissant fresh from being warmed in the oven.
If you have the chance, try a freshly baked one. Made with real butter, not margarine. It's something else entirely. No topping needed, well... maybe a spot of jam or marmelade.
Fresh ones are really, really hard to find here. But I could not imagine one with margarine, blech. Real butter or nothing.
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

Can't eat pastries of any kind. They will ruin my day :(
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Pepi wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:47 am Can't eat pastries of any kind. They will ruin my day :(
I am getting close to that point, not from my Taste Buds, but from my A1C tests :oops:

So, my daughter, the ever diligent sleuth keeps looking and found me two very precious items to add to my repertoire...

Available in Cinnamon Roll and Fudge Brownie flavors ( maybe more? )
and oh my gawd, does it ever taste good.

Image Image

LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

Those are excellent.
[Will Rogers]

[Will Rogers]
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

AZgl1500 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:15 am
Pepi wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:47 am Can't eat pastries of any kind. They will ruin my day :(
I am getting close to that point, not from my Taste Buds, but from my A1C tests :oops:

So, my daughter, the ever diligent sleuth keeps looking and found me two very precious items to add to my repertoire...

Available in Cinnamon Roll and Fudge Brownie flavors ( maybe more? )
and oh my gawd, does it ever taste good.

Image Image

Most those taste pretty terrible as a general rule, it is nice to see one that does not taste terrible.
kelevra
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kelevra »

I'm with MurphCID on this one, a nice warm apple fritter is grand at about 10 am. For breakfast, the closest I come to a pastry is a toasted bagel with creme cheese. None of that flavoured cr@p either.
"None of us is as smart as all of us." Ken Blanchard

Mint 21 Cinnamon
AMD© R5 2600 @ stock 16GiB

Mint 20.2 Cinnamon
Intel© Celeron© CPU B820 @ 1.70GHz 8GiB
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

My favorite is just the usual glazed donuts. There's a donut place around here called "Taste Donuts" and they make great donuts. Dunkin Donuts also makes great donuts. I have never understood why so many like Krispy Cream donuts. Their donuts are so much smaller than anybody else's. And more important, they don't taste as good as the previous mentioned places.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Schultz wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:02 am My favorite is just the usual glazed donuts. There's a donut place around here called "Taste Donuts" and they make great donuts. Dunkin Donuts also makes great donuts. I have never understood why so many like Krispy Cream donuts. Their donuts are so much smaller than anybody else's. And more important, they don't taste as good as the previous mentioned places.
They are nasty sweet as well.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

MurphCID wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:51 pm
Schultz wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:02 am My favorite is just the usual glazed donuts. There's a donut place around here called "Taste Donuts" and they make great donuts. Dunkin Donuts also makes great donuts. I have never understood why so many like Krispy Cream donuts. Their donuts are so much smaller than anybody else's. And more important, they don't taste as good as the previous mentioned places.
They are nasty sweet as well.
"Nasty" being the polite term.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

One thick slice of freshly baked whole wheat bread (about 80-90 grammes), baked with an earlier version of this baking machine:
https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-SD-YD2 ... B00005QFL0

Usually covered with sprinkles made from pure dark chocolate, or with locally produced honey. Yum.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
chiefjim
Level 6
Level 6

Post by chiefjim »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:10 pm
AZgl1500 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:49 pm ...I like the way they control the shopping carts, all lined up in a row, takes a Quarter to unlock and use one.
take it back, and retrieve your Quarter, or as I do a lot of times, catch a senior who is senior to me and I give them my cart.
I like the way they control their carts (trolleys for our English speaking friends on the other side of the pond or down under). It seems to be quite effective at keeping carts from cluttering up the parking lots (car parks) or "exploring the neighborhood". My problem is I don't carry change with me unless I have my purse with me (which is rarely anymore; I keep getting more and more butch every day). I do have some in my truck but me remember to grab a quarter? Yeah, right.

At other stores, I make a point of grabbing a cart out in the parking lot and rolling it to the store; even if I'm not going to use it; it's one less cart the cart wranglers have to round up. I also try to return the cart to the store when I'm finished with it but, sometimes, I just don't have the stamina to do so and do good just to get the cart the cart to a cart corral.
I like the way H-E-B hires enough staff to handle the parking lot. First being numerous cart corrals. They fetch the carts so often I often have the person waiting by me to take the carts back to the store. Still wiping them down for us as well.
Mint-21.0 Mate 64 bit / LMDE-5 64 bit
Gigabyte H370M D3H
Intel G3258
Crucial Ballistic Sport 32GB DDR4 2400
8TB HDD Seagate Baracuda 5400rpm
chiefjim
Level 6
Level 6

Post by chiefjim »

How about muffins? Pleasant surprise near me is the Costco bakery section. Fresh, light and very tasty. The blueberries nearly fall out when you take a bite. The apple cinnamon is just scrumptious. Only fear is the health hazard of not having the willpower to have just one at a time. (not followed by another and another)
Mint-21.0 Mate 64 bit / LMDE-5 64 bit
Gigabyte H370M D3H
Intel G3258
Crucial Ballistic Sport 32GB DDR4 2400
8TB HDD Seagate Baracuda 5400rpm
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Even before I really started paying attention to what I was eating (or, more to the point, what's in what I am eating) earlier this year, I normally didn't have pastries for breakfast. Not never, but just not all that often. The European and American notions of "breakfast" can and in fact do vary, widely.

At this point, I'm generally eating Cheerios and raisin bran cereal, or oatmeal, for breakfast. I'm trying my best to up my good cholesterol and lower my bad cholesterol. My next step, once I've recovered from thyroid surgery, will be to seeing what kinds of exercise I might do. I'm primarily thinking walking and bike riding, but also maybe basic weight lifting once I know everything has fully healed. I would like to get rid of the extra kilos I've piled on in the past five years and change, and also I just want to be a healthier person.

[OFF TOPIC]

A few years ago I got off of all social media (well, ok, I was only on Facebook and Twitter) and I've been trying to strike an appropriate balance between watching/reading news so that I know what's going on in the world around me, and not getting so obsessed with it that it drags me down the way social media was. I guess you can think of it as being the first stage in trying to live a healthier lifestyle. Everything I've said above (along with the link to another thread) kind of constitutes a second part to that.

Also, I recently upgraded to the Samsung Galaxy Watch 3, which as near as I can tell has the same features as the latest Apple Watches, including fall detection, EKG monitoring, blood oxygenation monitoring, etc. It's so critical that we are aware as early as possible that "something might be going on" because that's the key to proper diagnosis and taking appropriate measures to remain healthy and maintain quality of life. I can't recommend highly enough that you folks take advantage of the technology which is out there.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

@Portreve: Get well soon!

Walking is, in my experience, the number 1 physical exercise to keep me fit. Both physically and mentally. One hour of walking in the open air every day, preferably in the woods. That's what I strive for and that's what I usually manage to achieve. I find it to be essential for my well-being. Bicycling is only a second best for me.

You can make your walk as brisk as you like; thus making it more sportive or more leisurely, depending on your physical fitness or simply on your mood.

While I personally would certainly benefit from five kilos weight loss, and perhaps even from seven or eight, walking helps to keep my weight (just!) within the upper range of a healthy BMI.

Another tip for weight control: just eliminate those bad foods from your diet, that you don't really like very much. Only keep eating (now and then) the bad foods that you do really love. Easy to do and easy to keep up....

Only go to the supermarket with a full stomach, don't keep a stock of bad foods in your house, etc. Only easy rules are durable, in my experience.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Return to “Open Chat”