Well the countdown has begun...

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Well the countdown has begun...

Post by MurphCID »

Retirement date: 6 May, 2022. At this time I foresee nothing that can change my mind. It is getting harder, and harder to get up and go to work. 281 days left. I told my wife for the first two weeks do not ask me to do ANYTHING! She retires in February after 43 years on the job.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Well the countdown has begun...

Post by Moem »

MurphCID wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:20 am I told my wife for the first two weeks do not ask me to do ANYTHING!
Do you expect her to do things? Can you hire someone to do the things?
Things have a habit of needing to be done.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Moem wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:39 am
MurphCID wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:20 am I told my wife for the first two weeks do not ask me to do ANYTHING!
Do you expect her to do things? Can you hire someone to do the things?
Things have a habit of needing to be done.
+1
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
senjoz
Level 5
Level 5

Post by senjoz »

MurphCID, it is the right time to prepare yourself for a possible "retirement crisis". After two weeks of doing nothing you would certainly like to fill your free time with doing something. Linux Mint forums would not be enough for that.

Regards, Jože
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I absolutely understand guys, but for the first two weeks I don't want to be told or give an orders to do anything if I want to get up and go out and work in the yard and set up a flower bed or do whatever I want to I want to do it because I want to do it not because I get ordered to do it. I've already had a large number of defense lawyers asking me if I would come to work for them after I retired. I told them for the first two weeks after I'm retired absolutely not beyond that I would think about it if the money was right. I want to be able to get up in the morning, and if I want to go drink coffee and take my time. Knowing that I have no meetings no staff events and no pressure.

I told my wife when she retires I'm not going to ask her to do a darn thing I'm going to let her do whatever she wants to for the first two weeks. And she said that she wanted to be retired at least three months before I retired so she could have time to be at home and work on her sewing projects and I told her that was absolutely fine.

One of the things I want to do with my new found free time is actually to learn to use Linux. And maybe learn how to do some light programming. And then do some traveling and take some more photographs.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Maybe I was lucky being in the consultancy business. When I hit 60 I dropped to a four day week, then a couple of years later a three day week. There was no falling off a cliff when I finally retired in 2018, a gentle slide into retirement. Client then wanted me back so I went back for a few months on 2-3 days a week on a very lucrative day rate as a subbie. Done a few weeks since and have recently been approached by a couple of companies. Do I want it? No, I like retirement and don't know how I found time to go to work :D
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

The Retirement Syndrome

I took early retirement, 3 weeks early, and we then did a 2 month trip round western Australian. When I got back I was on holiday, mentally. I also got called back a few times to help out.
"You've always go a grin on your face."
"Yes, I'm out of here in 5 minutes, you've got to work a whole day 5 times a week."

Someone from another section retired a year or so later and said it took him 9 months to get used to it.

It is all in the mind, as they say.

From my "name" Rollyshed, something set up in Australia and spread to civilised countries (only 12 in USA, I wonder why?) is Men's Sheds. We work for them and the morning cup of tea (or coffee) is the key part. You turn up if you want to, woodwork, metal work, computers, electrical, etc. Earnings got to the Shed or you do things for yourself. For me a lot of laptops now have SSDs and are not going to be landfill.

Other things, how about a 1946 Singer sewing machine, a complete rewire needed. There was a 1911 Singer getting a new wooden base and to go on show though it could still work. A breadmaker, two blown thermal fuses, etc. etc... Keep the mind occupied.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

RollyShed wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:00 pm how about a 1946 Singer sewing machine, a complete rewire needed. There was a 1911 Singer getting a new wooden base and to go on show though it could still work. A breadmaker, two blown thermal fuses, etc. etc... Keep the mind occupied.
Repairing stuff is always satisfying and it's good for the mind, the planet and the wallet.
In the Moem household, we have lots of tools and we love fixing stuff. Laptops, bicycles, you name it. Recently we fixed a toaster from 1956 or thereabouts, a gorgeous lump of chrome and it works as well as a new one again, I spent all of €1,45 on the necessary parts.

I'm recently obsessed by Pebble smartwatches, they too can be fixed! The battery can be replaced, and I've learned how to fix screen tearing (they have an e-paper screen). They work well with my smartphone that runs Ubuntu Touch.
I think I'll replace the phone's battery one of these days...

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

Moem wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:18 pm Recently we fixed a toaster from 1956 or thereabouts, a gorgeous lump of chrome and it works as well as a new one again, I spent all of €1,45 on the necessary parts.
I started my apprenticeship doing that. Two makes were Morphy Richards and Ultimate. A 1956 one would have been 5 years old then.

Bikes, always fixed them and now have to instruct how to fix them. I haven't built any wheels for a long time.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

When I finally retired for keeps (I retired from one company, the one that provides my pension and medical, then worked at a convenience store to supplement my pension until Social Security could kick in), I was so fed up with Corporate America's BS, I had absolutely no trouble adjusting. I probably would be healthier now had I been able to shed the job related stress sooner.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

RollyShed wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:33 pm Two makes were Morphy Richards and Ultimate.
Ours is a Morphy Richards. 'Made in England'. Very nice.

RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

Moem wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:47 am
RollyShed wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:33 pm Two makes were Morphy Richards and Ultimate.
Ours is a Morphy Richards. 'Made in England'. Very nice.
Four screws at the bottom, unscrew the screw on the underside of the push down knob and remove, pull off the timer knob, wriggle the cover off and it is all accessible for servicing. We never "fixed" elements, only replaced them. Sometimes the timer needed work on it, clean the contacts etc.
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ ... -246558540

That probably proves my memory is reasonable.... sometimes.

The Ultimate was harder to get into but the elements could be replaced without dismantling it.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

RollyShed wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:55 am We never "fixed" elements, only replaced them.
You probably could get those, yeah. It's 50 years later and the wrong country. We had to improvise.
The €1,45 paid for a sheet of mica so we could add some insulation against short circuiting the wire; it was dangerously close to another metal part. All better now.

RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

Moem wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:10 am
RollyShed wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:55 am We never "fixed" elements, only replaced them.
You probably could get those, yeah. It's 50 years later and the wrong country. We had to improvise.
What did I say about what hair I have left is grey? Very grey... err white?
chiefjim
Level 6
Level 6

Post by chiefjim »

MurphCID wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:20 am Retirement date: 6 May, 2022. At this time I foresee nothing that can change my mind. It is getting harder, and harder to get up and go to work. 281 days left. I told my wife for the first two weeks do not ask me to do ANYTHING! She retires in February after 43 years on the job.
I retired 10 years ago. Question most often presented to me is am I bored yet? Quick answer being nope, don't have time to get bored. In the beginning time spent on activities that a work schedule would have interfered with. Such as a multi day painting project. Later on mixing in those pesky medical appointments. For the most part it is the flexibility of time that is so wonderful. Like scheduling those appointments to the day and time of day that suits me. Another being one you'll identify with, after watching the news and weather, determining that two days from now might be ideal for mowing with cool morning temps and lower humidity.
Mint-21.0 Mate 64 bit / LMDE-5 64 bit
Gigabyte H370M D3H
Intel G3258
Crucial Ballistic Sport 32GB DDR4 2400
8TB HDD Seagate Baracuda 5400rpm
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

chiefjim wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:26 am
MurphCID wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:20 am Retirement date: 6 May, 2022. At this time I foresee nothing that can change my mind. It is getting harder, and harder to get up and go to work. 281 days left. I told my wife for the first two weeks do not ask me to do ANYTHING! She retires in February after 43 years on the job.
I retired 10 years ago. Question most often presented to me is am I bored yet? Quick answer being nope, don't have time to get bored. In the beginning time spent on activities that a work schedule would have interfered with. Such as a multi day painting project. Later on mixing in those pesky medical appointments. For the most part it is the flexibility of time that is so wonderful. Like scheduling those appointments to the day and time of day that suits me. Another being one you'll identify with, after watching the news and weather, determining that two days from now might be ideal for mowing with cool morning temps and lower humidity.
I agree. I want to be able to get up in the morning when I want to get up, do what I want, and not be a slave to the tyranny of a time clock. I also look forward to doing things around the house and learning new things on MY schedule. I might even take some classes in Linux.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

It is funny, supervisors, our Texas Ranger, and people at the prosecutors office are begging me NOT to retire, other investigators and such are asking "are you leaving yet (they want my slot and to get promoted)?". I am hearing rumors of a decent pay raise and a honking huge increase in longevity pay, and if that happens, I would be stupid to retire before 30 years in. But I SO want to retire. I want to be able to get up and go to Black Rifle and just sit and do what I want to do.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

But I SO want to retire. I want to be able to get up and go to Black Rifle and just sit and do what I want to do.
Being a former LT. "Leo" myself, i was told that life expectancy after retirement from "the job" is normally 2 to 5 years because most do not stay active, don't take care of the resulting hypertension etc...I took care of mine and am doing fine many years after retirement...Normal life expectancy of men in my family, (yes, some were cops or fire fighters), is between 57 to 59 years...ive beat them all so far at 66 years old...Keep up with those medical appointments, keep active, and eating right is the key to beating the stats on this.

As i have told family and friends..."I refuse to take a "dirt nap" and make so many people happy all at once"...lol...DAMIEN
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:48 am
But I SO want to retire. I want to be able to get up and go to Black Rifle and just sit and do what I want to do.
Being a former LT. "Leo" myself, i was told that life expectancy after retirement from "the job" is normally 2 to 5 years because most do not stay active, don't take care of the resulting hypertension etc...I took care of mine and am doing fine many years after retirement...Normal life expectancy of men in my family, (yes, some were cops or fire fighters), is between 57 to 59 years...ive beat them all so far at 66 years old...Keep up with those medical appointments, keep active, and eating right is the key to beating the stats on this.

As i have told family and friends..."I refuse to take a "dirt nap" and make so many people happy all at once"...lol...DAMIEN
Completely understand, right now I am always too tired to do things from the stress at work, but I am looking forward to lots of projects and things to do after I retire. I might take up photography again.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Being a former LT. "Leo" myself, i was told that life expectancy after retirement from "the job" is normally 2 to 5 years...
Over here, when I was a lot younger, I saw too many civil servants (I was in the defence industry), retire at 60 and peg out a couple of years later.

All I can say is that what worked for me was sliding into retirement - hitting 60, dropping to a four day week, couple of years later a three day week. There was no cliff to fall off. If you have the option for this take it.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0

Return to “Open Chat”