Re: Travel thread

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

the world 's biggest rock:
https://www.thetravel.com/largest-monol ... hest-rock/
I've been to #3 many years ago . .
https://ulurutoursaustralia.com.au/blog ... gest-rock/

we are planning to goto an rock that is Not on that list,
& is even bigger than those:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVOgDd98OYE
:)
Last edited by SMG on Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Locked to prevent spam from being added.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Beerislife

Post by Beerislife »

Last year I was supposed to go to these places, in order:

Cambodia (Siem Reap) for a few nights to check the craft beer scene and eat!

Hong Kong for a few nights to revisit the craft beer scene and eat!

Osaka for one night to a brewery anniversary party.

Thailand for a month to visit Chit Beer and eat some delish food!

And possibly Taipei near the end of the year for the same reasons above!

Thanks to Covid none of that happened!
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

I don't like long travels, but here are a few outings on my travel bucket list:

- Re-visiting the Modern museum (modern art) and the Art & History museum in Brussels, Belgium (likely to happen first, because it's within driving distance of my house);
- Some good bullfights in Spain, in Granada and/or in Madrid (note to self: take along Hemingway's "Death in the Afternoon");
- The Hermitage in St. Petersburg, Russia;
- A visit to a mineral bath in Budapest, Hungary;
- Firing an AK-47 on a shooting range in Poland, preferably near beautiful Krakau/Krakow (which I've never been to yet);
- Re-visiting southern Italy, for the glorious mix of sunshine, good food, fine wine and ancient culture. In the spring or in the autumn, because the summer is far too hot.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Beerislife

Post by Beerislife »

I hate long flights so anywhere in Europe, or even London is out! Twelve hours in a flying coffin in cattle class is too much for me. Six hours to Bangkok is about as much as I can take. I've never been to Korea (Seoul) just transferred flights there. It's close but I really don't have the urge to go there. Pyongyang maybe? :D

I'm not a big fan of domestic travel, but since I'm stuck here that's the best I can hope for...
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

Pjotr wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:23 am - The Hermitage in St. Petersburg, Russia;
I highly recommend it. I visited 30 years ago and found a day was not enough to explore all its wonders.
Cliff Coggin
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Ever since Covid first reared its ugly head, every time I made plans to travel, I had to cancel them because so many people are too stupid and/or selfish to do what it takes to get this monster disease under control, causing repeated surges. Because of my advancing age and decreasing health (not to mention the increasingly toxic political climate and bigotry in parts of the SSA), I'm probably not going to be able to travel to destinations I would love to--visiting extended family, family, and friends and seeing Ireland--before I die. I'm not making anymore plans until this *&^%$#@! pandemic is over and it's again safe and responsible to travel, which I'm beginning to think will be never.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Mick-Cork
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mick-Cork »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:03 am I'm probably not going to be able to travel to destinations I would love to--visiting extended family, family, and friends and seeing Ireland--before I die. I'm not making anymore plans until this *&^%$#@! pandemic is over and it's again safe and responsible to travel, which I'm beginning to think will be never.
Hi Lady F :)
I saw your comment about Ireland so thought I'd drop you some (hopefully optimistic) thoughts. Ireland, or more accurately the people, is pretty good when it comes to respecting others attitude to Covid. If the opportunity does ever arrive I think you'd be relatively safe once here. A couple of considerations though if you do get the chance:

- Avoid July and August, crowds in the popular areas due to many holidaying in country.
- After flying in to a city location, try and move outwards to avoid the inevitable difficulty of social distancing.
- Check out the 'Wild Atlantic Way'. It's a touring route all along the west coast and you'll get 'real Ireland'.
- Obviously the Irish weather can be unpredictable, but late April, May, June, September (and occasionally early October) can be nice.

I'm not sure how effective the vaccines will ultimately prove to be, but as it stands Ireland is moving ahead compared to many with rolling it out. You might already have had an itinerary in mind but hopefully some extra thoughts welcome. Don't give up on the idea, we all need to think there's light at the end of this tunnel.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Long story, (relatively¹) short version.

When I was a child, my parents and I would travel down to Florida every summer for vacation. This started out as about a week or so and I think went to about 3 weeks. Then, we moved down here when my dad took early retirement, we moved down here and then started going back up north every summer for several years. So, needless to say I spent (strictly as a passenger) a LOT of time on I-75² and I really enjoyed it. Mostly we just traveled back and forth between Ohio and Florida (and therefore through Kentucky, Tennessee, and Georgia) but we did sometimes go elsewhere, and I always enjoyed being in motion and seeing the rolling hills and cliff faces and forested areas and valleys pass by.

Eventually, I grew up and my folks had gotten a divorce, and we just didn't travel any more. I got into the working world, and apart from the incredibly infrequent trip some place, I'd completely forgotten about being on the road and going places.

About a gazillion years later, I took my present job, and that involves me driving to lots of different locations to do auditing work. So I have basically driven just about everywhere from as far south as Everglades City to as far north as the north end of the Tampa/Clearwater/St. Peterburg area and peninsula, and inland along I-4, and many other areas as well. It's completely reawakened my sense of adventure and exploration, and even through in about two years' time I've put the better part of 100,000 miles (~ 160.934,00 km) on a car I bought in July of 2019, I have to say I love traveling.

Last fall, a friend of mine of many years came down here to visit, and the two of us drove all the way down to Key West (now that is a drive!) and then back up into Miami, and across and up to Tampa, before coming back to my house. It was soooooooooo cool! I never knew about the wild chickens and roosters they have wandering all about the southern island (actual Key West), and likewise the same up in Ybor City in the Tampa area. So very cool to see!

In 2019, I flew (since driving is kind of discouraged) to Germany and spent a week there. How I wish I could have stayed for longer. Beautiful country. I can't wait to go back.

¹ Bwahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!

² For our European members, when you see an "I" next to a number in relation to an American road, that means "interstate". The proper full name for this system is the "Eisenhower Interstate System", and it's so named because General (later to become President) Eisenhower was so taken with and impressed by the German Autobahn system that he would go on to lobby the U.S. Congress for a similar thing here. Up to that point, the U.S. was nothing more than a patchwork quilt of local rural roads. In fact, as you travel around on the Interstate system, you will periodically see road signs with the five stars of a General and "Eisenhower Interstate System" to commemorate its history. So, thank you, Germany!
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Portreve wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:28 pm In 2019, I flew (since driving is kind of discouraged) to Germany and spent a week there. How I wish I could have stayed for longer. Beautiful country. I can't wait to go back.
A tip: a relatively unknown gem is the Pfälzer Wald, just south of Kaiserslautern:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Palts ... 67!5m1!1e4

It's a beautiful deciduous forest, with many hills, castle ruins and interesting small villages. On the south-east there's a wine area which produces fine wines. Furthermore, you're very close to France, so you can also make some trips there (highly recommended outing: Strassburg).

I've spent several great holidays in the Pfälzer Wald. It's my number one German holiday destination.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Mick-Cork wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:44 am
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:03 am I'm probably not going to be able to travel to destinations I would love to--visiting extended family, family, and friends and seeing Ireland--before I die. I'm not making anymore plans until this *&^%$#@! pandemic is over and it's again safe and responsible to travel, which I'm beginning to think will be never.
Hi Lady F :)
I saw your comment about Ireland so thought I'd drop you some (hopefully optimistic) thoughts. Ireland, or more accurately the people, is pretty good when it comes to respecting others attitude to Covid. If the opportunity does ever arrive I think you'd be relatively safe once here. A couple of considerations though if you do get the chance:

- Avoid July and August, crowds in the popular areas due to many holidaying in country.
- After flying in to a city location, try and move outwards to avoid the inevitable difficulty of social distancing.
- Check out the 'Wild Atlantic Way'. It's a touring route all along the west coast and you'll get 'real Ireland'.
- Obviously the Irish weather can be unpredictable, but late April, May, June, September (and occasionally early October) can be nice.

I'm not sure how effective the vaccines will ultimately prove to be, but as it stands Ireland is moving ahead compared to many with rolling it out. You might already have had an itinerary in mind but hopefully some extra thoughts welcome. Don't give up on the idea, we all need to think there's light at the end of this tunnel.
Thanks for the tips, Mick! One problem with avoiding July and August is those are the months usually with the best weather. I live in a hot, bone dry desert and what you all call a "soft day" is what people in my neck of the desert would call cold, torrential rain. A duck I am not. :wink:

All seriousness aside, with the way the SSA keeps "dropping the ball" on how to deal with Covid, it may be years before it is truly safe to travel. I'm in my seventies and doubt I'll live to see 80, if I even make it that far (and, frankly, the way the SSA and the rest of the World keeps going south in a hand-basket, I'm not sure I even want to).
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Beerislife

Post by Beerislife »

Since I can't go to Thailand this year again, we've been doing short domestic trips. One place we go to regularly 2 or 3 times a year is only about an hour away by train but we stay one or two nights depending on the room deal. There's a great vegan restaurant that serves local craft beer and I can get bottles and cans to drink in the hotel.

That's Kamakura/Zushi in Kanagawa.

About ten 10 days ago we took the train up to Nikko in Tochigi, it's famous for its waterfall but I went there mainly to go to a small brewpub. We stayed at a really nice hotel only minutes walk from a temple/shrine complex.

Next week we'll take trains and buses up to Nozawa Onsen in Nagano. I hate onsen, I can't understand people sharing baths and it's way too hot. I'm a cold shower in the morning type of person! Anyway, there's a brewpub opposite the hotel we booked! My mission is to eat and drink!

It would be better to go to some places by car but I will not drive here, even though I'd had a licence for ages! I prefer a beer!
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Pjotr wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:12 pm
Portreve wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:28 pm In 2019, I flew (since driving is kind of discouraged) to Germany and spent a week there. How I wish I could have stayed for longer. Beautiful country. I can't wait to go back.
A tip: a relatively unknown gem is the Pfälzer Wald, just south of Kaiserslautern:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Palts ... 67!5m1!1e4

It's a beautiful deciduous forest, with many hills, castle ruins and interesting small villages. On the south-east there's a wine area which produces fine wines. Furthermore, you're very close to France, so you can also make some trips there (highly recommended outing: Strassburg).

I've spent several great holidays in the Pfälzer Wald. It's my number one German holiday destination.

By your command.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

So how wide a world have some travelled?
Me?
All of New Zealand, large parts of Australia. Singapore and up through Malaysia through Thailand. Bits of Japan, a little of India, trekked along parts of the Himalayas, kayak circumnavigated Vanua Levu, Fiji, done most of Samoa, bicycled up the coast of California, worked (sort of) in Silicon Valley and a bit at JPL in LA, kayaked north of Vancouver Island (Haida Gwaii), seen Vancouver, train through the Rocky Mountains to Winnipeg, been to the Oskosh airshow, Niagara Falls and bus and train to Nova Scotia and then circuited about half of all of it. Boston for half a day. A circuit of Europe. Scotland, down through England. Circuit of Ireland. Sailed a yacht from the Philippines to Japan.
Africa? No. South America? No.
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

Post by gittiest personITW »

Mick wrote
- Obviously the Irish weather can be unpredictable,
No, its not unpredictable.
It will rain. :lol:
That is why it is so lush and it makes the guinness taste sweeter.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Of course the really wise man will say: "I prefer a voyage autour de ma chambre". :lol:
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

gittiest personITW wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:02 pm Mick wrote
- Obviously the Irish weather can be unpredictable,
No, its not unpredictable.
It will rain. :lol:
That is why it is so lush and it makes the guinness taste sweeter.
That's a lot like Arizona. Predict no rain every day and you will be wrong only a few times a year.
Jeannie

YongzeX
Level 1
Level 1

Post by YongzeX »

Those places are insane! I visited Sugarloaf Mountain in Brazil, Ben Amera, Mauritania, and Stawamus Chief, Canada. They are all magnificent, and I can't say that one of them is better than the rest. I wanted to visit Uluru, Australia, and Rock Of Gibraltar, British Overseas Territory, by the end of this year. Well, it seems they are going to be my primary destinations for the following year. However, there is one terrible issue. I wouldn't say I like planes. Whenever I go for a long-distance trip, I try to avoid planes. I prefer to check the timetables on https://www.dbfahrplan.com/de/ and take the damn train. I know it takes much more time when compared to the plane, but it's safer. Sometimes I also prefer boats and ships.
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

YongzeX wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:14 pm I wanted to visit Uluru, Australia, .. I try to avoid planes.
Maybe by ship to Australia but most definitely by train from Adelaide to Alice Springs and a bus trip out to the rock. We took a two day bus trip and looked at other rocks too. The train will after that take you north to Darwin.
Last edited by RollyShed on Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
busdriver12
Level 3
Level 3

Post by busdriver12 »

I've never been outside of Australia, however I have been overseas (Tasmania :wink: ).

My wife and I went on a caravan trip around Australia in 2007/2008 and it amazed me as to how much there is to see just in this country. We barely scratched the surface and hope to go places we never visited on our original trip when we retire. I would like to get to Mt Augustus here in WA as featured by Pierre.

However, on my bucket list are the more colder parts of the world which include Norway, Iceland, Canada and Alaska to mention a few.

At present, I will wait and see how the pandemic progresses and what travel restrictions are imposed.

Hoping 2022 will be a lot better...
Phil

Linux Mint 21.3
Cinnamon 6.0.4
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

LiamDuncan wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:41 am I miss normal travel so much. Haven't been anywhere for 3 years.
Same here. If people would stop traveling so much, spreading their viruses, maybe this stupid pandemic would finally be under control.
Jeannie

Return to “Open Chat”