Christmas shopping start

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Christmas shopping start

Post by MurphCID »

Well after I get mobile again, I am starting my annual Christmas shopping spree. I have decided that I will get the Spouse Unit a new laptop (retirement laptop) and decided on this one: https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/Configure ... quantity=1 An HP Envy x360 with a Ryzen 5 5500U, 16 gb ram, enhanced screen, 1 tb SSD, and Windows 11 (I will toast that and put Windows 10 on it) Then I will go to Ninite and add all of her other software (iTunes, Chrome, etc). I am also going to get her an iTunes card so she can purchase more music for her iPod. I am also going to get her a 1tb Samsung T5 external SSD for backups.

For the oldest daughter looks to be Amazon gift card and iTunes card. Maybe a Samsung T5 external SSD (1 tb). She is pretty easy for the most part, her Samsung Galaxy Tab S4 is still working well, so I she does not need a new one.

For the youngest, she is easy: $$$$ and LL Bean clothes. She will get a small iTunes card for her phone.

And for me: the new laptop (Xotics PC sells the same model as System 76 but with traditional BIOS) and it is cheaper than System 76 AND I can get it without any branding on it.

The dogs get treatos and perhaps a new dog bed.

So shopping plan is done, and we will see how it goes..... I get my longevity bonus the first week of November, which will pay for it all.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Christmas shopping start

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

"No DVD or CD Drive Included in price"

What? They are charging you for no ODD? I totally cracked up when I saw that! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Yeah it is HP.... But her current Envy Ryzen has been really, really solid.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

My next laptop, whenever that may happen several years from now, will be something from one of the major non-Microsoft licensees (Purism, System76, Pine64, etc.)

Honestly, I'm a little bit surprised you're not going in that direction yourself, MurphCID.

Speaking as someone who still owns his M1 MacBook Air, I've decided to keep it and see how things go, but short of Apple making some very radical changes which I'm certain they will never agree to, it's the very last bit of Apple hardware I'll ever buy.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Portreve wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:09 pm My next laptop, whenever that may happen several years from now, will be something from one of the major non-Microsoft licensees (Purism, System76, Pine64, etc.)

Honestly, I'm a little bit surprised you're not going in that direction yourself, MurphCID.

Speaking as someone who still owns his M1 MacBook Air, I've decided to keep it and see how things go, but short of Apple making some very radical changes which I'm certain they will never agree to, it's the very last bit of Apple hardware I'll ever buy.
Well we’ve had a really, really good luck with Hewlett-Packard laptops. My wife would never be able to use anything other than Microsoft Windows/Microsoft office. So my Christmas list and tech-support has to be able to support various Microsoft products So that’s why I’m going that route. For me the Clevo is going to come without an operating system so I’ll be able to load Mint on it right away, Which will make life pretty decent. For my purposes I might even re-purpose my wife’s old laptop and put something like MX Linux on it to play with. Normally I get the old laptops so I can repurpose them for Linux. I will not purchase another Apple product other than a phone for my wife. The MacBook Pro I have is the first last and only Mac computer I will add to my collection.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

MurphCID wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:17 pm Well we’ve had a really, really good luck with Hewlett-Packard laptops. My wife would never be able to use anything other than Microsoft Windows/Microsoft office. So my Christmas list and tech-support has to be able to support various Microsoft products So that’s why I’m going that route. For me the Clevo is going to come without an operating system so I’ll be able to load Mint on it right away, Which will make life pretty decent. For my purposes I might even re-purpose my wife’s old laptop and put something like MX Linux on it to play with. Normally I get the old laptops so I can repurpose them for Linux. I will not purchase another Apple product other than a phone for my wife. The MacBook Pro I have is the first last and only Mac computer I will add to my collection.
With respect, I don't believe Apple should be trusted because of what they've created, notwithstanding the fact that now they're saying they're going to "delay" putting it out there because of public reaction. I think you should assume that either they are lying and are going to put it out, or they're telling the truth (to an extent) and will still put it out but at a later date. Bear in mind that there's been no talk (that I am aware of) that that overall release of iOS has been delayed. Even if it's delayed, remember it is a release specifically designed to accommodate a backdoor technology and whatever mechanism is used to reach onto the phone to access files. There's no good reason whatsoever to let this into your home — none.

And I'll tell you something else. Samsung's line of smart watches are very nice, possibly even better in some respects, than what Apple's got with the Apple Watch. I presently own both a Galaxy Active 2 and a Galaxy Watch 3. Both are great, though of course the GW3 is newer and better. I use it regularly to keep tabs on my health: heart rate, Blood O₂, EKG. It does all of those things wonderfully. It also has a fall-detection capability.

151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

Portreve wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:09 pm My next laptop, whenever that may happen several years from now, will be something from one of the major non-Microsoft licensees (Purism, System76, Pine64, etc.)

If his Wife is like my Wife than no point in buying anything that isn't Microsoft Windows 11.

I gave the Wife a nice laptop with Linux Mint and OK she tried it and went back to Windows 10.

Hey I gave it a shot and trying to change my Wife from Windows OS to Linux ain't going to happen.
Last year we said, 'Things can't go on like this', and they didn't, they got worse.
[Will Rogers]

There are two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither works.
[Will Rogers]
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Portreve wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:05 pm
MurphCID wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:17 pm Well we’ve had a really, really good luck with Hewlett-Packard laptops. My wife would never be able to use anything other than Microsoft Windows/Microsoft office. So my Christmas list and tech-support has to be able to support various Microsoft products So that’s why I’m going that route. For me the Clevo is going to come without an operating system so I’ll be able to load Mint on it right away, Which will make life pretty decent. For my purposes I might even re-purpose my wife’s old laptop and put something like MX Linux on it to play with. Normally I get the old laptops so I can repurpose them for Linux. I will not purchase another Apple product other than a phone for my wife. The MacBook Pro I have is the first last and only Mac computer I will add to my collection.
With respect, I don't believe Apple should be trusted because of what they've created, notwithstanding the fact that now they're saying they're going to "delay" putting it out there because of public reaction. I think you should assume that either they are lying and are going to put it out, or they're telling the truth (to an extent) and will still put it out but at a later date. Bear in mind that there's been no talk (that I am aware of) that that overall release of iOS has been delayed. Even if it's delayed, remember it is a release specifically designed to accommodate a backdoor technology and whatever mechanism is used to reach onto the phone to access files. There's no good reason whatsoever to let this into your home — none.

And I'll tell you something else. Samsung's line of smart watches are very nice, possibly even better in some respects, than what Apple's got with the Apple Watch. I presently own both a Galaxy Active 2 and a Galaxy Watch 3. Both are great, though of course the GW3 is newer and better. I use it regularly to keep tabs on my health: heart rate, Blood O₂, EKG. It does all of those things wonderfully. It also has a fall-detection capability.
I bought a Samsung galaxy active two for my oldest daughter and she loves it. My youngest had to have the latest Apple Watch, which she paid for with her money. I actually like the Samsung better. But being a heathen I prefer my old regular analog watch. I don’t disagree with your opinion on Apple at all as a matter fact I’m in 100% agreement. The clevo laptop Is the same one that system 76 makes it just has a regular bios and I can get it with no branding and no operating system Which makes it very attractive to me. It’s also on average $150-$200 cheaper than the system 76. https://xoticpc.com/products/sager-np35 ... mize_block
Last edited by MurphCID on Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

151tom wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:55 pm

If his Wife is like my Wife than no point in buying anything that isn't Microsoft Windows 11.

I gave the Wife a nice laptop with Linux Mint and OK she tried it and went back to Windows 10.

Hey I gave it a shot and trying to change my Wife from Windows OS to Linux ain't going to happen.
It sounds like your wife and my wife are cousins or at least soulmates when it comes to only Microsoft products. There is no way under gods green earth that I would ever be able to convince my wife to use LInux.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

In an effort to de-hijack this thread (arrr matey an' a bottle 'o rum!)...

In either March or April of 2019, my Google Nexus 6 died, and seemingly this was the trigger for me doing a bunch of tech purchases from there up until about three months ago or so. Therefore, it's kind of hard for me to find something to buy as a legit Christmas present, either for myself or for my mom, who's been the (thus far) happy recipient of a couple hand-me-down upgrades. So right now she's got a Moto G Power, which seems to really tick all the boxes for her, and I've got a Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra. Oh, and an HP Envy tower, M1 MacBook Air, Logitech ergo keyboard, Logitech MX3 Mouse...

Anyhow, I'm left wondering what I actually need. It will probably be something non-tech related.

151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

MurphCID wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:00 am

It sounds like your wife and my wife are cousins or at least soulmates when it comes to only Microsoft products. There is no way under gods green earth that I would ever be able to convince my wife to use LInux.
Just plain stubborn aren't they. :lol:
Last year we said, 'Things can't go on like this', and they didn't, they got worse.
[Will Rogers]

There are two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither works.
[Will Rogers]
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

151tom wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:04 pm

I swear they have it genetically coded. :) :lol But after almost 33 years I am used to it. She gave me order for NO Christmas gifts as she always does, and as always I will ignore her.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Portreve wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:06 pm In an effort to de-hijack this thread (arrr matey an' a bottle 'o rum!)...

In either March or April of 2019, my Google Nexus 6 died, and seemingly this was the trigger for me doing a bunch of tech purchases from there up until about three months ago or so. Therefore, it's kind of hard for me to find something to buy as a legit Christmas present, either for myself or for my mom, who's been the (thus far) happy recipient of a couple hand-me-down upgrades. So right now she's got a Moto G Power, which seems to really tick all the boxes for her, and I've got a Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra. Oh, and an HP Envy tower, M1 MacBook Air, Logitech ergo keyboard, Logitech MX3 Mouse...

Anyhow, I'm left wondering what I actually need. It will probably be something non-tech related.
Again I completely agree with you here. (Need vs Want thread), there is almost nothing I NEED, I would like the new Pixel 5a phone, but my Pixel 3a is working great. Does the Spouse Unit NEED a new laptop...maybe is the best answer. The Ryzen HP with upgraded drive looks to be my best shot, I will probably get it at Best Buy and have them put a 1 tb drive in it. 8 gb of ram is enough for Windows 10 (NO WINDOWS 11 HERE!).
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

MurphCID wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:27 am

I swear they have it genetically coded. :) :lol But after almost 33 years I am used to it. She gave me order for NO Christmas gifts as she always does, and as always I will ignore her.
And if you didn't ignore her, you would be in seriously deep doo-doo. :wink:
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:21 am
MurphCID wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:27 am
And if you didn't ignore her, you would be in seriously deep doo-doo. :wink:
I am also planning on paying to get her wedding ring that my grandmother gave her (it is an art deco type ring) upsized (we have both gained some weight) so she can wear it again.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Well I am ordering the laptop today, and hopefully it will be accepted gracefully.... I also am going to get a couple of little items today such as a USB-C to Ethernet adapter for the little laptop since my youngest took mine to school with her and she is glad she did. She is constantly complaining about the slow wifi, and I explain she has 300+ people in the dorm using the same WiFi connection that she is using. Now she understands the beauty of Ethernet.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Got the Spouse Unit's new laptop ordered along with 16 gb of ram to put in it. So I got her the HP Envy Ryzen 7 with 512gb SSD. It comes with Windows 10 NOT 11. That was the rush. Her old laptop will become the emergency laptop for the house. It arrives on the 24th of September, and Best Buy Geek Squad will install the ram. I am going to order my new laptop RSN, in a few extra pay days.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Ok, my new laptop arrives Tuesday the 21st, the Spouse Unit's arrives on the 24th and gets the RAM upgrade that day at Best Buy. I am almost done with Christmas shopping! YAY!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

'Dad you know Mom is going to kill you, right?"

Me: Why?

Daughter(s): You got her a laptop, you heard her yesterday ranting about how much she hates devices and technology.

Me: Yeah, so what is your point?

Daughters: Dad! She does not need that new laptop! She has her old one.

Me: Yes, but like me it is OLD, and this is her retirement laptop. All I plan on doing is replacing the battery down the road. Plus this has a bigger drive so she can store more cr@p on it.

Daughters: Ok, but don't say we did not tell you.... Just get her an external drive like ours.

Me: Why? She never uses the one I gave her.

Daughters: Ok, its your funeral.

Me: Who, me worry?
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I AM LIVID! I made special arrangements with Best Buy for the laptop and RAM to be waiting on me on friday at 10 am so that when I arrived I could just walk over to Geek Squad and have them install the RAM. I get there (slowly and very painfully) and am told that the laptop has NOT arrived! They have no idea when it will get there. I specifically set things up so it would be waiting on me when I arrived so I could just get it done! I AM PISSED OFF! I pulled a minor Karen with the manager, who did not GAS that they promised to have it here waiting on me. GRRRRRRRR!!!!!

As much stuff as I buy from them, I would expect a little better service. *Annoyed Maximus*.

Return to “Open Chat”