Christmas shopping start

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Christmas shopping start

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

MurphCID wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:06 pm I AM LIVID! I made special arrangements with Best Buy for the laptop and RAM to be waiting on me on friday at 10 am so that when I arrived I could just walk over to Geek Squad and have them install the RAM. I get there (slowly and very painfully) and am told that the laptop has NOT arrived! They have no idea when it will get there. I specifically set things up so it would be waiting on me when I arrived so I could just get it done! I AM PISSED OFF! I pulled a minor Karen with the manager, who did not GAS that they promised to have it here waiting on me. GRRRRRRRR!!!!!

As much stuff as I buy from them, I would expect a little better service. *Annoyed Maximus*.
Store delivery is the only way I can order from Best Buy because they consider my shipping address--a UPS store mailbox--to be a known reshipper. Who died and made the NSA police? :roll: Trying to get answers from their customer service/tech help is like pulling teeth with tweezers.

Their Geek Squad is overpriced and not all that great.

The only way I will buy anything from Best Buy is if they have what I want/need in stock locally.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:00 pm
MurphCID wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:06 pm I AM LIVID! I made special arrangements with Best Buy for the laptop and RAM to be waiting on me on friday at 10 am so that when I arrived I could just walk over to Geek Squad and have them install the RAM. I get there (slowly and very painfully) and am told that the laptop has NOT arrived! They have no idea when it will get there. I specifically set things up so it would be waiting on me when I arrived so I could just get it done! I AM PISSED OFF! I pulled a minor Karen with the manager, who did not GAS that they promised to have it here waiting on me. GRRRRRRRR!!!!!

As much stuff as I buy from them, I would expect a little better service. *Annoyed Maximus*.
Store delivery is the only way I can order from Best Buy because they consider my shipping address--a UPS store mailbox--to be a known reshipper. Who died and made the NSA police? :roll: Trying to get answers from their customer service/tech help is like pulling teeth with tweezers.

The only way I will buy anything from Best Buy is if they have what I want/need in stock locally.
It was supposed to be store delivery! I must have ranted properly, I just got a notice it is here.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:02 pm

It was supposed to be store delivery! I must have ranted properly, I just got a notice it is here.
You were perfectly clear that yours was a store delivery.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:05 pm

Sorry, I am both mad and in a great deal of pain right now, the Aleve has not kicked in, and I am refusing to take the prescription pain meds he gave me yesterday since they are a narcotic. I apologize for being snappy. The oldest is going over to get it, and since I had to reschedule the Geek Squad, I will get her to pick it up today.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:12 pm
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:05 pm

Sorry, I am both mad and in a great deal of pain right now, the Aleve has not kicked in, and I am refusing to take the prescription pain meds he gave me yesterday since they are a narcotic. I apologize for being snappy. The oldest is going over to get it, and since I had to reschedule the Geek Squad, I will get her to pick it up today.
No worries. I took no offense or detected any snappiness. I actually felt bad for not being clear with my response. I hope that knee gets better soon after the surgery. I know from personal experience how much "fun" that can be.
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Got it and Sweet Maker, I had removed from my brain just how painful a Windows install can be! OMFG this is slow, and then I have to go in and turn off all sorts of telemetry and privacy issues. Can they make it any worse? Yes, yes they can I suspect. At least I can still use a local account.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

I had removed from my brain just how painful a Windows install can be!
SEE...Windows install is very good for you, It's so painful it made you forget all about your knee pain...lol...Windows is good for something then...lol...DAMIEN

(Hope the operation on the knee helps)
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:38 pm
I had removed from my brain just how painful a Windows install can be!
SEE...Windows install is very good for you, It's so painful it made you forget all about your knee pain...lol...Windows is good for something then...lol...DAMIEN

(Hope the operation on the knee helps)
Gee, thanks, I think.... I compare the installation of Mint today, with the agony of a Windows install, and the refusal to delete things that I want deleted. The endless going through and turning off things for privacy, the deleting useless adware apps, OMFG! This is horrid. I even went into Registry to pull crap out by the roots.
famouslastwords

Post by famouslastwords »

MurphCID wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:47 pm Got it and Sweet Maker, I had removed from my brain just how painful a Windows install can be! OMFG this is slow, and then I have to go in and turn off all sorts of telemetry and privacy issues. Can they make it any worse? Yes, yes they can I suspect. At least I can still use a local account.
Yes sir, they've been doing this a long time. Guessing they'll call it ... I dunno, Windows 11. :D Microsoft almost surely has plenty of excruciating stuff they haven't unveiled yet.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

the agony of a Windows install, and the refusal to delete things that I want deleted. The endless going through and turning off things for privacy, the deleting useless adware apps, OMFG! This is horrid. I even went into Registry to pull crap out by the roots.
Microsoft almost surely has plenty of excruciating stuff they haven't unveiled yet.
I have a theory about what Microsoft is up to.

There is a dormant "Windows as a Service" entry in the registry.

What if Microsoft makes thing so excruciating with installation, troubleshooting, etc, that they finally just activate WaaS through the OS into the cloud through Azure and just finally telling everyone to pay a monthly or yearly fee for the "privilege" of using Windows without the bother of actually having to install or reinstall or system restore it???...Now there's a devasting thought to think about...lol...DAMIEN
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:56 pm
the agony of a Windows install, and the refusal to delete things that I want deleted. The endless going through and turning off things for privacy, the deleting useless adware apps, OMFG! This is horrid. I even went into Registry to pull crap out by the roots.
Microsoft almost surely has plenty of excruciating stuff they haven't unveiled yet.
I have a theory about what Microsoft is up to.

What if Microsoft makes thing so excruciating with installation, troubleshooting, etc, that they finally just activate WaaS through the OS into the cloud through Azure and just finally telling everyone to pay a monthly or yearly fee for the "privilege" of using Windows without the bother of actually having to install or reinstall or system restore it???...Now there's a devasting thought to think about...lol...DAMIEN
I'll be surprised if that doesn't happen. Sadist Nutella (sic) was head of Microsnot cloud development before replacing Steve Ballsmore (sic). MS has been steadily wresting more and more control from users since before the end of Win7.
Jeannie

famouslastwords

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:56 pm I have a theory about what Microsoft is up to.

Interesting and scary idea. Don't know what all MS is up to, do know expecting them not to be craptastic is like expecting leopard + change spots. :D Was just in the middle of typing out an epic anti mega-tech Corp rant post a few hrs ago anddddd the power went out in the room. Then it blinked right back on. Took the old laptop down along with said post. Am going to take this as a sign that I wasn't meant to post it. Guess there's enough negativity in the world already. :)

Person I feel bad for is MurphCID, between knee pain, Bestbuy and a Win10 install, OMG ! Now that's a fricken rough day !!!
peterw19
Level 4
Level 4

Post by peterw19 »

It was Windows update policy which finally drove me to try Linux (an excellent move). It's almost impossible to inhibit the automated download/update process, and the update they insisted on sending me prevented my machine from booting - on 4 occasions! Restore from backup, rinse and repeat........ Plus it seemed to get slower every week.

A propos turning off the spyware - can we be totally sure that turning it off actually does what we think it does? Personally I trust them about as far as I could throw the Statue of Liberty.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

famouslastwords wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:42 pm
DAMIEN1307 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:56 pm I have a theory about what Microsoft is up to.

Interesting and scary idea. Don't know what all MS is up to, do know expecting them not to be craptastic is like expecting leopard + change spots. :D Was just in the middle of typing out an epic anti mega-tech Corp rant post a few hrs ago anddddd the power went out in the room. Then it blinked right back on. Took the old laptop down along with said post. Am going to take this as a sign that I wasn't meant to post it. Guess there's enough negativity in the world already. :)

Person I feel bad for is MurphCID, between knee pain, Bestbuy and a Win10 install, OMG ! Now that's a fricken rough day !!!
Yesterday did suck. After my daughter got the laptop, I had to hurry and hide it before the Spouse-Unit came home since it is a Christmas gift. Today, my daughter and wife will be out all day at her brother's house taking care of him, so I have to somehow saddle up and get it to Geek Squad to install the RAM. But that is neither here nor there.

I completely agree with you all on the Microsoft issues. I was forced to use a Microsoft account to install Office. I still have Windows in local account mode, but for how long? I used my favorite Windows site NINITE to install her apps like iTunes, Zoom, etc. Ninite makes it painless. I learned about this place from the old Tek Syndicate YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KFc6l8jrVs I have used it on all my PC (Windows) builds and it is great. Saves so much time. Microsoft does somethings well, but at a price.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Well change of plans, thank goodness my oldest had homework to finish. She is going to take the laptop to Best Buy. I CANNOT for all the work I have done get rid of the pesky LastPass entry. I have gone into registry looking for it with no joy. I have pulled McAfee out by the roots that way. OMG it is almost like a virus, same with Norton. All the pre-installed crap on that laptop is horrible. It took me almost as long to pull this garbage out as it did to update the blasted thing. Now I am installing her stuff after it gets back from Best Buy, I am not sending it with any documents on it. Just music. I also had to remove Alexa, and lots of stupid MS game garbage. Why do they pack this stuff in, all I want is a (relatively) clean O/S.

My youngest is sending me a list from LL Bean of the clothing she wants. She started dropping hints about an iPhone 13, and I reminded her that her current phone was the LAST phone I would ever purchase for her, per our agreement. Then I reminded her that her laptop (which is now working on the school ethernet) is also the LAST computer I would ever purchase for her.
famouslastwords

Pretty much stopped booting anything Windows, after a short while of getting serious about gnu/Linux except for maintenance. One time got it in my head to do a refresher course on Windows, think it was 8.1-2. Went through what you're talking about, going through trying to find and defuse all the privacy/spy things and of course being an anal person doubled back to recheck at some point AND ... some were reenabled !!!

That's about the time finally decided no more of this. Think when dealing with people like Microsoft, terms make it clear, it's not your operating system, it's theirs ... endusers are just allowed to borrow it for awhile and terms and conditions are subject to change with or w/o advanced notice.

@MurphCID ... today's a new dy (you made it through), this one is bound to be better. :)
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

famouslastwords wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:34 pm Pretty much stopped booting anything Windows, after a short while of getting serious about gnu/Linux except for maintenance. One time got it in my head to do a refresher course on Windows, think it was 8.1-2. Went through what you're talking about, going through trying to find and defuse all the privacy/spy things and of course being an anal person doubled back to recheck at some point AND ... some were reenabled !!!

That's about the time finally decided no more of this. Think when dealing with people like Microsoft, terms make it clear, it's not your operating system, it's theirs ... endusers are just allowed to borrow it for awhile and terms and conditions are subject to change with or w/o advanced notice.

@MurphCID ... today's a new dy (you made it through), this one is bound to be better. :)
True, thanks. Got the ram installed, and it is seen by the system. So all is good.
famouslastwords

MurphCID wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:47 am Daughters: Ok, its your funeral.

Me: Who, me worry?
You might not be out of the woods yet. :P
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

famouslastwords wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:10 am
MurphCID wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:47 am Daughters: Ok, its your funeral.

Me: Who, me worry?
You might not be out of the woods yet. :P
Good point. Very good point. I also finished uploading all of her photos, documents, etc to the new laptop. So it is completely ready for her for Christmas.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Oh yes, you can Linux on the Spouse Unit's new computer!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7I_oD8U30s That makes me happy. It also comes with a braided power cable! No pen though.

Return to “Open Chat”