Test report on new Darter Pro and Mint

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Test report on new Darter Pro and Mint

Post by MurphCID »

I hope you all do not mind, but...I love this laptop. It punches every "need" button I have (I don't game on laptops).
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Wow! Got the update to 5.14.0-1008-OEM in the update manager! Installed with NO ISSUES, runs fine. The Darter Pro really likes this kernel compared with Coreboot. Memory usage with Cinnamon just running HTOP and one terminal is 820-825 mb out of 16 gb of installed RAM. Battery shows 17 hours left at 89%. Chrome blows my RAM usage up to 2.2-2.5 gb of RAM.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Thanks to the Mint Devs and Forum members. I have found no matter what other distro I try, I always come back to Mint. It has been a good ride, and I have found an excellent, helpful community which has made it even better. So thanks. Mint was put back on the old Darter Pro, since nothing else really does the job the right way as far as I am concerned. I have three System 76 systems, the first one is meh, just meh. The two newer ones are amazing. I, for one, am glad to have done a little part in supporting pre-installed Linux hardware and Mint as well.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

If I had an issue, it is the laptop is a bit heavy, not bad, but a bit. Also the second USB-C port will not recognize my USB-C external drive for whatever reason, I have to plug it in on the thunderbolt port. Plus my watch band is scratching the left corner of the laptop as a I type. I have installed my favorite theme, it looks the way I want it to look, and with the 5.14 kernel it is really stable. No issues with the Xe graphics. It must be popular, it is constantly sold out on the System 76 site. I am glad I purchased it when I did.

inxi -b output:

murph@murph-Darter-Pro:~$ inxi -b
System:
Host: murph-Darter-Pro Kernel: 5.14.0-1010-oem x86_64 bits: 64
Desktop: Cinnamon 5.0.7 Distro: Linux Mint 20.2 Uma
Machine:
Type: Laptop System: System76 product: Darter Pro v: darp7
serial: <superuser/root required>
Mobo: System76 model: Darter Pro v: darp7
serial: <superuser/root required> UEFI: coreboot v: 2021-07-20_93c2809
date: 07/20/2021
Battery:
ID-1: BAT0 charge: 26.5 Wh condition: 72.3/73.9 Wh (98%)
CPU:
Quad Core: 11th Gen Intel Core i5-1135G7 type: MT MCP speed: 1575 MHz
min/max: 400/4200 MHz
Graphics:
Device-1: Intel driver: i915 v: kernel
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.13 driver: modesetting
unloaded: fbdev,vesa resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: Mesa Intel Xe Graphics (TGL GT2) v: 4.6 Mesa 21.0.3
Network:
Device-1: Intel driver: iwlwifi
Device-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet
driver: r8169
Drives:
Local Storage: total: 465.76 GiB used: 37.49 GiB (8.1%)
Info:
Processes: 249 Uptime: N/A Memory: 15.48 GiB used: 714.5 MiB (4.5%)
Shell: bash inxi: 3.0.38
murph@murph-Darter-Pro:~$
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Update, apparently the USB-C port which will not recognize my Samsung T-7 works fine with a regular USB-C device which is NON-Thunderbolt. Apparently port #2 of the USB-C ports will only work with regular USB-C. Well now I feel foolish. I made the assumption that Thunderbolt devices would "throttle down" to be usable on regular USB-C ports, and I was wrong. This is good information to know. I tested this by putting a USB-C adapter onto a regular 3.0 flash drive and sticking it in the port. Much to my utter shock it worked just as it was designed, perfectly. I will start testing with other hard drives (non-Thunderbolt) with the USB-C adapter on them. Shows that you need to test and test some more if things do not work as they are expected to work when you first get the laptop.

I do not have this issue with the Lemur Pro since it only has one USB-C port which is Thunderbolt, which is why I probably never thought to test it out. I just assumed that a USB-C device would work on either port (this is what I get for assuming). The other day at the coffeeshop, the Lemur Pro had an odd issue, when I tried to shut down Bluetooth, it was very laggy, and the menu to shut down bluetooth was almost non responsive. The problem seems to have gone away. But the logitech mouse is a bit laggy now for some reason (uses an external bluetooth adapter which does not need bluetooth turned on to work).
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I am waiting to see how Mint 20.3 runs on the Darter Pro #2 and the Lemur Pro. Once more I am struck as to how good the keyboards are on the Darter Pro compared to many other laptops. They have a really good tactile feel, and I seem to make fewer typing mistakes on these keyboards. I must state that my opinion of System 76 has recovered with these two laptops. Even the old Darter Pro #1 feels newer and better with the addition of the 5.15 Kernel under POP OS Cinnamon. BTW Gnome sucks! Have I said that before? If not, Gnome Sucks!
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

the best Keyboard I have ever used in my 78 years, was on the military ASR-28 Teletype machine.
It was a "Hall Effect" type keyboard, whereby the keys did NOT have to actually strike bottom of the keystroke, if it made it 75% down, it was recorded.

2nd best, was back in the days of the Compact Brand PCs with the external keyboard, which were mechanical and "Hall Effect". still have one in the shop, but as I have transitioned to laptops over a decade ago, it is never used anymore.

My favorite keyboard was on this TTY, no screen to see what you typed, the output was on Paper Tape with holes punched in it. ( in military boot camp Cyber School, they disabled the printer )
in my youthful age of 21 while there, I was typing at 120 wpm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwIhZwmHe2w
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

AZgl1500 wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:04 am ...in my youthful age of 21 while there, I was typing at 120 wpm...
I measure my typing speed in mistakes per minute. :roll:
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:11 am
AZgl1500 wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:04 am ...in my youthful age of 21 while there, I was typing at 120 wpm...
I do to usually, but a good keyboard helps me touch type. I used to be a lot faster, but since I do not type as much these days, I have slowed down.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:51 am
I do to usually, but a good keyboard helps me touch type. I used to be a lot faster, but since I do not type as much these days, I have slowed down.
I took typing back in high school (I had to beg my parents to let me take it) and I never was able to get above a rip roaring 19WPM, no matter how hard I tried. The, the college I went to didn't require work to be typed and my parents didn't want to spring for a typewriter, so I forgot what little I had learned. It wasn't until I was in my early 50s before I learned I had ADHD and that was the reason I couldn't learn how to touch type, no matter how hard I tried.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

MurphCID wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:51 am
I have found, that if I don't keep my fingernails trimmed to the quick, that I make a lot of errors...
when I notice my error rate climbing, grab the clippers and trim them back .
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I think I got up to 40 wpm at my best, but I am not a great typist, my Spouse Unit on the other hand is a 100-120 wpm typist.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Since I cannot find the old thread, I will put this here. The Lemur Pro is now updated to 20.3 and feels more responsive for some reason. This laptop is my go to for outside of the house due to the weight, long battery life, decent keyboard (the Darter keyboard is nicer though), everything about this laptop including the screen is top notch. Did I mention battery life with TLP enabled?
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

This is going to sound odd, but I have reached peak tech saturation. I have no desire to get any new technology at all. No new laptops, no new desktops, no new anything. I thought (briefly) about getting a small HP laptop to try out one of the Linux distros that the System 76 machines will not work with such as MX Linux or Mageia Linux which do not work on the Coreboot machines. My response was "meh", I don't need any more tech. On the same point, I thought about getting a new SIG P226, and went "meh" I don't need any more guns, I have enough.

What does this have with System 76 Darter Pro? Nothing really, other than the Darter Pro (new one), and the Lemur Pro cover all my laptop needs, they have everything I ever needed in a laptop. Both have insane battery life, great keyboards, lovely screens, and plenty of ports. I have gotten the Spouse-Unit and kids all the tech I will ever buy them, I have updated the Spouse Units old laptop to act as the family emergency laptop, so I am tech satiated. I watch You Tube and go "wow that is neat" and then go "Nope there is no way I NEED that...".

I have too many devices (that sounds odd), after all those years of scraping by with hand me down computers, saving for two years to build a good desktop, getting older devices from my tech buddy (I am now giving him tech...), I realized I am fine, I don't NEED anything else. Granted much of my stuff is somewhat older, but not THAT old. My desktop which I built back in 2016/2017 runs fine, does everything I want and need it to do. It is a Ryzen 1700 system with a 2070 video card. I tend to look for sales and end of year model laptops that I can get at a BIG discount, the System 76 systems were my big splurge in terms of money and equipment. When the Spouse Unit and girls got me the Lemur Pro it was amazing, just what I needed at a bad time in life.

So thanks for reading this stream of thought rant.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

MurphCID wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:28 am This is going to sound odd, but I have reached peak tech saturation. I have no desire to get any new technology at all. No new laptops, no new desktops, no new anything. I thought (briefly) about getting a small HP laptop to try out one of the Linux distros that the System 76 machines will not work with such as MX Linux or Mageia Linux which do not work on the Coreboot machines. My response was "meh", I don't need any more tech. On the same point, I thought about getting a new SIG P226, and went "meh" I don't need any more guns, I have enough.
My son talked me into buying P365, even though I already have a Ruger LC9s which fits my hand.

the P365 is still in the box it came in, a year ago... meh....

I am laptop poor, I just gave away two to friends down on their luck, installed Mint Cinnamon and let them go... work fine... they think it is "Windows" :mrgreen:
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

AZgl1800 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:42 pm
MurphCID wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:28 am This is going to sound odd, but I have reached peak tech saturation. I have no desire to get any new technology at all. No new laptops, no new desktops, no new anything. I thought (briefly) about getting a small HP laptop to try out one of the Linux distros that the System 76 machines will not work with such as MX Linux or Mageia Linux which do not work on the Coreboot machines. My response was "meh", I don't need any more tech. On the same point, I thought about getting a new SIG P226, and went "meh" I don't need any more guns, I have enough.
My son talked me into buying P365, even though I already have a Ruger LC9s which fits my hand.

the P365 is still in the box it came in, a year ago... meh....

I am laptop poor, I just gave away two to friends down on their luck, installed Mint Cinnamon and let them go... work fine... they think it is "Windows" :mrgreen:
Understood. Since I am home sick, I have been really working with the Lemur Pro since it is small and light. I would rather use it than the old Darter Pro with POP OS which is next to my easy chair. I have been linux'ing for the last couple of days. The little dachsund is mad at me since I have the lap desk and laptop on her little hassock which is next to my chair. But I did that on purpose, since she had horrible gas yesterday, and was about to run me out of the room. So I took her spot and she sits looking at me with a great deal of reproach that I am blocking her spot. She moved to the sofa across the room, which I am so happy about.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:02 am ...Understood. Since I am home sick, I have been really working with the Lemur Pro since it is small and light. I would rather use it than the old Darter Pro with POP OS which is next to my easy chair. I have been linux'ing for the last couple of days. The little dachsund is mad at me since I have the lap desk and laptop on her little hassock which is next to my chair. But I did that on purpose, since she had horrible gas yesterday, and was about to run me out of the room. So I took her spot and she sits looking at me with a great deal of reproach that I am blocking her spot. She moved to the sofa across the room, which I am so happy about.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:20 pm
MurphCID wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:02 am ...Understood. Since I am home sick, I have been really working with the Lemur Pro since it is small and light. I would rather use it than the old Darter Pro with POP OS which is next to my easy chair. I have been linux'ing for the last couple of days. The little dachsund is mad at me since I have the lap desk and laptop on her little hassock which is next to my chair. But I did that on purpose, since she had horrible gas yesterday, and was about to run me out of the room. So I took her spot and she sits looking at me with a great deal of reproach that I am blocking her spot. She moved to the sofa across the room, which I am so happy about.
Me to the oldest daughter: "Did you feed Daisy anything different?"
Daughter: "No. I just let her eat that last slice of pizza, and some pasta and sauce."
Me: OH NO! The pasta sauce had LOTS of garlic in it, you KNOW what that does to the dog.....
Daughter" "giggle"
Me: She is sleeping with you tonight!
Daughter: Please dad, anything but that.
Me: No more people food for her!
Daughter: Well Mom does it!
Me: That is your mother she is allowed to do what she wants, when she wants!
Daughter: "WHATEVER!!" Flounces off.

OMG I need a cork for the dog....
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:12 pm
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:20 pm
Me to the oldest daughter: "Did you feed Daisy anything different?"
Daughter: "No. I just let her eat that last slice of pizza, and some pasta and sauce."
Me: OH NO! The pasta sauce had LOTS of garlic in it, you KNOW what that does to the dog.....
Daughter" "giggle"
Me: She is sleeping with you tonight!
Daughter: Please dad, anything but that.
Me: No more people food for her!
Daughter: Well Mom does it!
Me: That is your mother she is allowed to do what she wants, when she wants!
Daughter: "WHATEVER!!" Flounces off.

OMG I need a cork for the dog....
I remember once my now late ex (from TX) had the runs and sent me out to get something for it. I came back with some of the pink stuff but, before taking it to her in the loo, I grabbed a cork from the kitchen. When I went to her in the loo, she asked me if I had gotten her something. While holding the pink stuff bottle behind my back, I showed her the cork (from a safe distance; I may be crazy but I'm not stupid). If dirty looks could kill, I would have dropped dead on the spot.

"Flounces off" seems to be a standard response for young women and female teens. My daughter would do the same thing.
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Aaaaarrrrrgggggghhhhhh!!!!
This morning:

Spouse Unit: What is for breakfast?

Me: What do you want?

Spouse Unit: What are my choices?

Me: Eggs and bacon, eggs and potatoes, bacon and bean tacos, Eggs, bacon, beans, and tortillas?

Spouse Unit: I have that all the time, do you have any other choices?

Me: NO!!!!

Spouse Unit: No reason to get upset...

Me: Just tell me what you want!

Spouse Unit: Well give me some choices..."

Me: FINE, I AM COOKING YOU SPAM AND EGGS!

Spouse Unit: I don't want that, I hate Spam!

Me: THEN WHAT THE &!@! DO YOU WANT!!!!

Spouse Unit: Why are you getting mad? Just give me the usual (Bacon, eggs, refried beans, tortillas).

Me: WHY DOES THIS HAVE TO BE SO HARD?!

Return to “Open Chat”