Test report on new Darter Pro and Mint

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Test report on new Darter Pro and Mint

Post by MurphCID »

Ok, the new system is here. It is a Clevo based system, but I went ahead and purchased the new Darter Pro from System 76. So far it is everything that the old system was not. The keyboard is as good if not a little better than the old one. It is a nice flat black color. Specs are here:
Operating System: LINUX MINT 20.2 Kernel 5.11

Firmware
System76 Open Firmware (coreboot, EDK2, System76 Firmware Apps)

System76 Open Source Embedded Controller Firmware

Processor
11th Gen Intel® Core i5-1135G7: Up to 4.2 GHz - 8MB Cache - 4 Cores - 8 Threads

Display
15.6″ 1920×1080 FHD, Matte Finish

Graphics
Intel® Iris Xe Graphics

Memory
16 gb of dual-channel DDR4 @ 3200MHz

Storage
500 gb Samsung 970 SSD.

Expansion
1 × USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-C / Thunderbolt™ 4, 1 × USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-C, 1 × USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-A, 1 × USB 2.0 Type-A, MicroSD Card Reader

Networking
Gigabit Ethernet, Intel® Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 5

Video Ports
HDMI, USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-C w/ DisplayPort 1.4

Audio
Stereo Speakers, 1× Headphone/Microphone Combo

Battery 73 watt/hr

Ok, so compared to the prior Darter Pro, this one took Mint 20.2 like it was made for it. Screen is just lovely and bright. I had to turn down the brightness to 50% because it was too bright. The trackpad is really nice, and smooth. I need another external Mouse, I had to steal the one from the Lemur Pro. Firmware is completely up to date, I checked under Pop OS before I loaded Mint. Mint looks amazing on this system. Found the WiFi right away, Keyboard lights work (Amazing). In all aspects it is so far the polar opposite of the earlier Darter Pro which only lasted a short time before it was replaced. Take down is simple, unscrew the back, pull it off, and boom! you have access to the innards. No more removing the keyboard to get to the guts. Even with the larger screen right now at 88% battery, it shows almost 10 hours of power left. The old Darter would have 2-3 hours. Weight is about the same as the earlier. The black body looks better though. The stickers I added must have increased the battery life and power somehow....

It found my HP printer without me having do to anything at all. It really likes the 5.11 kernel, I might try and put the 5.14 kernel on it at some point. It is still loads heavier than the Lemur Pro, but not massively so. Both machines look lovely. Well this is my retirement laptop gift to me. So it will have to last a long, long time. I have installed all my favorite programs, and have TLP configured, so we shall see. I have it connected to my home ethernet and the download speeds are nice. Mint is purring along like a champ.

Also if I want to I can add a second NVME drive to the machine. As well as increase the RAM. All in all a better experience than the earlier Darter Pro in every way.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
famouslastwords

Re: Test report on new Darter Pro and Mint

Post by famouslastwords »

Looks over MurphCID's new system spec's ... *drools.* Nice, glad you're much more satisfied this time around. :)
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

famouslastwords wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:03 pm Looks over MurphCID's new system spec's ... *drools.* Nice, glad you're much more satisfied this time around. :)
Thank you sir. This is REALLY my retirement system, and it is so much more satisfying than the earlier one so far..... Let us hope it stays that way.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Where did it ship from? CA or CO?
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:15 pm Where did it ship from? CA or CO?
California. I don't know why.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:24 pm
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:15 pm Where did it ship from? CA or CO?
Apparently, System76 gets their Clevo models directly from Clevo or a contractor, possibly one of Clevos. Mine also came from CA. System76 is based in CO but, when my laptop had to be returned for repair, it went to an alleged System76 address in CA which, according to Google Maps, was a strip industrial park which had two computer related businesses, neither of which were Clevo or System76. There is lousy communication between their design and software team and their "Hardware Team".

I asked because System76 is supposed to be moving all their design and construction to CO. They make all Thelio desktops in house in CA now but apparently haven't done so with their laptops yet.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:51 pm
MurphCID wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:24 pm
Apparently, System76 gets their Clevo models directly from Clevo or a contractor, possibly one of Clevos. Mine also came from CA. System76 is based in CO but, when my laptop had to be returned for repair, it went to an alleged System76 address in CA which, according to Google Maps, was a strip industrial park which had two computer related businesses, neither of which were Clevo or System76. There is lousy communication between their design and software team and their "Hardware Team".

I asked because System76 is supposed to be moving all their design and construction to CO. They make all Thelio desktops in house in CA now but apparently haven't done so with their laptops yet.
That explains it. I just got it today, but so far the installation of Mint, and test drive have been positive. No more Coreboot BS like with the previous one.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I am beginning to think that System 76 knew that the earlier Darter Pro was a dog, and very quietly decided to replace it as soon as they could. It was only listed for a relatively short period before it was replaced. My experience with it almost turned me off of System 76 forever, but the amazingly good Lemur Pro made me give them another shot.

Another note, this thing is somewhat of a fingerprint magnet. I can see why they included a microfiber cloth. I have only found two reviews of this system on the internets: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxNalLoFclU and here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bExHfIQGisM Neither is really super informative. I plan on giving this thing a road test at Black Rifle Coffee on thursday after my appointment at the Orthopedic Surgeon to tell me what the MRI said about my knee (which is becoming more and more painful each day). So far it is working as I would hope, just like the Lemur Pro. The keyboard is just really nice, really nice.

I love the fact it has an Ethernet port, which for some odd reason is comforting to me.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:13 am ...I love the fact it has an Ethernet port, which for some odd reason is comforting to me.
I'm still amazed, in this day and age, anyone would make a computer without an Ethernet port, even if it is a portable one.
Jeannie

famouslastwords

MurphCID wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:13 am
Another note, this thing is somewhat of a fingerprint magnet. I can see why they included a microfiber cloth.
Feel your pain there, why do they make surfaces on systems this way ? On devices they know you're going to be touching ALL THE TIME !!? Looks great when you take it out of the box, after awhile the blemishes can drive someone insane. :P Ought to sue somebody for all the time I've spent wiping down a high gloss surface on a laptop. Yep ... like you're describing, just end up keeping a cloth next to the pc's now.

QUIT DOING THIS OEM's, PLEASE, just stop ! Though other than that naggling issue, sounds like the new Darter is exactly what you were hoping for. Good deal. :)
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

famouslastwords wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:26 pm
MurphCID wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:13 am
Another note, this thing is somewhat of a fingerprint magnet. I can see why they included a microfiber cloth.
Feel your pain there, why do they make surfaces on systems this way ? On devices they know you're going to be touching ALL THE TIME !!? Looks great when you take it out of the box, after awhile the blemishes can drive someone insane. :P Ought to sue somebody for all the time I've spent wiping down a high gloss surface on a laptop. Yep ... like you're describing, just end up keeping a cloth next to the pc's now.

QUIT DOING THIS OEM's, PLEASE, just stop ! Though other than that naggling issue, sounds like the new Darter is exactly what you were hoping for. Good deal. :)
I so totally agree! Now, if they could make screens, etc. that will repel dust (I have to dust off my laptop at least once every cottonpickin' day; I bought a battery powered blower so I wouldn't go bankrupt buying canned "air" :roll: ).
Jeannie

famouslastwords

^ That's a dang good idea. :) Have mercy on someone's soul if they sneeze on one of these devices and don't turn their head in time. :P
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

MurphCID wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:59 pm Ok, the new system is here.

<---snip--->

Ok, so compared to the prior Darter Pro, this one took Mint 20.2 like it was made for it. Screen is just lovely and bright. I had to turn down the brightness to 50% because it was too bright. The trackpad is really nice, and smooth. I need another external Mouse, I had to steal the one from the Lemur Pro. Firmware is completely up to date, I checked under Pop OS before I loaded Mint. Mint looks amazing on this system. Found the WiFi right away, Keyboard lights work (Amazing).
No version of LM that I've ever used on my 2011 MacBook Pro had issues with either the backlit keyboard or trackpad. In principle, the same could be said for the on-board WiFi, if one allows for the fact that LM doesn't OOB bundle the appropriate firmware and/or drivers. That process, of course, has radically improved, and that means there's no longer a manual process to acquire them; it's just a matter of going into Settings > Drivers and enabling the Realtek firmware.

Anyhow, if I had this year to do over again, I would have bought the model you did instead of buying the M1 MacBook Air.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

famouslastwords wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:41 pm ^ That's a dang good idea. :) Have mercy on someone's soul if they sneeze on one of these devices and don't turn their head in time. :P
Oh my goodness that is a horrible thought 😁
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Ok, here at Black Rifle Coffee in a decent amount of pain. Logged into the BRCC wifi with no issues, this laptop is certainly heavier than the Lemur Pro, and so most likely will not be the throw it in a bag and go laptop. A Screen brightness is nice in the coffee shop, I do not have to turn it up at all. Disabled the bluetooth as always (I have to do it each time I boot). Lordy this thing attracts fingerprints!!!! I am pretty impressed so far. Love the keyboard, nice key travel, and good tactile feel. I will not be doing Indian food today, I hurt too bad, so after I am done here, I am going home.

Edit: Brightness at 26%!!! And I have no issues with the screen. This is amazing. Firewall on, Mint configured the way I want, life is good for the most part. Surfing the best, most helpful forum on the net, priceless...
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Let me address briefly ports On the darter pro. Instead of having a mini display port connection the new one has an extra USB C connection. To me I find USB-C much more useful than a mini display port. The fact that it has two of them it is important to me. It has an HDMI port as well as two USB-A ports. As well as the Ever magnificent ethernet port. This allows me plenty of connectivity. So far it is a little heavy but the build quality is excellent. I’m going to have to remove some of the stickers because I see that I have put them on slightly crooked, bummer. So that means I will have to order some extra stickers. 😁😭. The screen is good no dead pixels that I can see so far Wi-Fi is relatively fast and the ethernet is of course very fast. The fact that it took Mint 20.2 right off the bat and the 5.11 Kernel which prevents the issues with the first is important to me. I just wonder how well it will be with 5.14? That will be for a future experiment.
Last edited by MurphCID on Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Portreve wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:16 pm
MurphCID wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:59 pm Ok, the new system is here.

<---snip--->

Ok, so compared to the prior Darter Pro, this one took Mint 20.2 like it was made for it. Screen is just lovely and bright. I had to turn down the brightness to 50% because it was too bright. The trackpad is really nice, and smooth. I need another external Mouse, I had to steal the one from the Lemur Pro. Firmware is completely up to date, I checked under Pop OS before I loaded Mint. Mint looks amazing on this system. Found the WiFi right away, Keyboard lights work (Amazing).
No version of LM that I've ever used on my 2011 MacBook Pro had issues with either the backlit keyboard or trackpad. In principle, the same could be said for the on-board WiFi, if one allows for the fact that LM doesn't OOB bundle the appropriate firmware and/or drivers. That process, of course, has radically improved, and that means there's no longer a manual process to acquire them; it's just a matter of going into Settings > Drivers and enabling the Realtek firmware.

Anyhow, if I had this year to do over again, I would have bought the model you did instead of buying the M1 MacBook Air.
The gloom and doom predictions that things will only get more expensive supply chains will become less filled and things like that convince me to go ahead and suck up the hit to my bank account and order it. Did I need it, no. Did I want it yes absolutely.
famouslastwords

MurphCID wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:39 pm I just wonder how well it will be with 5.14? That will be for a future experiment.
All you've noted so far says future looks bright with it. Could always set up a small testing partition and do a test install there(install 5.14 to it.) Not all that tough to clone an existing install and/or shuffle them around to different partitions either. Easy to tear whichever down and reclaim the diskspace later. Revert it back from multiboot.

Can test it out on your daily driver LM install provided you follow the same old sensible caveats, make/keep a working backup. Ah you'll get around to it, just glad for ya that this new system is working out really smoothly and that thing is a rocketship in terms of specs. :D
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

famouslastwords wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:34 pm
MurphCID wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:39 pm I just wonder how well it will be with 5.14? That will be for a future experiment.
All you've noted so far says future looks bright with it. Could always set up a small testing partition and do a test install there(install 5.14 to it.) Not all that tough to clone an existing install and/or shuffle them around to different partitions either. Easy to tear whichever down and reclaim the diskspace later. Revert it back from multiboot.

Can test it out on your daily driver LM install provided you follow the same old sensible caveats, make/keep a working backup. Ah you'll get around to it, just glad for ya that this new system is working out really smoothly and that thing is a rocketship in terms of specs. :D
Thank you. I have noticed it has the same slow shut down issues on 5.11 as the Lemur Pro. Based on testing, I think that it is not a Coreboot issue, but rather an issue with the 5.11 Kernel.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Well I followed the directions here: https://itsfoss.com/upgrade-linux-kernel-ubuntu/ It shows the 5.14 Kernel installed, boots (slowly) and the installer tells me that there is a broken kernel package. It tells me to use the "Broken" command to find what is wrong. I have not the knowledge or experience, and so have FUBAR'ed my system somewhat. It works, and shows the 5.14 there, but I am going to re-install MInt and try again. Not sure what went wrong. But this is how you learn.

Been trying other options, but this is not working, so I am going to reload and go back to the 5.11 kernel. What I don't understand is I followed the directions EXACTLY, and it keeps telling me I have broken packages. But it does not tell me what is broken. confused is going on? I mean Manjaro is humming along on the 5.14 Kernel on the old Darter and working perfectly with NO issues. So why is downloading from the Ubuntu repositories causing broken packages? Hmmmm. Annoyance. Thank goodness it is so easy to re-install Mint and get it back where I want it.

One more edit, on the plus side, I AM using the terminal more, and learned that to change directory to downloads I cannot type CD Downloads, I have to go CD /home/murph/Downloads. Plus I am learning just how fast terminal is. So it is not all bad, I am learning quite a bit.

Return to “Open Chat”