Download size and ad blockers

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
DAMIEN1307

Re: Download size and ad blockers

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Does uBlock Origin for example, decrease the amount of data that I download during browsing pages?
YEP...DAMIEN
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Thanks for the answer. Is uBlock Origin a good choice?
YEP to that one too...lol...In fact, probably the best choice thus far...DAMIEN
Grayfox
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Grayfox »

simply passing wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:49 am I have limited data download every month and I usually just browse the internet. Does uBlock Origin for example, decrease the amount of data that I download during browsing pages?
Yes, Ads that you see be they banner ads, video ads or plain text ads are made up of some kind of data.
Text ads use up the least data as each character is 1 byte and the code in the background which provides links also adds up, but you may be looking at 200bytes for a text ad.

Banner adds can use up to use up more but they're an image.

Video ads use the most.
But all ads are made to be downloaded quickly and be very efficient.

But the only time an Adblocker will be useful for data saving is on metered connections like mobile broadband connections.
Your home internet, it is like a drop in the ocean

But the amount you save is hard to say.
Maybe 100MiB?
Maybe more.

As for which adblocker you should use.

I agree with @Damien1307, uBlock Origin is the way to go.
AdBlockPlus Allows some ads through
PC: Intel i5 6600K @4.5Ghz, 1TB NVMe SSD, 32GiB 3000Mhz DDR4, GTX1080 running Mint 21.3
Laptop: Asus UM425UAZ running LMDE 6
famouslastwords

Post by famouslastwords »

Also use my phone's hotspot as main internet connection. One biggie is I tend to disable images both for saving bandwidth and attempting to increase browsing speed. It's no biggie to toggle the setting on when needed, in Firefox it's a matter of clicking one config option in about:config.

Note: In newer versions of Firefox, noticed you don't even have to restart the browser, can change config's in about:config in one tab, hit refresh in another tab and images load, I also personally despise javascript, so tend to keep it disabled via about:config most the time too.

Much can be done depending upon which browser is involved to reduce BW use. Of course really think it best to ask google-etc. Searches like "save bandwidth +nameofbrowser" etc. Cause it's a pretty vast topic but images can use a lot and often aren't needed for sites to function just fine.

I've had way too much coffee. :)
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

Decentraleyes is a good complement to uBO when it comes to data minimization.
In addition, the larger media chunks and external fonts can be blocked in the preferences of uBO:

AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

We are on a Metered limit of 100gB per month.

go crazy with YouTube and that will evaporate within 10 days, the next 22 days were a miserable experience being throttled to 128kBps which only allows TEXT emails and a few forums like this one.

uBlock Origin is a lifesaver in this type of situation.

also, our bandwidth is usually between 3-10 Mbps down....
streaming TV is out

my daughter can watch Netflix at 300 pixels on her Kindle w/o us suffering too much, but we have gone over the limit twice...
the 2nd time by only 2 days, which the serves did not catch for some reason?

Also, blocking fonts.googleapis.com proved another lifesaver, the PCs drop back to native on board fonts, not the crap from google
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

AZgl1500 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:45 pm We are on a Metered limit of 100gB per month.
whilst I'm able to pay more $$, to get 3 -5 x what we have available,
so far, at least, we don't exceed the 80Gb allowed, each month.

another Ad blocker to consider is Ablocker Ultimate
:)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Return to “Open Chat”