Well, today was a complete waste of makeup!

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Well, today was a complete waste of makeup!

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

I had several errands I needed to run...er...waddle today but, when I went out to start my truck, nothing. I called my insurance company to get a jump (it took and hour and a half for them to get there). When I popped the hood, the positive terminal was horribly corroded. The battery must have sprung a leak around the post because, a few weeks ago, it was still clean. I was annoyed but, you know, stuff happens. :x

After getting the truck started, I drove to the nearest dumpster to drop off a couple of bags of trash. They had just emptied them so the lids were closed. I had to juggle holding a lid open with one hand and trying to hoist each bag into the dumpster with the other hand. My annoyance level went up a notch or two. :x :x

I was going to go grocery shopping first but, rather than take chances, I went straight to Walmart to get a new battery. At least, I needed to go there anyway to pick up my prescriptions. I turned in the truck to automotive, got my prescriptions and picked a few other things I needed, then went back to automotive to see how long it was going to take. Only around 2.5 to 3 hours before they got to it. With my ADHD, I don't do wait very well so the wait felt like an eternity, even after getting a book to read while waiting. After 3.5 hours, they told me they couldn't replace the battery because they didn't have the correct cable. Now I'm really P.O.ed! :x :x :x

Since I had to get the truck jumped again to get out of there, going anywhere else was out of the question so I drove to Goodyear, left the truck with them, and got a ride home. Goodyear won't be able to start on the truck before tomorrow early in the afternoon. Now, I'm mad enough chew 20d nails and spit out thumbtacks. :x :x :x :x I'm not blaming Goodyear (Wally World, on the other hand) but it still bites my ample asset.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Well, today was a complete waste of makeup!

Post by absque fenestris »

How is Mr. Murphy doing? You obviously had plenty of time to exchange news ...
151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

I bought a new battery last year for my old 1994 truck I have and everything was great.

I don't drive the truck much nowadays and decided to hop in the truck and drive it around and when I opened the door no lights came on.

I went ahead and tried to start the truck and nothing dead as a door nail.

I have one of those battery jump packs that cost around $100.00 when I bought it and so I connected it up to the battery and started the truck right off.

I guess I just plain forgot at my age (70 years old) if ya don't drive your vehicle regularly that the battery can and in this case discharge itself for whatever reason.

Perhaps all of that computerized electronic crap can draw enough power holding everything in memory to run the battery down or maybe my one year old battery is a POS.

Yep it's irritating as hell but I was glad to have the battery jump pack charged and ready for use best money I spent.
Last edited by 151tom on Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Last year we said, 'Things can't go on like this', and they didn't, they got worse.
[Will Rogers]

There are two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither works.
[Will Rogers]
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

absque fenestris wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:00 pm How is Mr. Murphy doing? You obviously had plenty of time to exchange news ...
:?:
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Anything that can go wrong will go wrong. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murphy's_law
famouslastwords

Post by famouslastwords »

Sure sounds like a fairly crappy day LadyF.

Addendum to Murphy's law ...
Probably at the worst possible moment.
Ah that Murphy, he must've been a cheerful fellow. :D
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Oh, THAT Mr. Murphy. After today, my brain is fried. I've been dealing with other issues lately (actually, since November of 2016), mostly a result of other people's incompetence or apathy so today was just adding insult to injury and rubbing salt into the wounds.
Jeannie

absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:29 pm Oh, THAT Mr. Murphy. After today, my brain is fried. I've been dealing with other issues lately (actually, since November of 2016), mostly a result of other people's incompetence or apathy so today was just adding insult to injury and rubbing salt into the wounds.
This is then called an encounter with principles. Mr. Peter will certainly be happy to give you more detailed information ... :lol:
famouslastwords

Arghhhhh !!! Which Peter ?!! Saint Peter ? Ye are devious and speak in riddles. :D
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

famouslastwords wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:04 am Arghhhhh !!! Which Peter ?!! Saint Peter ? Ye are devious and speak in riddles. :D
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_principle
Jeannie

absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

famouslastwords wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:04 am Arghhhhh !!! Which Peter ?!! Saint Peter ? Ye are devious and speak in riddles. :D
St. Peter is responsible for the rain and for the greeting at the gate. This rather secular Mr. Peter has dealt with promotions.
famouslastwords

^ Nice ... and thanks @LadyF, I was stumped and would've never gotten that one. :)
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

famouslastwords wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:27 am ^ Nice ... and thanks @LadyF, I was stumped and would've never gotten that one. :)
I wish I had a dollar for every time I saw it in practice. I so do NOT miss working for Corporate America. It was like living in a Dilbert comic.
Jeannie

absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

The new day dawns and we bravely face the buttery side drop test.
For the time being, I am still slightly optimistic.
I wish Lady Fitzgerald a nice meeting with a good-humored and generous Lady Fortuna for today.
Grayfox
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Grayfox »

I hate it when battery cables break.

Had to do a repair on my car 2 weeks ago.
The tightening bolt snapped when I was tightening the connection.
2021-09-13 15.06.55.jpg
2021-09-13 15.06.55.jpg (46.2 KiB) Viewed 866 times
So I made a new cable which was also thicker than the stock.
2021-09-13 15.07.38.jpg
2021-09-13 15.07.38.jpg (45.62 KiB) Viewed 866 times
Good thing I love to tinker with electronics and cars.
Fix was simple for me.
PC: Intel i5 6600K @4.5Ghz, 1TB NVMe SSD, 32GiB 3000Mhz DDR4, GTX1080 running Mint 21.3
Laptop: Asus UM425UAZ running LMDE 6
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

On a positive note, when I was a lad you were lucky if you got three years out of a car battery. Earlier in the year partner's Saab wouldn't start, breakdown called out, dead battery replaced. It was the original battery, ten years old. Thought I'd play safe and got the battery in my Merc replaced, it was starting to struggle in cold weather, also original and ten years old.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

The biggest complaint I have with modern day car batteries is the maintenance free type where the car owner is not able to remove the caps and check the water level in the battery and add distilled water when needed.

I always buy a car battery that have removable caps so I can on a regular bases check the water level and add distilled water when needed.

The hot summer temperatures and the normal charging from the cars alternator causes the water in a car battery to evaporate and needs to be replenished with distilled water every now and then.

I always try and buy the biggest car battery with the most cold cranking amps that will safely and securely fit in the battery tray.
Last edited by 151tom on Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Last year we said, 'Things can't go on like this', and they didn't, they got worse.
[Will Rogers]

There are two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither works.
[Will Rogers]
Grayfox
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Grayfox »

AndyMH wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:50 am On a positive note, when I was a lad you were lucky if you got three years out of a car battery. Earlier in the year partner's Saab wouldn't start, breakdown called out, dead battery replaced. It was the original battery, ten years old. Thought I'd play safe and got the battery in my Merc replaced, it was starting to struggle in cold weather, also original and ten years old.
We demand more out of a car battery these days.
In the past it was just used to crank the car, the alternator took care of everything else.

Now with all the computer modules in cars(some have easily 10), all the additional junk, like headunits with android auto, keyless start, 12 speaker sound systems.
Cranking the engine over requires more power these days as well due to the tighter tolerances, smaller batteries are also installed these days as well.
A larger battery has more weight, more weight means more fuel used, more fuel used means worse emissions, so manufactures install a battery that is at the "That will do" point.
If your car came with a battery that has 500CCA new and the engine needs a minimum 400CCA battery before cranking becomes near impossible, that is not much headroom.
But install a 650CCA battery and you have more headroom, and we also don't treat batteries right either, short trips which most people do are no good for a battery.

Every friday evening I put my cars battery to charge as I do a lot of short trips every day.
The battery did go flat once but that was due to a parasitic draw issue.

But the battery is nearly 3 years old and still good.

Covid has not helped matters, many cars are just left parked and when someone needs to go start them.
ClackClackClackClack is the sound you will hear as you try and crank.
PC: Intel i5 6600K @4.5Ghz, 1TB NVMe SSD, 32GiB 3000Mhz DDR4, GTX1080 running Mint 21.3
Laptop: Asus UM425UAZ running LMDE 6
LMF
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LMF »

My favorite addemdum to Murphy's law: Murphy was an optimist.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

I've had phenomenally good luck with vehicle batteries. Since the hot climate I live in is brutal on batteries, I always get the biggest, baddest battery that can be crammed into the vehicle. I've had three Walmart batteries and overall, they've been pretty good. The problem with Walmart is their mechanics are incompetent idiots that can't follow instructions. I spoke to Goodyear this morning and they said replacing the cable end wasn't a problem (I would have preferred a new cable). Their batteries have only a two year warranty so we'll see how that goes. I should be getting my baby back soon (I also had them do an oil change while they have her).
Jeannie

Return to “Open Chat”