Well, today was a complete waste of makeup!

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Well, today was a complete waste of makeup!

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Grayfox wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:04 am
AndyMH wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:50 am On a positive note, when I was a lad you were lucky if you got three years out of a car battery. Earlier in the year partner's Saab wouldn't start, breakdown called out, dead battery replaced. It was the original battery, ten years old. Thought I'd play safe and got the battery in my Merc replaced, it was starting to struggle in cold weather, also original and ten years old.
We demand more out of a car battery these days.
In the past it was just used to crank the car, the alternator took care of everything else...
Imagine what it was like when cars had only generators and separate, mechanical voltage regulators. I "fondly" remember those days.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
famouslastwords

Post by famouslastwords »

The Fred Flintstone car days were really the best. No engine, transmission ... errr floorboards, stone tires (so getting a flat tire was impossible.) "Yabba dabba doo!" :P
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Car batteries do seem to last considerably longer than in the bad old days..... Furthermore, they don't tend to leak any more (which used to be an issue with the refillable ones).

I always grease the battery terminals with vaseline, so they can't corrode. In the past I used to buy quality brand batteries only (I usually do the replacements myself, because it's easy), but even the cheap brands seem to be pretty reliable these days. There is some definite progress in the world, people....
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Pjotr wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:49 pm Car batteries do seem to last considerably longer than in the bad old days..... Furthermore, they don't tend to leak any more (which used to be an issue with the refillable ones).

I always grease the battery terminals with vaseline, so they can't corrode. In the past I used to buy quality brand batteries only (I usually do the replacements myself, because it's easy), but even the cheap brands seem to be pretty reliable these days. There is some definite progress in the world, people....
I used to replace my batteries myself but I'm now too old and decrepit to do it anymore. There's no way I could lift one in and out my truck (those batteries aren't exactly lightweights.

My daddy used to use Vaseline on his battery terminals. The only problem was he was putting the Vaseline on before he installed them on the battery, not after, until a mechanic told him why he shouldn't. I was just a little kid but I paid attention.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:05 pm
Pjotr wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:49 pm Car batteries do seem to last considerably longer than in the bad old days..... Furthermore, they don't tend to leak any more (which used to be an issue with the refillable ones).

I used to replace my batteries myself but I'm now too old and decrepit to do it anymore. There's no way I could lift one in and out my truck (those batteries aren't exactly lightweights.

My daddy used to use Vaseline on his battery terminals. The only problem was he was putting the Vaseline on before he installed them on the battery, not after, until a mechanic told him why he shouldn't. I was just a little kid but I paid attention.
Woo Hoo! I got my baby back. My little 150 Screw (Super Crew) is back and working. I got it back in time to make three of the four errands I was going to waddle yesterday. I still need to go grocery shopping (I'm so not looking forward to that chore) but that can keep 'til tomorrow...or Sunday...Monday?
Jeannie

Grayfox
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Grayfox »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:58 pm I still need to go grocery shopping (I'm so not looking forward to that chore) but that can keep 'til tomorrow...or Sunday...Monday?
Do you have grocery shopping delivery where you live?
Order online and get it delivered.
PC: Intel i5 6600K @4.5Ghz, 1TB NVMe SSD, 32GiB 3000Mhz DDR4, GTX1080 running Mint 21.3
Laptop: Asus UM425UAZ running LMDE 6
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:44 pm I had several errands I needed to run...er...waddle today but, when I went out to start my truck, nothing. I called my insurance company to get a jump (it took and hour and a half for them to get there). When I popped the hood, the positive terminal was horribly corroded. The battery must have sprung a leak around the post because, a few weeks ago, it was still clean. I was annoyed but, you know, stuff happens. :x

After getting the truck started, I drove to the nearest dumpster to drop off a couple of bags of trash. They had just emptied them so the lids were closed. I had to juggle holding a lid open with one hand and trying to hoist each bag into the dumpster with the other hand. My annoyance level went up a notch or two. :x :x

I was going to go grocery shopping first but, rather than take chances, I went straight to Walmart to get a new battery. At least, I needed to go there anyway to pick up my prescriptions. I turned in the truck to automotive, got my prescriptions and picked a few other things I needed, then went back to automotive to see how long it was going to take. Only around 2.5 to 3 hours before they got to it. With my ADHD, I don't do wait very well so the wait felt like an eternity, even after getting a book to read while waiting. After 3.5 hours, they told me they couldn't replace the battery because they didn't have the correct cable. Now I'm really P.O.ed! :x :x :x

Since I had to get the truck jumped again to get out of there, going anywhere else was out of the question so I drove to Goodyear, left the truck with them, and got a ride home. Goodyear won't be able to start on the truck before tomorrow early in the afternoon. Now, I'm mad enough chew 20d nails and spit out thumbtacks. :x :x :x :x I'm not blaming Goodyear (Wally World, on the other hand) but it still bites my ample asset.
These kind of days are more plentiful in the autumn of our years
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Grayfox wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:19 pm
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:58 pm I still need to go grocery shopping (I'm so not looking forward to that chore) but that can keep 'til tomorrow...or Sunday...Monday?
Do you have grocery shopping delivery where you live?
Order online and get it delivered.
Some places have it but the store where I get the vast majority of my groceries (Winco) doesn't. Frankly, I'm leery of grocery delivery because of all the screw-ups I've run into the last few years. Checking the order before signing for it would take too long plus I would have to do it at the door since I'm not allowing anyone in my house during this pandemic. I don't even pay for my prescriptions anymore until they recount them in front of me. Errors happen only a few times a year but do they happen and when it does, once I leave the store, it's my word against theirs as to whether there was an error made or not (and it has gotten ugly in the past when it happens hence having them recount while I watch).

I've stopped ordering fast food for delivery because the orders were often wrong or the delivery personnel couldn't follow directions. I've even had problems when using the drive through. Now that the more highly contagious Delta Variant of Covid is out and our idiot Governor won't issue mask and social distancing mandates, I want to see my order being prepared to make sure the person preparing it properly masked up, etc. The only place I know that does that is a Subway near me and I often have to tell them how to cut the damned bun (since when did bun cutting become rocket science?) :roll:
Jeannie

famouslastwords

Post by famouslastwords »

^ Hey, hey, hey now. I believe people who work at Subway are referred to as "sandwich artists." At least think that's what they're told when people get a job there. :P Yep ... google confirms it.

Return to “Open Chat”