Standardised charging plugs

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Standardised charging plugs

Post by cliffcoggin »

I welcome the news that the EU plans to demand a standard charging plug for all mobile devices. I doubt it will significantly reduce the amount of waste, but as a user I am sick of hunting for the correct plug amongst a plethora of similar minute plugs. At present I need cables for USB-A2(or3) to USB-C/mini USB/micro USB/satnav (don't know what it is called), and few of them are large enough to attach a label for identification. I hope the commission will choose something sturdy, rather than the flimsy micro types, but I'll not hold my breath.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-58665809
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cliff Coggin
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Standardised charging plugs

Post by RollyShed »

You think that is all?

This morning our Shed's router's power supply was found dead. OK, 12 volt power supplies are common or are around here. However !!!!.... the router concerned had a bigger diameter centre pin than 12 volt items should have. There are standards, bigger diameter pin on 9 volt items to stop a 12 volt supply being plugged in.

BUT, not all manufacturers follow simple procedures..... Then the internet supplier went down.....
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

those standards are nice, but only if Manufacturers will use them.
:arrow:

it would seem that Apple is moving to usb -c style anyway,
and this would only hasten that move.

- - except that Apple doesn't being told what it has to do,
and that only Apple can tell others what they should be doing . .
:roll:

those DC plug's are an nuisance with their various sizes,
and their reverse polarity issue.
- - which does make several different power bricks, that you do need to have,
as an spare or three, on hand . .
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

Pierre wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:40 pm - - except that Apple doesn't being told what it has to do,
I shan't shed any tears for Apple or any other manufacturer that dislikes being forced to change their proprietary equipment. If they want to continue selling phones they will submit to orders.
Cliff Coggin
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Pierre wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:40 pm those standards are nice, but only if Manufacturers will use them.
That is what EU laws and regulations are for.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Moem wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:26 am
Pierre wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:40 pm those standards are nice, but only if Manufacturers will use them.
Now, if only the SSA would do likewise.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Pierre wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:40 pm ...those DC plug's are an nuisance with their various sizes,
and their reverse polarity issue.
- - which does make several different power bricks, that you do need to have,
as an spare or three, on hand . .
RollyShed wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:25 pm ...the router concerned had a bigger diameter centre pin than 12 volt items should have. There are standards, bigger diameter pin on 9 volt items to stop a 12 volt supply being plugged in...
Manufacturers haven't been able to standardize their PSU connectors within their own lines. I have three different Lenovo notebooks and each one has a different PSU connector. :roll:
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

cliffcoggin wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:14 am I welcome the news that the EU plans to demand a standard charging plug for all mobile devices. I doubt it will significantly reduce the amount of waste, but as a user I am sick of hunting for the correct plug amongst a plethora of similar minute plugs.
Yep, the standard is going to be USB C, which honestly only makes sense because of why it was developed and what it was developed for.
cliffcoggin wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:47 am
Pierre wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:40 pm - - except that Apple doesn't being told what it has to do,
I shan't shed any tears for Apple or any other manufacturer that dislikes being forced to change their proprietary equipment. If they want to continue selling phones they will submit to orders.
Oh, Apple's already throwing a hissy fit with the European Commission. They're gonna have two choices, I believe, and only one of them will make them money, so...
Moem wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:26 am
Agreed. And thank goodness the EU is actually *doing something* for a change.
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:20 am Now, if only the SSA would do likewise.
I don't think it's going to matter, because they're already going to have to produce USB C-ported devices for the European market. It really wouldn't make any sense for them to continue to produce those units with non USB C power ports for the U.S.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

I write an electronics newsletter for those NZ Sheds who might be interested. An issue or so back this was one article. Note the last link to 10 connectors -
Laptop Power Supply Plugs
If you thought things were interchangeable you haven't tried laptop power supplies and their output plugs.
Two types at small and medium diameter and fit a thin centre pin in the laptop.
Two at a bigger diameter, with or without a centre pin on the cord plug. The centre pin one has one of the output voltages through the pin and the same voltage through a resistor to one of the cylindrical contacts.
One oblong cross section for Lenovo laptops.
One small oblong cross section on Asus TP200.
eMachines 350 – small diameter, 18.5 volts
HP Compaq Presario V6500 – small diameter, at least 19.5 volts with plenty of amps
HP - next size up (thin one does fit the larger socket – at least on one computer)
Toshiba Tecra – large diameter, 15 volts
Dell - large diameter with centre pin in the plug, 20 volts, 2.25 amp
All supplies run at 18 – 19.5 volts output – except when they don't, see below.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_adapter
https://blog.voltaicsystems.com/laptop-adapter-guide/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coaxial_power_connector
https://www.akshatblog.com/how-to-find- ... r-charger/
This site has a picture of 10 sizes.
https://www.tpstech.in/blogs/tech/choos ... rtant-easy
farkas
Level 5
Level 5

Post by farkas »

This has been one of biggest my gripes. See my post
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=345668
If your query has been resolved, edit your first post and add [SOLVED] to the subject line.
If you found a solution on your own please post it.
A generation which ignores history has no past and no future.
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

farkas wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:30 am This has been one of biggest my gripes. See my post
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=345668
You say in that, "The only thing in common is the plug that connects to the wall socket." OK, that applies to you at home but leave home and even your voltage is wrong (!!!!). Have you counted how many wall socket types there are in the world? Fortunately, with modern electronics applied, most power supplies can survive with a range of input voltages from 100vAC to 250vAC. Even the frequency doesn't upset them, 50 or 60 Hz.

Return to “Open Chat”