Show Us Your Stickers

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Show Us Your Stickers

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

majpooper wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:45 pm
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:58 pm
absque fenestris wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:54 pm

Petrol is good for the rough stuff, a wooden scraper to scrape off stickers and finally polish the surface with an old handkerchief and lighter fluid.
This works great on aluminum, but also with plastic CD cases.
All ugly stickers and adhesive traces can be removed completely without damaging the surface.
I have a Lenovo that Goo be Gone not only took off the goo from a Windows sticker, it took off the color. :x
It will dull a shiny finish but some polishing compound should bring back the shine
Shine shmine, what about the color? It went from black to a dirty white.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

This is due to the coloring quality of the plastic used and is a botch-up by the manufacturer.
Last year, I refurbished an Acer laptop that was about 13 years old and heavily defaced with stickers. The base color was a very dark gray.
After the petroleum treatment, the lid looked a bit worn out, but the stickers had left surprisingly few traces (no discoloration) which speaks for the plastic quality. A post-treatment with beeswax brought the whole thing back to an acceptable condition.
Bad luck if the surface has a rubbery coating.
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

I tried all manner of things from tips on the Internet to include letting the sticker residue soak in mayo. I have not tried anything like paint thinner however. Goo be Gone has been my go to - even for removing some of the emblems on the last few cars I bought (got that from the Internet as well) - no damage to the paint. I never had it actually remove the color pigment from the few laptops I used it on though. The old MacBook was so bad that I used a very mild sand paper on it and like I said polished it back not unlike plastic models -that's where I got the idea from.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I have had good luck using a hairdryer and then just regular isopropyl rubbing alcohol.
Michael_Hathaway
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Michael_Hathaway »

I created this sticker in Photoshop, running in Linux Mint.

Enterprise Dual Xeon 8081 (112) @3.8Ghz, 16TB NVMe Raid, 387Gb ECC, AMD Pro W7700 16Gb
Debian Support. Deb 12/13 Trixie 6.7.9
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Michael_Hathaway wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:49 am I created this sticker in Photoshop, running in Linux Mint.

OK! Creating one's own sticker; that's just cool!
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:31 am
Michael_Hathaway wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:49 am I created this sticker in Photoshop, running in Linux Mint.

OK! Creating one's own sticker; that's just cool!
I agree, very cool. I find stickers give me an unquantifiable minor quantum speed and attractiveness increase... :D
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:39 am ...I find stickers give me an unquantifiable minor quantum speed and attractiveness increase... :D
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I love how you worded that!
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:21 pm
MurphCID wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:39 am ...I find stickers give me an unquantifiable minor quantum speed and attractiveness increase... :D
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I love how you worded that!
It’s true, all true. 😁😁
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Time to give this thread a jump start. While technically not a sticker, I just put an iron-on applique onto my Laptop bag.

IMG_0003.1.JPG

I'll eventually need to stitch down the edges but, right now, I have a bad case of Ancient Chinese Disease ("Dragon" Arse)

In an effort to catch up with MurphCID, I added another sticker to my laptop lid. I still have a ways to go.

IMG_0004.JPG
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Nice, no one else? What a shame.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Any new sticker photos?
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:21 am Any new sticker photos?
Yes (albeit belatedly).

After getting Mint 19.3 "installed" on my "new" laptop (LT 2) and fixing most of the minor issues it has, it's time to improve performance (not to mention appearance) by sticker bombing it. I had only a few stickers on hand so I'll have to order some more but, for now, here are the ones I've installed for now.

This is the unadorned laptop.

1.jpg

These are the only stickers that came with LT 2. They had to go. This and the previous pictures were taken while I was updating the last data drive (actually, partition) from LT1's backup drives.

2.jpg

After peeling off those stickers (I have no idea what the one under the HDMI sticker was), it was time to deal with the potential privacy issue from the webcam and microphones. This label tape should do the job.

3.jpg
Jeannie

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

I've installed the few stickers I had and the label tapes with my "cheat sheets" on the laptop. Note how I dealt with the unwanted Windows key.

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

That's all for now until I order some more stickers.
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Stickers just make it look cool and give an undefinable quantum increase in speed.....
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:23 pm I've installed the few stickers I had and the label tapes with my "cheat sheets" on the laptop. Note how I dealt with the unwanted Windows key.

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

That's all for now until I order some more stickers.
LOL, Just saw that sticker on the windows key!
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

I'm a firm believer in never putting stickers on a guitar, so that extends to my computers, or basically anything I own. I cannot stand stickers on things. Glad y'all enjoy them, but to me they sort of completly ruin the aesthetic of something. I guess I'm just boring like that. :roll: That being said, it's nice to see the Linux love, with all these penguin stickers. :lol:
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Termy wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:28 am I'm a firm believer in never putting stickers on a guitar, so that extends to my computers, or basically anything I own. I cannot stand stickers on things. Glad y'all enjoy them, but to me they sort of completly ruin the aesthetic of something. I guess I'm just boring like that. :roll: That being said, it's nice to see the Linux love, with all these penguin stickers. :lol:
Hey, it's your stuff so do whatever you want with it; you'll get no grief from me. Using stickers isn't mandatory for everyone.
Jeannie

majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

Termy wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:28 am I'm a firm believer in never putting stickers on a guitar, so that extends to my computers, or basically anything I own. I cannot stand stickers on things. Glad y'all enjoy them, but to me they sort of completly ruin the aesthetic of something. I guess I'm just boring like that. :roll: That being said, it's nice to see the Linux love, with all these penguin stickers. :lol:
Termy I with you but as they say "beauty is in the eye of the beholder"
I blacked out the chrome badges on my car because I think it looks bad a$$.
My wife's response; "you are not going to crap up my car like you do yours."
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

I just removed all the stickers from my laptop, it looks more stealthy without the AMD and NVIDIA badges and the QR link for the user manual was just begging to go. I should have done it sooner though because the adhesive had cured and they were bugging me because they were slightly crooked. I ended up using one of the stickers that came off cleaner to pull the remaining adhesive that was left behind by the other stickers. The laptop is alloy so after I just wiped it with a very slightly damp microfibre cloth and it looks pristine.

On my old laptop I had a huge white tux (inverted line drawing outline version) and some logos from a few linux distributions and programs on the lid all sourced from stickermule.

Conversely on the rear of our cars, there is now a red vinyl welsh dragon since we got the current cars after it became illegal in the UK have that, a country code or any other graphic on the left of the numberplate like before.

Nice car maj, there was version of the Outback with the engine from the Impreza WRX but I don't know if they still make that.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.

Return to “Open Chat”