The Five Laws of Stupidity

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: The Five Laws of Stupidity

Post by Moem »

Gentlefolks, I surely don't need to remind anyone here of the 'No Politics' rule that we have on these forums....?

... That's what I thought. 8)

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
rambo919
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rambo919 »

So without watching the vid and going purely by the commentary on this thread..... the author is being unintentionally stupid while berating the stupid people without any self awareness?
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

rambo919 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:55 am So without watching the vid and going purely by the commentary on this thread..... the author is being unintentionally stupid while berating the stupid people without any self awareness?
No. Watch the videos and read the article I linked.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
act
Level 1
Level 1

Post by act »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:54 am And where did you get your psychology degree? In this thread, we are discussing behavior, not intelligence; the two are not the same.
Why are you so obsessive over this idea that just because you have a degree in psychology, the insights and knowledge others have on human behaviour is now entirely null? It's a serious appeal to authority, arguing that their opinions on your statements - including my comments on your statements - are invalidated because we don't have a degree is fallacious in nature. Now sure, that doesn't mean your point is incorrect, but it's very inflammatory to discard people on the basis that they haven't chose of all things the study of human behaviour and patterns as a large investment in their life.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

act wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:01 pm
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:54 am And where did you get your psychology degree? In this thread, we are discussing behavior, not intelligence; the two are not the same.
Why are you so obsessive over this idea that just because you have a degree in psychology, the insights and knowledge others have on human behaviour is now entirely null? It's a serious appeal to authority, arguing that their opinions on your statements - including my comments on your statements - are invalidated because we don't have a degree is fallacious in nature. Now sure, that doesn't mean your point is incorrect, but it's very inflammatory to discard people on the basis that they haven't chose of all things the study of human behaviour and patterns as a large investment in their life.
I never said that the insights and "knowledge" of others is entirely (or even partially) null other than you and Hoser Rob. You made false accusations of what I had posted earlier and acted like you were some kind of authority figure. Hoser Rob made statements he never would have made had he taken Psychology 101 (or paid attention in class if he did), then, when I pointed out his fallacies, he dismissed them as "pompous drivel" like he thought he was some kind of expert.

I've found when people start handing out bad advice or making erroneous comments about things, asking them where they got their degree in whatever the field was usually puts and end to it. I've had health issues all my life and when employers couldn't understand them or were just intolerant of them, claiming I was malingering, I would just ask if they were doctors or where did they get their medical degrees. That would put an end to their hassling me since they would be obligated to either get real doctors involved, at their expense, or back off.

The same happened when I first got my ADHD diagnosis. My employer didn't believe it when I declared it (necessary for protection under the ADA) but when I challenged HR on that, they got their own shrink involved, at their expense, and found out otherwise.

BTW, besides having a Bachelor of Science degree in Psychology, I have been a guest speaker in the past for numerous local college classes and volunteer work with various LGBT support groups in the past. I was also once on a panel at a nationwide Psychology Symposium held in San Diego; I wouldn't have been invited if I wasn't qualified. My studies did not end after I got my degree even though I never was employed in the field (blue collar wages, benefits, and job security were much better).
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
act
Level 1
Level 1

Post by act »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:11 pm I've found when people start handing out bad advice or making erroneous comments about things, asking them where they got their degree in whatever the field was usually puts and end to it.
I'm assuming you notice that statement "puts and end to it" because you believe everyone goes "Wow, she's so smart!"
No, we believe you're, as the other guy said, a very pompous person who spits out worthless drivel that uses a degree to avoid genuine discussion. This entire thread has devolved into you trying to justify this behaviour instead of discussing what defines stupidity.
For example, I stated that my issue with the article is that usually the idea that "Being stupid is a loss to others for no actual benefit" can be warped because losses usually occur over the long-term, and it's not fair to call people "stupid" particularly in moral beliefs because foresight is something that few people have a very good grasp on. You immediately took to first, disassociating yourself with the article, by saying you "didn't agree or disagree" with it, as opposed to taking a side and contributing to my input on it, and in the case that you disagreed with it you would've corrected me. Then you started saying that I didn't have a degree in psychology; which implies you believe my opinion and input is less valuable because of the lack of higher education in the subject, which likely filled the attitude of Rob with the belief that you're a pompous person.
All-in-all, you've done nothing but used this thread as opportunity to fulfill your own ego, and instead of creating an interesting discussion on what can be defined as "stupidity", you're fighting tooth-and-nail to defend your ego when challenged.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

<mod>
Yet another "open chat" thread has ended, like so many before it have ended. Participants fighting against each other. Thread locked.
</mod>
Last edited by karlchen on Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed my own unfriendly comment.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline

Return to “Open Chat”