Airplane passengers behaving terribly

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Airplane passengers behaving terribly

Post by Schultz »

First, before anybody makes a comment, notice that this is in the Open Chat section of the forum.

Here in the US we have been having many incidents of airplane passenger behaving very unruly, even attacking other passenger and flight attendants. It has only gotten this bad just after the covid flying restrictions were lifted. I just read an article this morning about a brawl between several passengers in an airport after the plane touched down in Minnesota (link here). I'm just curious for those who live in Europe (or anywhere else), is the same thing happening over there?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Airplane passengers behaving terribly

Post by cliffcoggin »

I can't say I have noticed an increase here since WuFlu struck. There are the ocassional cases of flights being diverted because of belligerent drunks.
Cliff Coggin
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

I'm mostly wondering, "why"? According to this article, these unruly incidents have more than doubled this year.
old_noob
Level 4
Level 4

Post by old_noob »

It's not totally new. My ex worked for an airline and we flew a lot. It stopped being fun about 1999 (and of course got much worse a couple of years later). Most airlines hit major scheduling and computer snafus about this time due to greed overcoming reason (and maybe Windows shares a little blame...). I remember watching a ranting passenger waiting for a late flight berate a United attendant (they were having more issues than most). She stood there and took 15 minutes of his shouting and borderline threats without flinching or becoming impolite. When the a.h. finally stalked away she got a round of applause from about 50 of us. Yes, management far away from that remote airport screwed up big time. How does that justify abusing a flight desk attendant who was probably making about 12 bucks an hour in those days? Fortunately, never saw any really bad behavior in the air. Glad I don't want to fly anywhere in the foreseeable future...
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

Schultz wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:44 am First, before anybody makes a comment, notice that this is in the Open Chat section of the forum.
We Know, and that is a good question Schultzy.

I guess the answer is there are a lot of harse whipes out there. ...Sadly, not only in the USA.
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
busdriver12
Level 3
Level 3

Post by busdriver12 »

There's been quite a few similar incidents here in Australia as well over the past year or so. The one that makes the news here most are miners returning home from the Pilbara region of Western Australia getting wrecked on the plane (sometimes beforehand) and creating all sorts of havoc.
Phil

Linux Mint 21.3
Cinnamon 6.0.4
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Lately, some of these actually quite nasty and threateningly violent folk are getting jailed and being fined incredible amounts.

Personally, I hope this continues. We need people to actually get consequences for what are legitimately quite bad acts.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

I think they should stop serving alcohol on the planes, and also in any bars/restaurants in the airport. People today obviously have no self-control unlike the past. Yes, it wouldn't eliminate the problem, but it sure would cut it down some.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Schultz wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:41 pm I think they should stop serving alcohol on the planes, and also in any bars/restaurants in the airport. People today obviously have no self-control unlike the past. Yes, it wouldn't eliminate the problem, but it sure would cut it down some.
this I agree with, there is no valid reason to serve Alcohol on an airplane, period.

it is a known contributor to bad manners, and in light of our society crumbling apart, it should be banned, just like any weapon is banned period, no excuses.

for me, an Orange Crush is about as violent as I get...
at 78 years of age, I have yet to consume as much as 12 oz of that stuff, excluding all of the pharmaceutical meds that have been prescribed or OTC ( cough medicines? )

My dad would come home from work, and start in on a six pack of 3.2% Coors Beer....
by the 3rd can, he was retelling stories that all of our family had heard for decades...

that "canned" alcohol for me, period.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
ricardogroetaers
Level 6
Level 6

Post by ricardogroetaers »

No news of this kind of problem around here, except for this isolated case:
https://exame.com/negocios/passageiro-fogo-aviao-gol/
Note: use a translator.
DavidMcCann
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DavidMcCann »

A quick check shows it's almost always drunks on British planes — I agree that they should stop serving alcohol. The going rate for it seems to be from 6 months to 2 years in jail. I never understand why the women all get the light sentences, even when they've head-butted and bitten people.
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

My worst experience was on a shared plane. British Airways holiday passengers mixed with business passengers from a different airline. We had to put up with rude drunk Brits starting their holiday in a bar at a London airport. Some left the flight at Singapore, or Bangkok, wherever I was working. The "good" airline dumped us on the BA flight to Sydney. The BA flight attendant apologised to me several times and had to change her jacket a couple of times due to "spillage".

If aeroplanes server alcohol in flight, they should follow the same rules as pubs and make drunks leave the premisses.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Petermint wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:47 am ...If aeroplanes server alcohol in flight, they should follow the same rules as pubs and make drunks leave the premisses.
That could be "interesting" while in flight. That first step would be a doozy. :shock:
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:08 am That could be "interesting" while in flight. That first step would be a doozy. :shock:
Ha ha. More like the last step. :)
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Schultz wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:51 am
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:08 am That could be "interesting" while in flight. That first step would be a doozy. :shock:
Ha ha. More like the last step. :)
:lol: True that.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Yep--bounce-m out of there. :twisted:

On a return flight from Montreal there was a lush trying to hit on everybody--
staggering, slurring, boisterous.
Not violent but equally disturbing.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

Schultz wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:41 pm I think they should stop serving alcohol on the planes, and also in any bars/restaurants in the airport. People today obviously have no self-control unlike the past. Yes, it wouldn't eliminate the problem, but it sure would cut it down some.
+1 good idea - same with sporting events.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

majpooper wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:22 pm
I pity anyone announcing this at Arrowhead-- or anywhere for that matter
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

all41 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:52 am
majpooper wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:22 pm
I pity anyone announcing this at Arrowhead-- or anywhere for that matter
I just don't "get it" I am sure because I don't drink. So, yeah, it is hard for me to understand why people come to sporting events to get drunk. I think it's sad that you can't go to a sporting event with your kids and drunk fans are using all kinds of vile language. Where I grew up (Philadelphia) they actually had a magistrate at the stadium to process the arrests for the drunken fights that would break out - I never saw a fight that did not involve alcohol. For God's sake if mixing drinking and sports is soooo important to some folks then then they should go to a sports bar and fight and use vile language to thier hearts content but let the rest of us enjoy the game with our families.

The same applies to airplanes - why does anyone need a drink when flying on an airplane?
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

It has happened once again. I wonder if he knew it was an air marshal he was assaulting.

Delta plane diverted mid-flight after air marshal, flight attendant assaulted

Return to “Open Chat”