What are the first thing(s) you do when you boot up?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Re: What are the first thing(s) you do when you boot up?

Post by mikeflan »

Mount 3 disks in Disks.
Terminate UBus.
Start 3 terminals, open 4 text files in xed, and 2 Nemo windows - all visible on all workspaces.
Start LM forums on workspace 2.
Start my work stuff on workspace 3.
Eventually get a Firefox running on workspaces 1 and 3.

If possible I run for weeks between reboots. 9 days uptime right now.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

mikeflan wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:04 pm ... If possible I run for weeks between reboots. 9 days uptime right now.
Many who do this do not seem to realize that it's not just kernel updates where you should reboot after an update. I always install debian-goodies from the repos, lots of good utilities there. One of them is checkrestart.

After an update, unless it was only for something obviously an app like vivaldi, I run sudo checkrestart in the terminal. It'll tell you if a program is still running using the old libraries that you just did a security update to. If so, reboot. Surprising how often that happens.

Oh, as far as the original question goes, I always open the file manager and check for updates.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Hoser Rob wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:09 am
mikeflan wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:04 pm ... If possible I run for weeks between reboots. 9 days uptime right now.
Many who do this do not seem to realize that it's not just kernel updates where you should reboot after an update. I always install debian-goodies from the repos, lots of good utilities there. One of them is checkrestart.

After an update, unless it was only for something obviously an app like vivaldi, I run sudo checkrestart in the terminal. It'll tell you if a program is still running using the old libraries that you just did a security update to. If so, reboot. Surprising how often that happens.

Oh, as far as the original question goes, I always open the file manager and check for updates.
Agreed. I always reboot since I shut down my laptops after use. But I always reboot after a Kernel update.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:00 am I'm also on a laptop so it's been shut down overnight. When I first boot up, I just drag my calendar a whopping 3/16" to the upper right hand corner and check it to see what I need to do that morning, if anything. Then I click on my browser which opens into my home page which is my email.

Bluetooth is already set to off (I can turn it back on via its icon in the panel). I just glance at the Update icon in the panel from time to time to see if there are any updates (I like to go ahead and run them shortly after I get them to be done with it).

Saturday mornings are an exception. I plug in my Ventoy USB flash drive, boot into it, then make an image of my boot drive with Rescuezilla. When done, I yank Ventoy and boot as usual. I takes me all of five minutes.

On the first Saturday of every other month, I also test the image I just made by "restoring" it to a spare boot drive in an external enclosure, then swapping it out with the boot drive in the laptop to make sure the restored image is good (I keep three boot drives in rotation). The entire process takes no more than a whopping 10 minutes. So far, I've yet to have an image fail to restore. I've already made today's image, "restored" it to one of the spare boot drives, then swapped out the boot drives.
I should have mentioned that, first thing in the morning, I turn on the laptop, go "take care of business" while it's booting, then login when I get back to my desk.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:44 am
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:00 am I'm also on a laptop so it's been shut down overnight. When I first boot up, I just drag my calendar a whopping 3/16" to the upper right hand corner and check it to see what I need to do that morning, if anything. Then I click on my browser which opens into my home page which is my email.

Bluetooth is already set to off (I can turn it back on via its icon in the panel). I just glance at the Update icon in the panel from time to time to see if there are any updates (I like to go ahead and run them shortly after I get them to be done with it).

Saturday mornings are an exception. I plug in my Ventoy USB flash drive, boot into it, then make an image of my boot drive with Rescuezilla. When done, I yank Ventoy and boot as usual. I takes me all of five minutes.

On the first Saturday of every other month, I also test the image I just made by "restoring" it to a spare boot drive in an external enclosure, then swapping it out with the boot drive in the laptop to make sure the restored image is good (I keep three boot drives in rotation). The entire process takes no more than a whopping 10 minutes. So far, I've yet to have an image fail to restore. I've already made today's image, "restored" it to one of the spare boot drives, then swapped out the boot drives.
I should have mentioned that, first thing in the morning, I turn on the laptop, go "take care of business" while it's booting, then login when I get back to my desk.
I have to have the "brew of life" before I can face the world (or my computer). The "pit stop" is a given. But the consumption of the mornings legally addictive stimulant is mandatory.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

MurphCID wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:56 am ...I have to have the "brew of life" before I can face the world (or my computer). The "pit stop" is a given. But the consumption of the mornings legally addictive stimulant is mandatory.
I can't have caffeine. It doesn't wake me up, keep me awake, make more alert, or give me a buzz or the jitters. It will make me need to empty my bladder even more often than I already do and, far worse, I quickly get addicted to it. When I'm addicted to it, if I don't get a fix within an hour or so of getting up in the morning and a couple more during the day, I'll get a headache that's more intense than the migraines I used to get (the only reason my migraines were worse was they came with severe nausea). Depending on how long I had been addicted, it could take two to five horribly miserable days to detoxify. Fortunately, unlike hard drugs, caffeine is one of the few addictive substances one can get completely "unaddicted" to.

Needless to say, I avoid caffeine like Covid!
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

1. ▒▒▒▒
  2. ▒▒▒▒
  3. Have another beer
  4. ▒▒▒▒
  5. ▒▒▒▒
  6. ▒▒▒▒
  7. Cheer
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Portreve wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:49 pm
  1. ▒▒▒▒
  2. ▒▒▒▒
  3. Have another beer
  4. ▒▒▒▒
  5. ▒▒▒▒
  6. ▒▒▒▒
  7. Cheer
LOL!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:02 pm
MurphCID wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:56 am ...I have to have the "brew of life" before I can face the world (or my computer). The "pit stop" is a given. But the consumption of the mornings legally addictive stimulant is mandatory.
I can't have caffeine. It doesn't wake me up, keep me awake, make more alert, or give me a buzz or the jitters. It will make me need to empty my bladder even more often than I already do and, far worse, I quickly get addicted to it. When I'm addicted to it, if I don't get a fix within an hour or so of getting up in the morning and a couple more during the day, I'll get a headache that's more intense than the migraines I used to get (the only reason my migraines were worse was they came with severe nausea). Depending on how long I had been addicted, it could take two to five horribly miserable days to detoxify. Fortunately, unlike hard drugs, caffeine is one of the few addictive substances one can get completely "unaddicted" to.

Needless to say, I avoid caffeine like Covid!
I, too, have had caffeine addition issues with those horrible headaches, and me becoming "Mr. Cranky" for a couple of days until I detoxed. I must have the brew of life first thing in the morning to get me moving.
ne0h

Post by ne0h »

i check updates- this is the first thing!
Aztaroth
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Aztaroth »

ne0h wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:42 am i check updates- this is the first thing!
Not the most time-consuming job with LMDE4 :D
dual boot LMDE4 (mostly) + LM19.3 Cinnamon (sometimes)
ivar
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ivar »

checking for/installing updates is usually the last thing I did _before rebooting :)
eetteri

Post by eetteri »

I open Thunderbird just in case my phone missed something or if I need a full toolset to reply, then open Firefox and check a few pages to see whether somebody has continued a discussion or sent me a private message, Guardian football pages just in case. Bluetooth off when I'm not at home. I no longer care about running apt update/upgrade or anything, the OS suggests I update often enough anyhow. And I have to run them before many terminal tasks also.

I would NEVER risk my laptop with a coffee mug, though! That's why I read my newsfeed on my phone at the breakfast table. Feed-scrolling feels much more comfortable on a phone. Not keen on reading the news on my laptop, of course I will check big events and sometimes comment if I find something interesting (or something that I'm competent at and the report is just blatantly wrong).

That's it, I guess. Time to work and if there isn't work, then preferably do something else than stare at the screen. Sometimes I end up spending loads of time fine-tuning Vivaldi as it is the heir apparent to FF if Mozilla f*s something up suddenly (they have a history of doing so). Well, to be quite honest, sometimes (often) I end up just tweaking things for hours.
fstjohn
Level 5
Level 5

Post by fstjohn »

1 - (Duh) Enter Password
2 - Check my calendar (when you're old there's always a Doctor's appt coming up)
3 - Check Email
4 - Read American Thinker
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Tomgin5 »

Check e-mail.
Go on line and check favorite blogs & news, download new books.
Usually I only wake up from standby.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Check email, then my favorite forums
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

Make Coffee
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

HaveaMint wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:03 am Make Coffee
I make tea, a 32 ounce mug, strong, really strong.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

I usually resume from a suspend, but when I do have a fresh boot, I open up Firefox, check GitHub, check YouTube, then open a terminal, check glkfu(1) for a kernel update, check APT for package updates, and then get on with whatever I'm gonna do.
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Also, I let out a good, long ████ of relief.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel

Return to “Open Chat”