The Eternal Battle Noobs vs Power Users...

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
ivar
Level 5
Level 5

Re: The Eternal Battle Noobs vs Power Users...

Post by ivar »

.. I sure feel like a total n00b every time I'm exposed for a bash script, lol :mrgreen:
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

ivar wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:42 pm .. I sure feel like a total n00b every time I'm exposed for a bash script, lol :mrgreen:
HAHA! I feel the same.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

MurphCID wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:30 am
ivar wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:42 pm .. I sure feel like a total n00b every time I'm exposed for a bash script, lol :mrgreen:
HAHA! I feel the same.
Ditto!
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I tend to look at power users/gurus with a bit of awe, because they have taken the time to really get under the hood, and learn to bend the machine to their will.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Here is an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsMBkSiso_c Starts in a little while.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

For the real studs of the Linux world, Slackware 15 is out! The Slackware guys were the 800 lb gorilla of the Linux world when I was first introduced to Linux in the late 1990's. If you could load, configure, and run Slackware you were a Linux Master, a Guru, the top of the heap. The Red Hat and Debian guys were mere children playing compared to the Slackware guys. https://<blocked blogspam>/slackware-15-0-of ... l-5-15-lts http://www.slackware.com/
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I also look at the Windows Power users of the past, they were magicians at getting the most out of Windows, but as Microsoft locks down Windows more and more, even they are looking less powerful than in past days. The Apple power users have been crippled for over a decade. So where are the Chrome OS power users? Or is that even possibly at thing?
markz
Level 2
Level 2

Post by markz »

I am a Noob, am I welcome here :wink:
:mrgreen:

I may of joined this forum years ago, I may only know a little. My claim to fame in my mind is getting my printer to work and also changing the date and time format to a 2 liner %n, the Terminal Window still scares me.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

markz wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:18 am I am a Noob, am I welcome here :wink:
:mrgreen:

I may of joined this forum years ago, I may only know a little. My claim to fame in my mind is getting my printer to work and also changing the date and time format to a 2 liner %n, the Terminal Window still scares me.
Noobs are ALWAYS welcome here. Always. I am still a total Noob myself.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

This is a pretty good video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdr_RvmOpkQ
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

https://lambdalabs.com/deep-learning/laptops/tensorbook This is a power users dream laptop. It looks like Razer is on the move for Linux. Never heard of Lambda before, but wow it looks powerful.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Lambda is an old as Intel,
they build some High End test equipment
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

AZgl1800 wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:39 pm Lambda is an old as Intel,
they build some High End test equipment
This looks like a Linux Power User's dream machine. So if you need something like this.... Wonder if it would work well with Mint?
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

MurphCID wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:29 pm ...This looks like a Linux Power User's dream machine...
<snort> With only one drive port? :shock: Not to mention the 15.6" screen. At best, you currently would get less than 8TB storage capacity (and that would be QLC). Then there are the limited number of I/O ports. Granted, you can use hubs on the Thunderbolt ports but that eats up a lot of desk space and restricts portability.

I don't consider myself to be a power user and this wouldn't even come close to meeting my needs. This is more like a small, high powered gaming rig.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:34 pm
MurphCID wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:29 pm ...This looks like a Linux Power User's dream machine...
<snort> With only one drive port? :shock: Not to mention the 15.6" screen. At best, you currently would get less than 8TB storage capacity (and that would be QLC). Then there are the limited number of I/O ports. Granted, you can use hubs on the Thunderbolt ports but that eats up a lot of desk space and restricts portability.

I don't consider myself to be a power user and this wouldn't even come close to meeting my needs. This is more like a small, high powered gaming rig.
I think is is designed to be on a network, with network attached storage, at least that is how I read it. I think that they worked on what is more portable vs the larger screen. I think that it will fill a need for some. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMh6Dhq7P_Q https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NP5lJhSEx-o It is based on the Razer gaming unit, and if this works well, maybe we might see some Razer units for regular Linux users? I am not sure what the Lambda stack is, but it looks powerful.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

If I had the money I would buy one just to say I had it. Not that I could ever use something that powerful.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Opinion: At what point do you cross the line from Newbie to Power User? Is there are bright line or is it fuzzy?
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

MurphCID wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 8:45 am Opinion: At what point do you cross the line from Newbie to Power User? Is there are bright line or is it fuzzy?
I think there are many steps in between. Personally I went from newbie to newbie hack and kind of stuck there.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

majpooper wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 10:07 am
MurphCID wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 8:45 am Opinion: At what point do you cross the line from Newbie to Power User? Is there are bright line or is it fuzzy?
I think there are many steps in between. Personally I went from newbie to newbie hack and kind of stuck there.
Me too, I cannot even imagine myself as a power user.
iliketrains
Level 4
Level 4

Post by iliketrains »

If you could accomplish most daily tasks in runlevel 3 you're a command line commando.
If you have to google "runlevel 3" you're a newbie.
If your bash history frequently includes the sed command you're a freak. /joking, we depend on folks like that.

Return to “Open Chat”