Oldest computing device in your household?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
iliketrains
Level 4
Level 4

Oldest computing device in your household?

Post by iliketrains »

Something with computing power still used regularly. ColecoVision for retro fun? An old desktop calculator ? First gen digital camera ? Or the expected reply, no reason to keep old junk.

In my workshop there is ms-dos on a pentium mmx 233 serving as a very energy inefficient tape measure. It really should be trash canned and replaced with modern digital stuff but that involves some retro-fitting. It's laziness as the power savings would pay for new technology.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vimes666
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Oldest computing device in your household?

Post by vimes666 »

My fingers.
If you think the issue is solved, edit your original post and add the word solved to the title.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

My Mom's old iBook G3 (it was mine and became hers when I upgraded).

EDIT: Well, if you're gonna qualify it that way, then technically it would be my 2020 HP Envy tower.

The iBook above is the oldest thing in the house, my 2011 MacBook Pro (which I no longer use at all and is having some problems) is the next oldest. Everything I've ever owned either before or in between has long since been sold off or put in the garbage after hardware failure.

I quite miss my old Macintosh IIci.
Last edited by Portreve on Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

iliketrains wrote: Something with computing power still used regularly.
Not used quite regularly, but a 2006 Dell Latitude D420 laptop. 12" display, about three pounds, so great when size/weight are a concern. Features a mighty 32-bit Intel Core Duo U2500 1.20GHz (220 Passmark benchmark), 2 GB DDR2 RAM, and 80 GB hard drive. Currently running LM 19.3 Xfce on the 4.15.x kernel.
iliketrains
Level 4
Level 4

Post by iliketrains »

vimes666 wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:51 pm My fingers.
You win * :)
* depending on age.
Runner-up owns an abacus?
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Both my little purse camera and my high end point and shoot camera are at least fifteen years old. The still work fine and can use AA batteries instead of proprietary ones.

All three of my Lenovo notebooks range are 10-20 years old and still work although the batteries are going.

I've got a "solar" calculator in my purse that's at least 20 years old. Still works.

I've got few dozen Eneloop AA and AAA batteries, some of which go back to 2009. I've yet to have one fail on me.

As long as something keeps meeting my needs, I'll keep using it until it no longer does or it dies.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

I still have the first calculator I ever owned from 1974 when pocket calculators were new on the market. It is a Triton 1200, it's British made, and cost me £17 (about 10 days wages) as a half price introductory offer from New Scientist magazine. I must find a PP9 battery to test it.

http://www.vintagebritishcalculators.in ... .html#1200
Cliff Coggin
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

I have an old Canon calculator from '89 or '90.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

cliffcoggin wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:05 pm I still have the first calculator I ever owned from 1974 when pocket calculators were new on the market. It is a Triton 1200, it's British made, and cost me £17 (about 10 days wages) as a half price introductory offer from New Scientist magazine. I must find a PP9 battery to test it.

Pocket calculators go back further than that. My Daddy worked for Motorola and he got his hands on an early Motorola pocket calculator to give me back in the mid '60s. It died after a few years.

In other news (news?), I still have my old Commodore C64c but the PSU is dead.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Tomgin5 »

I still [*]have a functional commodore 64 and a Xerox Star that still worked last year. I have not fired it up this year. :D :mrgreen:
Night Wing
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Night Wing »

The desktop tower computer I'm typing this message on. Bought it back in June of 2010 and it came loaded with 64 bit Windows 7 Home Premium. It has an old Intel i7 processor (Sandy Bridge) in it with a processor speed of 2.80, an AMD Radeon 6450 graphics card, 16 GB of memory, 2 DVD drives and 2, 3.5" hard drives (7200 rpm).

Runs Linux Mint 20.2 (Uma) Xfce fast. Just waiting on, as of this post, Linux Mint 20.3 (Una) Xfce when it is publicly released since I do fresh installs. I don't do BETA's.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

My HP10C calculator. I did replace it with an HP15C years later. I can't use ordinary calculators, reverse polish is now hardwired in my brain.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
sideband
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sideband »

CASIO FX-880P Handheld Personal Computer - runs BASIC - purchased 1991

Hewlett Packard 31E Scientific Calculator - Reverse Polish - purchased in 1975, still used regularly
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

I used to hold on to a lot of old computers, but I stopped doing that years ago; it took up too much room, and I eventually just stopped doing anything with them. I lost interest in computer hardware and gained a lot of interest in the software side of things. I think the oldest computer I have in the house is a Windows 7-era computer.
iliketrains wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:30 pm In my workshop there is ms-dos on a pentium mmx 233
I had one of those! Very fond memories. A PII 233MHz, 4GP AGP Radeon GPU, 32MB RAM, and 2GB IDE HDD. Those old IDE ribbons were horrible, and the power leads were even worse. Ever noticed how dangerous those old computer cases could be? I remember cutting myself on those things. They were horrible. Now, everything's sooo much easier. I remember overclocking the CPU (same computer, actually) by adjusting jumpers on the board. :roll: I put that machine up to 266MHz, I think. Fried the CPU and even motherboard, eventually. Learned plenty, though. :lol:

Thanks for taking me down Memory Lane.
Nice. :lol:
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

What about navigation equipment? I have a vernier (not micrometer) sextant and here in front of me a Dennison compass, 1918. The batteries are flat on both. Ooops, they don't use batteries. Oh well...
OK, electrical, the radio in here is transistor and probably germanium, there's 60 years old at least. Calculators, oldest only about 20 years old Casio fx-100D.

Computer, laptop? Toshiba T1960CT/200 about 1990. I took it to the Shed recently to see if a power supply would fit. You need to boot it with a floppy to get it to work.
DisturbedDragon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by DisturbedDragon »

Tons of old parts, but oldest functioning and still in use computing device would have to be my Samsung NP-Q1. 900Mhz of Celeron processing power :lol: !! Currently running Lithium (bunsenlabs).
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16C/32T | MSI MPG x570 Gaming Plus | 2TB Mushkin Pilot-E NVMe | 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe | 2x 2TB Inland Gen4 NVMe | 32GB Trident Z DDR4 3600 | Nvidia RTX4090 | Fedora 39 Cinnamon | Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon | Kernel 5.15.x lowlatency
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

How about a Kyocera Palm Pilot phone, from 1999?

It still works as a phone, and certainly works as a Palm Pilot.

BTW, I still have a Timex Sinclair, and it still works.

SLOW, but it still works.

Beats the heck out of "Made In China" stuff...
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

Tomgin5 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:27 am I still [*]have a functional commodore 64 and a Xerox Star that still worked last year. I have not fired it up this year. :D :mrgreen:
Wow!

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

cliffcoggin wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:05 pm I still have the first calculator I ever owned from 1974 when pocket calculators were new on the market. It is a Triton 1200, it's British made, and cost me £17 (about 10 days wages) as a half price introductory offer from New Scientist magazine. I must find a PP9 battery to test it.

Bowmar "Brain"?

Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

<SNERK!>

Best post yet!

Return to “Open Chat”