Studying for Linux+ when suddenly...

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Studying for Linux+ when suddenly...

Post by Portreve »

I have a question, and goodness knows I'll have more:

Can anyone explain what exactly is with this obsession with vi? I've gone through the chapter on text editors, and I'm left wondering why I'd even want to use it when I can just use nano instead.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
vimes666
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Studying for Linux+ when suddenly...

Post by vimes666 »

This article will help understanding: https://hackernoon.com/why-vim-8m1r3z1k
Some years ago I wasted a few hours of my life on it. If you can't type with more than 2 fingers, do not bother trying it.
If you think the issue is solved, edit your original post and add the word solved to the title.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

Portreve wrote:... I'm left wondering why I'd even want to use it when I can just use nano instead.
vi/vim certainly isn't for everyone. It has a steep learning curve, but the payoffs can be impressive once mastered.

I used to work with a vi/vim expert (or so I'd call him). He could edit files so quickly that when I watched him, I couldn't understand what was happening, not only from the arcane minimal keystrokes, but from the pure speed of the undertaking. I know I would be challenged to beat him with any text editor that I knew of.

That said, despite witnessing such amazing feats, I still use nano for my command line editing. Text editors are a personal preference. If something works well for you, then you've made the right choice.
thursty
Level 1
Level 1

Post by thursty »

I have never had a touch typing class and so will likely never be a whiz-bang on a keyboard.

My editing in Nano is very simple.

It occurs to me that if I learn to do just enough Vim to do the exact same thing that I might do in Nano, then I will gain familiarity with the environment and be in an excellent position to add skills as I feel the need. Plus, from what I read, Vim logic is available in a variety of programs and activity.

I read of folks doing using Vim and SSH to do remote editing. I have several laptops hooked up to Ethernet... I should learn to do that!

:wink:

Return to “Open Chat”