Adios my friend

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Adios my friend

Post by MurphCID »

My brother in law Jose Manuel is on the long slide. He has mere days if not just hours left, brain cancer having fought him to a stand still. I write this not for sympathy but to memorialize a man who was a good man, a kind man, and one I am proud to know. My brother in law is the oldest of the kids, and for his whole life was fiercely protective of his siblings and their children. Unmarried and childless himself, he threw himself into his family's lives and was always there when you needed someone.

Jose Manuel was one of those people that if he did not have bad luck, he just would not have any luck at all. Life seemed like it was determined to kick him in the face almost every day. Not through anything he did, but just because that was his karma/luck/life. Throughout though I never saw him get down, whine about how unfair things were, or anything like that. He worked for the city of San Antonio till he retired, and after that every business he tried to start failed, not through lack of hard work, or dedication, but just with bad luck.

He had a girlfriend he loved, and wanted to marry, but we discovered that she was sucking him dry of every penny he had. When he gave his heart he did it without reservation, and she took advantage of him. It took him over a decade to dig out of that hole, and during that time he never said a bad word about her, and refused to try and get even. He chalked it up to life. Jose Manuel was one of those men who might not have a great deal but he was always willing to share what little he had with anyone in need. He always said that there were those who needed his help, so he might go hungry if he could give to those who needed it.

Over the years we helped him with things, I gave him a laptop that the girls had outgrown after I had upgraded it as best I could with an SSD, and more ram, and he used that laptop till very recently when he just was unable to use it. He took care of his parents when they were ill, and he was so sick himself that he could barely walk. He never asked for anything, and he accepted any gift with a smile, and a childlike sense of wonder. HE loved his rice, beans, tortillas and was not going to change.

He is one of those people that I, personally, feel blessed to know, and his only 65 years old. He is just one of those people who when you compare your life to his, you feel that you CAN do better, you can live by his example. When we were in need of babysitters he was one of the first to step up along with my mother in law. The girls love Uncle Jose or "Meme" as he was called by the family. My youngest called me yesterday crying inconsolably after my wife send her the text that it was days if not hours. My oldest was less demonstrative, but she just clung to me, and needed me to tell her that Uncle Jose was going to someplace better. My wife has been with him every day recently despite having just recovered herself from COVID. The rest of the family has been taking turns with him to make him comfortable, and to let him know how much we love him.

I spoke to him on the phone last night even though he was not awake to let him know I loved him, and that it was ok, he could rest now. As I said at the beginning, this is not for sympathy, but so that a truly remarkable, caring, decent man is not forgotten.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rumpus
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Adios my friend

Post by rumpus »

How lucky you are to have known such a man and how lucky he is to have such a friend.
Not many are blessed with such a friendship.

I offer you my sympathy and admiration....r
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Murphcid, you have written a very touching and sincere article about your friend and relative. The way he lived his life, I am sure that he didn't have any regrets in his last living and conscious moments.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

I'm so sorry for your friend and your impending loss. Cancer is a horrible disease; brain cancer even more so. I lost an aunt to a brain tumor; she was 64. Mt ex-girlfriend, the only woman I ever truly loved, passed away a year ago from, last August glioblastoma, the same monster that took Senator McCain; she was only 55. The worst part of old age is outliving too many dear ones.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Well at 1:45 last night my brother-in-law stepped off of the final journey. My wife was devastated, and I am saddened by his loss. But like I told her he is sitting down up there with a big plate of barbecue, rice, beans, tortillas, and a glass of cold beer kickedback in a beach chair watching the waves come in.
Last edited by MurphCID on Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:43 am, edited 4 times in total.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Goodbye to your friend, but he is out of pain now, and living amongst better friends.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

MurphCID wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:37 am Well at 1:45 last night my brother-in-law stepped off of the final journey. My wife was devastated, and I am saddened by his loss. But like I told her he is sitting down up there with a big plate of barbecue, rice, beans, tortillas, and a glass of cold beer kickback and a beach chair watching the waves come in.
touching--you lost not a brother-in-law, but a brother indeed
So hard
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

MurphCID wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:57 am My brother in law Jose Manuel is on the long slide. He has mere days if not just hours left, brain cancer having fought him to a stand still. I write this not for sympathy but to memorialize a man who was a good man, a kind man, and one I am proud to know. My brother in law is the oldest of the kids, and for his whole life was fiercely protective of his siblings and their children. Unmarried and childless himself, he threw himself into his family's lives and was always there when you needed someone.
MurphCID wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:37 am Well at 1:45 last night my brother-in-law stepped off of the final journey. My wife was devastated, and I am saddened by his loss. But like I told her he is sitting down up there with a big plate of barbecue, rice, beans, tortillas, and a glass of cold beer kickedback in a beach chair watching the waves come in.
I waited for events to complete themselves before responding.

I just wanted to say you are a fantastic brother-in-law to José, and you gave him the best, most appropriate memorialization considering what kind of man he was.

And even though you aren't requesting it, please accept my sympathies in this time of loss for you and your wife.

Please be well, the both of you, and remember him always for the wonderful qualities he possessed.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Thank you all.

Return to “Open Chat”