[Solved] "Thumb-up" and "Thanks" Nowhere to be seen.

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Sinnis250
Level 3
Level 3

[Solved] "Thumb-up" and "Thanks" Nowhere to be seen.

Post by Sinnis250 »

For quite some time I have been reading the Linux Mint forum and its many threads and find it very informative, interesting and sometimes very amusing. But, it seems to me that there is one huge thing lacking and that is the opportunity to give a person the "Thumbs-up" or a simple "Thanks" for their comment's.

The addition of this action could only be of benefit to the site and its members, so how about it?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Re: "Thumb-up" and "Thanks" Nowhere to be seen.

Post by AZgl1800 »

that has been talked about before, it is not supported by php software, at least the verions in use here.

Xenforo software does support that feature, with a nice bit of icons to show what you mean.

Xenforo icons2.png
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

We use our words here, and it works just as well. And we can still use symbols if we prefer that. 😄👍
Frankly a 'thank you' in friendly words, personally chosen by a human being, means more to me than a click on a thumbs-up button.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

I think it is a bad idea. They can write thank you in a comment if they care.
-=t42=-
ivar
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ivar »

Moem wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:33 pm We use our words here, and it works just as well. And we can still use symbols if we prefer that. 😄👍
Frankly a 'thank you' in friendly words, personally chosen by a human being, means more to me than a click on a thumbs-up button.
thumbsup! :D
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

By all means, as Moem suggests, do a thanks in your support topics to the people that helped you solve it. But please don't go posting "thanks" in random topics of other members. There is a general Thank you to those supporting others here! topic for thanking members you think deserve an extra spotlight.
Sinnis250
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Sinnis250 »

Moem wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:33 pm We use our words here, and it works just as well. And we can still use symbols if we prefer that. 😄👍
Yes, I must admit, I fully agree with you. 👍️
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Who said that you could not insert a thumb up or a thumb down into your post?
I can do so, I mean, inserting a thumb down or a thumb up into my posts, provided I wish to do so.
Yet, I try to use them sparingly.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

xenopeek wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:55 pm By all means, as Moem suggests, do a thanks in your support topics to the people that helped you solve it. But please don't go posting "thanks" in random topics of other members. There is a general Thank you to those supporting others here! topic for thanking members you think deserve an extra spotlight.
Yep--thumbs up for Fred's post.
Thumbs down for like/dislike on the forum.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Joss
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Joss »

Moem wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:33 pm We use our words here, and it works just as well.
It works better.
"An image's worth a thousand words"
"Try to say that without words"
Kendoori
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Kendoori »

My 2 cents, I love these forums as the quality of help and engagement is great, as is the general civility of the discussions. IMHO the framework and approach to the implementation of phpBB is super dated. And yes, I expect a chorus of naysayers on that.

I personally wish that the software for running the forums was brought up to date feature-wise, including the ability to visually like or thank a post, also a way to easily mark a post as solved by the author. While I realize there are workarounds for this, it would not dilute or change the spirit of the community to add these things in so that were properly integrated into the interface.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Kendoori wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:01 pm a way to easily mark a post as solved by the author
Most will still need prompting to "click the <SOLVED> button" :roll:
Same said for other forum formats
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Sinnis250 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:21 pm For quite some time I have been reading the Linux Mint forum and its many threads and find it very informative, interesting and sometimes very amusing. But, it seems to me that there is one huge thing lacking and that is the opportunity to give a person the "Thumbs-up" or a simple "Thanks" for their comment's.

The addition of this action could only be of benefit to the site and its members, so how about it?
Contrarily--thanks and appreciation is everywhere on the forum--did you even look?
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Portreve

xenopeek wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:55 pm By all means, as Moem suggests, do a thanks in your support topics to the people that helped you solve it. But please don't go posting "thanks" in random topics of other members. There is a general Thank you to those supporting others here! topic for thanking members you think deserve an extra spotlight.
thanks

karlchen wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:08 pm Who said that you could not insert a thumb up or a thumb down into your post?
I can do so, I mean, inserting a thumb down or a thumb up into my posts, provided I wish to do so.
Yet, I try to use them sparingly.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel

Return to “Open Chat”