the "new" Verizon hates their customers

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

the "new" Verizon hates their customers

Post by AZgl1800 »

being of a tender age now, Verizon informed me that I could convert from my grandfathered Family Data Sharing Plan, to a new Unlimited DATA plan for each Smartphone.

Woopee!!! duh, now that I have it, they will NOT allow a Hotspot to a PC,
and they will NOT allow TV Casting,
both are blocked, Rock Solid, in Granite.

I have tried every app on the PlayStore for Android and none of them work anymore.

Just now, I needed to download several ISO files, the typical size is 3.6gB and since my T-Mobile wireless plan is limited to 100gB/month on the hotspot, and I don't have enough gigs left to do that,

I followed the links to the ISO, copied the URL,
emailed that to myself,
opened the phone, followed the link and downloaded the ISO to the phone.

Now, I have to make sure the PC and the phone are using the same exact WiFi signal, none of that cross router stuff allowed :twisted: :twisted:

on the phone, I open up an app called " Sweech " which gives me a URL for the PC to login to.
http://192.168.1.14:4444/fs/internal/Download

then, I get a picture of the folders on the PC

Sweech.png

click on the Icon to the left of the filename, then click on the download symbol at the top of the page,
and wait wait wait, for the transfer.... but, at least it is 5 times faster than the original download from Verizon.

what a PITA.

I am sorely tempted to dump Verizon altogether and go with someone else.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Re: the "new" Verizon hates their customers

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Verizon's customer service has been pretty bad in the past but it has become even more abysmal recently. They discontinued my old pay as you go talk and text only plan recently and trying to get clarification of their conflicting information on the plan that replaced it was a nightmare that never got resolved, even after filing a BBB complaint against them. They can't even agree on what website URL I'm supposed to use. Even their "experts" don't know their backsides from a hole in the ground. I would call them idiots but I don't wish to compliment them since they make idiots look brilliant.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Even though this response is really only functionally useful to people in the U.S., I'm going to give some background so that my fellow non-American LMF users can follow along with this discussion if they like, and also so they might be better informed about how to handle their own smartphone needs when traveling here.

Hintergrund / Background:

There are two kinds of cellular networks: CDMA and GSM. Originally developed in Russia, CDMA was designed to have a relatively sparse cellular tower network and have coverage over longer distances. GSM was developed in Europe and had the in-built expectation of having a fairly high density of cell towers. Nearly the entire world solely uses GSM, except for the U.S., which implemented and continues to use both. What has happened over about the last 15 years is that GSM is slowly winning out over CDMA because of all the cell company mergers. Classically, Sprint, MetroPCS, Verizon, and some other small fry were/are CDMA carriers, and T-Mobile, AT&T, and others were GSM. Now that most of those have been folded into just a couple businesses, pretty much now the three major cell networks across the U.S. are AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon.

From the perspective of an individual wanting to get cell service, there are quite a number of choices. That said, there are basically two kinds of service providers you can pick from: actual carriers themselves (again, mostly AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon) and Mobile Virtual Network Operators, or MVNOs. MVNOs, for those who are unfamiliar, are third party resellers of cell service. There is quite a long list, but include Cricket, Straight Talk, Ting, Mint Mobile, Tracfone, and Consumer Cellular.

In general, you don't need to have a credit check done, nor do you have to even have permanent U.S. residency to get service. This is particularly true with MVNOs and real carriers with pre-paid service, such as AT&T.

Ok, so what about me? What have my experiences been? Who would I recommend?

I've been a customer of Sprint and really used to like them and their service. However, they ate me out of house and home, so I walked away from them somewhere around 2012. I've briefly been a T-Mobile customer. I was an AT&T customer for a year, and presently I'm a Ting Mobile customer.

Customer Service-wise, I've been the most happy with Ting, which is also my present provider, out of everyone mentioned above. They use two different carriers' networks — T-Mobile (for phones capable of GSM) and Verizon (for phones only capable of CDMA) — and for $35 a month I get 12GB of 5G data, and unlimited talk and text.

I had Straight Talk for several years. Initially I used them on T-Mobile's network, but ultimately switched to the AT&T network for better coverage. They kept upping their monthly data allotment, so ultimately it was 25GB a month of high-speed (non-5G) data for $45. I decided I wanted to try something different, so for a year I went with AT&T as a pre-paid customer and had the 6 month version of their pre-paid 8GB month plan.

My complaints with Sprint were twofold: cost, and coverage. To be honest, it could be pretty spotty at times. Also, when the rest of the industry went with LTE, they backed WIMAX, and that choice plus how they decided to handle things just about cost them their very existence. At this point, they don't really exist any more because T-Mobile bought them up.

When I was briefly a T-Mobile customer (about a year) the only issues I ever had were coverage. Honestly, it wasn't as good as AT&T.

Between 2014 when I left them for Straight Talk and Q2 of 2021 when I went back to their network as a Ting customer, a LOT of things have changed, chief among them is coverage. It's arguable if it's as good as AT&T, but it's insanely better than it was.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

Portreve wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:01 pm There are two kinds of cellular networks: CDMA and GSM. Originally developed in Russia, CDMA was designed to have a relatively sparse cellular tower network and have coverage over longer distances. GSM was developed in Europe and had the in-built expectation of having a fairly high density of cell towers. Nearly the entire world solely uses GSM, except for the U.S., which implemented and continues to use both. What has happened over about the last 15 years is that GSM is slowly winning out over CDMA because of all the cell company mergers. Classically, Sprint, MetroPCS, Verizon, and some other small fry were/are CDMA carriers, and T-Mobile, AT&T, and others were GSM. Now that most of those have been folded into just a couple businesses, pretty much now the three major cell networks across the U.S. are AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon.
Thank you for that Portreve. It explains much of what I have been reading elsewhere on a particular phone forum.
Cliff Coggin
GELvdH
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GELvdH »

Being at the silver haired stage of life I am trying to save $$$ on everything I can, that includes cellphone service. We (mine bride of 60 years and I) switched to Consumer Cellular a few years ago and have not looked back. They connect through the AT&T network so wherever that is you will get a decent signal. Their prices are certainly good and I have not had any problem with their service.
By the way Portreve that was an excellent explanation of the network differences.
DisturbedDragon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by DisturbedDragon »

Been with Verizon more than 20 years, have a current unlimited family plan with 6 devices. All phones tether wired and wireless. Customer service, the solid three times I've had to call, has always been great.
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16C/32T | MSI MPG x570 Gaming Plus | 2TB Mushkin Pilot-E NVMe | 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe | 2x 2TB Inland Gen4 NVMe | 32GB Trident Z DDR4 3600 | Nvidia RTX4090 | Fedora 39 Cinnamon | Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon | Kernel 5.15.x lowlatency
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Of "the big three" networks, it's very difficult to say who has the best service. The best thing to say is "it depends" and to be honest that really doesn't help very much.

It also becomes even more confusing when you stop to consider Verizon has a bunch of GSM service these days, and so unless you really know which network type your phone is using, you're not actually in a position to tell someone else whether your coverage (good or bad) is what they might encounter.

I don't know that I have much more to add at this point for the benefit of my fellow American LMFers, so I'll just address my remaining comments to those who might come here on holiday from Europe or Asia.

If you're going to be here for just a few days, it's probably not worth your time driving all over looking for SIM cards to use. Bear in mind that it would absolutely disrupt your ability to use your own phone number, and so if people from home want to contact you, it could be a hassle. On the other hand, if you plan to stay in the U.S. for at least a few months, then you should definitely explore your U.S. domestic carrier options.

Just like you probably would see in your own home country, there are places here which sell a number of SIM card kits from the different providers. Some petrol stations sell them, as does Walmart and Target. You'll also see Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, Cricket, and some other stores if you're driving around in most places.

As I understand from my friends who all are German citizens, WhatsApp (and other things if you're in various Asian countries) are actually much more popular to use than, for example, a standard SMS app, or even Apple's iMessage. So, if you intend to use it for voice and/or video calls, you should really find a plan with a fair amount of data (even unlimited, which is pretty common) and this way you don't have to worry about having WiFi.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

Straight Talk, Ting, Mint Mobile, Tracfone, and Consumer Cellular.
I just did a search to see if any of those options would provide me with Unlimited Data AND a Hotspot to a PC.

on average, the upper limit is 25gB/month which is not acceptable for me, so I will stay with what I have, at least the Cellphone itself has Unlimited DATA/month.... no doubt they will try to throttle it down if I exceed some magic number

My sister is on Consumer Cellular and absolutely loves it, she lives 15 miles south of Price, Utah and coverage there is really bad, hilly mountainous country..... she found that AT&T gave the best overall coverage for her

but, she could not afford their rates, hence Consumer Cellular's Senior Plan for $25/month and a bit of DATA.

back around 25 to 30 years ago, I worked in Maricopa County, Arizona.. Mostly in Mesa and Phoenix.
back then, the wireless carriers were pretty bad and thinly populated with towers.

my offices were always inside a metal Quonset hut, or huge metal warehouses ( Computer IT Techs get the worst offices, period )

IIRC, South Western Bell was one carrier, bad coverage inside metal buildings.
and a host of other carriers that have since died or been swallowed up.

CDMA was the only modulation technology that could survive and squeak inside metal buildings more than 10 feet away from a Window. CDMA with Verizon let me wander anywhere inside that complex, the building occupied a whole city block...

for the most part, this thread is a RANT, but it does serve a bit of a purpose, if it has informed some folks about the wireless carrier industry in the USA...

I will stay where I am with VZW, at least I can run thru the hoops and download big files, and finagle them over to my PCs as indicated above.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

I'm on Verizon, have been for maybe 25 years, and don't plan to switch any time soon. When I owned an electronics service company, I had a guy who did home service calls for me. Since Eastern Washington is a relatively sparsely populated area and there weren't a lot of service shops, we did service calls up to 150 miles from the shop. That includes a lot of little wide-spot-in-the-road towns, and a lot of miles between them. Verizon was the only carrier that even came close to filling our needs. More recently, my brother does a lot of hiking and camping, and is also on the Mountain Rescue Team, so he is in out of the way places all the time. He says that when you're "out there" somewhere, if any network is going to work, it's Verizon. I have always been satisfied with Verizon's customer service, and I recently got a notice from Verizon that, since I've been a good customer for a very long time, they are giving me a bonus 999 GB of data every month, on top of the 2 GB I pay for. That may not be unlimited, but it's sure close enough for me. My only quibble with Verizon is that when I was in the Verizon store buying a new phone,the salesperson told me that I really should spend the extra money on the wireless charging system to go with it, because the wired chargers can overcharge your phone and ruin the battery. But, he said, the wireless chargers won't do that. Of course he is totally full of BS. Lithium batteries are picky about how they are charged, so every lithium battery made in the last 30 years or so comes with a charge management chip built into it (or into the device the battery is built into). If wired chargers were destroying battery packs, they would have an enormous class action lawsuit on their hands. I told him that and he insisted that it was true. I guess that's their way of selling more accessories to the uninformed. Other than that, I'm happy with them.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

jimallyn
Like you, I have always been able to get good results when talking with Verizon Customer Service.

It is their "new plan" that I have now, that has me upset, and the only reason is the same one that they have used since the beginning, they have a rebar stuck up their backside, and simply refuse to allow a Hotspot to give DATA to a PC, without an extra charge on top of the normal billing.

I have argued with their Supervisors, that DATA is DATA, regardless of how it is used at the end of the line.
The phone is just a Modem, but they will not accept that, they want to charge an insane amount for DATA on the MiFi modems... I have one, but turned it is OFF, simply because it was useless, could not afford to have more than 2gB/month on the thing.

plus, they charge $10/month just to have it activated.

I totally agree with you about Coverage:
there is simply no other wireless carrier that can come close to them, at least as of last year.

I hear that AT&T is trying to catch up, and they generally do pretty good. a friend of mine is an OTR truck driver, and he covers all of the USA, there are dead spots for him, and I have had some dead spots on VZW.

you can't beat the Law of Physics, ( line of sight ) tough to push a signal through a mountain of dirt.

last August, I drove from Tulsa, Oklahoma to Atlanta, Georgia and carried my T-Mobile hotspot with me....
Even then, TM had almost solid coverage along the main highways.

get off the beaten path though, and they suffered badly last August.... but they are building new towers fast.

Here at my home, when I signed onto T-Mobile with a hotspot, the best signal I could get was LTE and about 5Mbps down, and 1Mbps up.

Today, the tower is using band n41 and speeds up to 150Mbps are available during the quiet hours.
In the evening in Prime Time, I am still able to get 25-30 Mbps down.... that is a big improvement.

But, their hotspots are limited to 100gB/month.... that I can't understand, when for the same $50 they will give you a Modem that is Geo Locked to your home address and let you have Unlimited DATA per month....

I doubt that I ever leave Verizon, I am able to usually get what I want, when talking to Customer Service, when they look at my records and note that I have ~25 years of uninterrupted service with them.

I think that I will keep trying to get Screen Mirroring working from the phone, it would be nice to just plug into the HDMI port on the laptop and use that screen and not buy a dedicated screen for the phone.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

I don't know how on Earth you all are getting good customer service from Verizon. I never got any consistent, accurate answers from those bozos after they changed my plan a while back! Maybe it's because I use a pay as you go plan on a dumb as rocks flip phone (aka not a "smart" phone).

Shortly before I got the phone a few years ago, I went to the nearby Verizon store and the *&^%$#@! salesperson wasted 30 minutes of my time trying to convince me I needed a smart phone before he finally admitted they didn't support the flip phone and pay as you go plan I wanted and I would have to go to Walmart to get it. I was so furious by then I waited a couple of months before going to Walmart to get the darned thing.

The only reason I still put up with Verizon's B.S. and piddle poor customer service is their coverage. I need a cell phone to use for emergency calls when away from home (pretty much all the time the phone remains turned off on my dresser or in my pocket to avoid interrupting my life--I don't want or need to be connected 24/7-- and to preserve battery life and charge; I also have texting and voice mail disabled to avoid having telescammers running up my phone bill). There have been times I've been in places where Verizon was the only carrier that had any coverage (Southwest Wyoming is one that comes to mind).

A smart phone would be nice but, being on a so-called fixed income, I don't need the expense of buying one nor do I need the monthly expense for a data plan of some sort. I also resent companies try to ram them down my throat by requiring me to have one to use their products or services. I recently had PayPal close account because they began demanding my cell phone number so they could text me as part of their two factor authentication. I'm paying for the use of my cell phone and they (and many other companies) feel they have the right to demand to use it? "Forget" them!

Prior to getting the Verizon phone, I was using Virgin Mobile. They used the old Sprint network and their coverage was horrible when out of town so I ditched them for Verizon. At home, I used to get 2-3 bars from Verizon inside my Faraday Cage (aka my aluminum sided and roofed mobile home); now, I'm lucky to get 1-2 bars and that's when I'm by a window.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

guess I have learned how to work with "Customer Service People" every where, I stay with them pushing them to get me a Supervisor, and in a couple of cases I pushed it all the way up to a Manager...
But, in the end, I get what I want usually.

Both with Verizon and T-Mobile..... oh, the same method works with DTV and DISH, tell them you are a gone gone gosling and you get what you want.

Verizon is very good about giving a refund/bonus when you are unhappy, have received several of those in differing amounts. $25 a time or two, and once, a full month of service advanced, and twice for replacing my Network Extender when they discontinued the technology that supported the one I had.
oh, also got a Free MiFi when they discontinued the 3g LTE stuff and mine quit working.... it was over 12 years old, but did the job..... when I quit, I called up and explained what happened, that time it had to go get a Manager's Approval and it was replaced Free of Charge.

I have always been Post Paid with Automatic Billing direct from the bank account.... I hate to have to watch Billings and get charged for insufficient funds, etc.

and, I cannot do w/o a smart Phone, no way jose....
I have well over a dozen Utilities that I use on it almost daily, " Evernote " being the most used of them all.

Well, the Weather utilities probably get the most use,
  • MyRadar
    WxChannel
    Wx Underground
    Wx Bug
Why so many? each presents things in a different manner, and living in Tornado Alley, it is essential to stay on top of things in certain weeks of the year.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:33 am
A smart phone would be nice but, being on a so-called fixed income, I don't need the expense of buying one nor do I need the monthly expense for a data plan of some sort.

Prior to getting the Verizon phone, I was using Virgin Mobile. They used the old Sprint network and their coverage was horrible when out of town so I ditched them for Verizon. At home, I used to get 2-3 bars from Verizon inside my Faraday Cage (aka my aluminum sided and roofed mobile home); now, I'm lucky to get 1-2 bars and that's when I'm by a window.
I never buy from VZW when I need a 'newer' phone. I make them last for 4 years or more.

always go to www.Swappa.com and pick up one there at a 75% discount from new prices. that is my upper limit.

5 years ago, I had to replace a Note4 because I left it on a truck dash in full sun.... why? it had been raining for 6+ hours and I was using it for a GPS.....

then the clouds disappeared and I thought about the phone way too late, it was HOT HOT, and refused to power up again. darn good thing, I always take along the old phones on trips.... at least then, I can pull the SIM and put it in the old phone until I get a replacement....

I use NOVA Launcher which can make Backs ups of your Home Pages, Google happily restores the Apps that are lost, and Nova's Backup can restore the Home Pages like a charm.

Return to “Open Chat”