Mint and Laptops

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.

Laptops with Linux

Poll ended at Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:57 am

Hewlett Packard
17%
Dell
16%
Lenovo
25%
Asus
13%
Acer
9%
Samsung
3%
System 76
5%
Toshiba
10%
Tuxedo
3%
Slimbook
No votes

Total votes: 77

Marie SWE
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Mint and Laptops

Post by Marie SWE »

MurphCID wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 7:05 pm
Marie SWE wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 4:39 pm I use two Asus and one Acer laptops at the moment.
My oldest Asus i3 3rd gen dualboot win7+LMDE3 (rarely used but works perfectly)
Middle one Acer i5 5th gen dualboot Debian+Kali
My newest Asus i7 6th gen dualboot Debian+win8.1
All of them works perfectly with linux... and I wont replace them until they brakes beyond repair or get to slow for what i uses computers for.
Footnote:(win only to handle rare MS-excel documents)
What is Kali like? I know it is a Debian spin.
I don't know how to answer... it's linux :D
I only use it to develop my knowledge for pentesting as I have plans for a career change to IT-security... as it starts to become more common with win10 within my work.. that's why dualboot it with Debian.
Have I ever mention that I really hate win10+11. :lol: :lol: :lol:
if you want my attention...quote me so I get a notification
Nothing is impossible, the impossible just takes a little longer to solve..
It is like it is.. because you do as you do.. if you hadn't done it as you did.. it wouldn't have become as it is. ;)
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

Marie SWE wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 7:16 pm Have I ever mentioned that I really hate win10+11. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yesterday, proofreading with the author and he had his laptop with Win10. OK, just right click on "it" and it should... Oh, it doesn't ! OK, do a dozen clicks all over the place and you will get what I do with one click on Linux. Just about impossible to make things more difficult than using Windows.
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

Mathematical proof that Windows is bad:
Win 10. XP + 10 really bad design mistakes.
Win 11. 10 + 1 mistakes.
Marie SWE
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Marie SWE »

RollyShed wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 7:43 pm
Marie SWE wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 7:16 pm Have I ever mentioned that I really hate win10+11. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yesterday, proofreading with the author and he had his laptop with Win10. OK, just right click on "it" and it should... Oh, it doesn't ! OK, do a dozen clicks all over the place and you will get what I do with one click on Linux. Just about impossible to make things more difficult than using Windows.
I do like windows.... as I wrote in MurphCID thread. Quote: "i like windows.... i just hate w10+w11 and refuses to fix them private... all up to 8.1 is okay.(win8.1 with menu mod)"
what I hate about 10+11 is that it is a rolling edition instead of previous LTS editions... almost every modification you do gets either undone when it does a roll-up or the roll-up crashes do to the mods and you need to do a system restore or in worst cases a new install.
I hate Linux rolling distros too.
It is like it is.. because you do as you do.. if you hadn't done it as you did.. it wouldn't have become as it is. ;)
Marie SWE
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Marie SWE »

Petermint wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:16 pm Mathematical proof that Windows is bad:
Win 10. XP + 10 really bad design mistakes.
Win 11. 10 + 1 mistakes.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
and two wrongs don't make it right. :P

edit:
I liked XP, you could do some nice things with it to make it really good and super stable.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Marie SWE wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 7:16 pm
MurphCID wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 7:05 pm
Marie SWE wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 4:39 pm I use two Asus and one Acer laptops at the moment.
My oldest Asus i3 3rd gen dualboot win7+LMDE3 (rarely used but works perfectly)
Middle one Acer i5 5th gen dualboot Debian+Kali
My newest Asus i7 6th gen dualboot Debian+win8.1
All of them works perfectly with linux... and I wont replace them until they brakes beyond repair or get to slow for what i uses computers for.
Footnote:(win only to handle rare MS-excel documents)
What is Kali like? I know it is a Debian spin.
I don't know how to answer... it's linux :D
I only use it to develop my knowledge for pentesting as I have plans for a career change to IT-security... as it starts to become more common with win10 within my work.. that's why dualboot it with Debian.
Have I ever mention that I really hate win10+11. :lol: :lol: :lol:
That answered my question just fine. Windows 10 is ok, somewhat, but Windows 11 is terrible. I really like Mint, it just works for me, especially since I loaded the 5.14 OEM kernel.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

majpooper wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 11:04 am
MurphCID wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 6:20 am
Moem wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 4:04 am
We can't all afford to have that preference. I can think of a lof of things that I would prefer if I had the budget. In other words, it's not just a matter of preference and while I'm sure you did not mean it that way, it feels slightly unsensitive to present it as one.
I most certainly do apologize if I came across poorly, that was certainly NOT my intent.
Apologize . . . . for what exactly. For working hard and being able to afford a 3-4 years old system that range in price from ~$200 refurbished all the way up to a few thousand. I disagree, stating that as a preference is not in the slightest insensitive. Just because someone states a preference that you may not be able to afford does not make them insensitive - it's life.
You have a point. I have scrimped and saved for each of my devices, and sometimes it took me almost a year to save up so I could purchase one of them. I have finally hit a point in my life where I can get something nice for me. I just did not want to come off as one of those snobby elitists or someone who cares not for money. I have been poor, and I know what it is like to look in the sofa cushions for coins to pay the light bill.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

With the new HP DEV ONE laptop running POP!_OS, which is the one of best Linux laptops I have owned, I wonder if the Mint team can make some sort of a deal with one of the major laptop makers to get Mint on a commercial machine? HP and Mint on the Dev One is amazing, just outstanding, which gives me hope that Linux is starting to make inroads into the popular mind. An HP or Dell laptop running Mint pre-installed is my dream,
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Nothing new? No new comments? I guess everything that could have been said has been? Wow.
Marie SWE
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Marie SWE »

MurphCID wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:17 am Nothing new? No new comments? I guess everything that could have been said has been? Wow.
just wait, a new generation of laptops is coming, so sooner or later this will be an active topic again. :mrgreen:
One thing good with this poll seems to be a tip of what to buy secondhand if you ever going to test Linux.
I am a bit surprised about the poll that Lenovo won... what is it with that laptop that is so popular?
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

I've actually got in my possession a Lenovo T14, and it's a pretty decent little laptop, as far as PC laptops go.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

Marie SWE wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:55 pm what is it with that laptop that is so popular?
ThinkPad T Series are the laptop equivalent of a Nokia 3310 phone. They are built like tanks and generally run linux better than most other laptops, there are of course other Lenovo laptop ranges that are not as well supported just like every other manufacturer out there.

A decent rule of thumb though when considering a new laptop for linux is buy one with last generation components. That way the linux developers have had a year or so to get to grips with the hardware in one or other systems on the market. The exception to that rule is obviously when HP, Dell, Lenovo launch their own laptop built for linux out of the box. They do all offer them in one form or another.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

I have not found the previous generation to be required for Intel machines. AMD, Nvidia, and Wifi chips are a problem. The Wifi problem is usually easy to bypass with USB to a phone. Nvidia you can just switch off until it works. AMD appears to be the worst problem but I avoid AMD because they are way behind on single core performance.

There are brands where it is extremely difficult to replace the battery or disk. There are brands where the keyboard is rubbish or so fragile, you have to replace it after breathing on it. Built like a tank sounds good so long as the tank is easy to upgrade. My test of reliability would be to take it scuba diving and upgrade the SSD while down there. 8)
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

Petermint wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:22 am I avoid AMD because they are way behind on single core performance.
For what task specifically? There's negligible difference between Zen 3 and Intel 11th gen for most tasks as benched with Intel Clear Linux (it's what AMD use themselves to test their processor performance). 6000 and 12th gen will be a similar story but AMD are expected to make big gains with Ryzen 7000. Both use similar chiplet architecture and by the time you have factored in all the mitigations that Intel processors require, the speed advantage swings to AMD. Also Intel 12th gen processors cannot maintain single core boost for long unless you undervolt them. They run stupidly hot so end up throttling especially in laptops far sooner than Ryzens. It's not surprising manufacturers are expanding their AMD powered laptop and desktop lineups which are also now outselling the Intel equivalents (particularly for gamers). Intel historically had a monopoly with the big OEMs through contracts which stipulated they should install Intel components only and not AMD's to get the best price per unit from Intel. The smart money is now with AMD in more ways than just what to buy as a consumer, I have some shares and they are climbing in value steadily.

There may be a niche gain in video encoding with certain Intel optimised codecs but if you have a decent GPU, then the task is offloaded to that anyway.

Also, try running 12th gen processors and Intel wireless 6 on long term support kernels. You won't fair any different, current offerings from both brands work best with HWE kernels.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

For what task specifically?
For any single threaded task. Most of the CPU intensive work on my current machine is single threaded. Almost everything to do with editing images and video. I have a server running a bunch of analysis programs that are single thread for the main CPU intensive work. They might use a separate process for the activation or display. The biggest CPU consumer part runs as a single thread because each compute requires the preceding results.

The gen 12 Intel stuff has a mix of fast and slow processors. Good utilisation of the two core types might take a while, although Android Linux already works that way.
Marie SWE
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Marie SWE »

antikythera wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:03 am
Marie SWE wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:55 pm what is it with that laptop that is so popular?
ThinkPad T Series are the laptop equivalent of a Nokia 3310 phone. They are built like tanks and generally run linux better than most other laptops, there are of course other Lenovo laptop ranges that are not as well supported just like every other manufacturer out there.

A decent rule of thumb though when considering a new laptop for linux is buy one with last generation components. That way the linux developers have had a year or so to get to grips with the hardware in one or other systems on the market. The exception to that rule is obviously when HP, Dell, Lenovo launch their own laptop built for linux out of the box. They do all offer them in one form or another.
Okay. :D
I have never own a Nokia 3310, my ex boyfriend did have one though . :D me, myself have always used Ericsson and then later SonyEricsson.

I never buy the latest and greatest.. it's just throwing the money down the drain. and with linux that is a good thing to wait for it to gain some age and prices will fall the same time.. as bleeding edge hardware and linux isn't best friends yet. :D
Marie SWE
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Marie SWE »

Intel VS AMD... on that one I say Intel.

Why?...... I have always run intel on my desktops and laptops(and servers, but AMD dosn't do servers)..
I do not know how it is nowadays,.. in the past Intel always did run a bit cooler then AMD... But the main reason I use intel is for it is more stable and reliable in the long run.... yes, AMD is more bang for the buck.. but as I don't game, i don't need the bang., I see computers as a work tool and I need it to be stable and reliable.. so I have no use for the last generation.
And the last thing, intel and Linux is working good even if it is old hardware(as Linux is bad on backward compatibility. every one with old Nvidia card know this) :P
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Marie SWE wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:55 pm ...I am a bit surprised about the poll that Lenovo won... what is it with that laptop that is so popular?
Lenovo does make good laptops and are easy to get into to replace components like drives and RAM. Their keyboards are fairly decent and hold up well over time.

However, they share the top position on my "Specialized High Intensity Training" List with other inferior laptops because Lenovo DRMs their laptops to work only with Lenovo batteries. When the last two Lenovos I have needed new batteries, Lenovo had discontinued them and, when I tried well known name brand aftermarket batteries that were supposed to be for those laptops, the notebooks (light duty laptops with 15" screens) would barf up an error message on the screen as soon as the notebook powered up saying the battery was incompatible due to being non-Lenovo and wouldn't charge (and it didn't). I even contacted Lenovo about the problem and they basically said "tough luck". That is the reason I will never buy another Lenovo product!

It's also the reason, when I bought my System 76 current daily driver, I also ordered a spare battery and PSU. It's a good thing I did, too, since System 76 discontinued it a couple of months or so after I bought it and never replaced it with one as good as the one I have.

Another reason I'm glad I bought the extra PSU is it is a brick, literally the size, shape, and weight of a building brick, and is a PITA to find a place to put it, route cables, etc. when using the laptop at my desk, then having to dig it out and put it into the laptop's carry case. I wound up keeping the spare boat anchors...er...PSU and battery in the carry case and Velcroing the other PSU to the side of the desk so it won't be the way on the top of the desk or on the floor. The cable leading from the PSU to the laptop is bundled and taped to the desk to keep it off the floor and out of the way. I coiled PSU cable (similar to the coiled handset cable on an old land line telephone) so it will stay out of the way but can stretch out when I move the nightstand that has the power strip the PSU is plugged into without having to unplug it or unwind it from the hook I had originally hung it onto.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:54 am because Lenovo DRMs their laptops to work only with Lenovo batteries.
Not the older ones, e.g. all my T430's have 3rd party batteries. When did this start, as in, in the future what to avoid?
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

AndyMH wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:31 am
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:54 am because Lenovo DRMs their laptops to work only with Lenovo batteries.
Not the older ones, e.g. all my T430's have 3rd party batteries. When did this start, as in, in the future what to avoid?
Models B50-70 and B590.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!

Return to “Open Chat”