Chat about cheese

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Excursion about cheese

Post by Termy »

I remember cooking something (noodles, I think) with blue cheese when I was a kid. My dad came home to a VERY stinky flat (apartment)! Despite that, he still loves blue cheese. :lol:
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
farkas
Level 5
Level 5

Post by farkas »

If you like blue cheese you might try one from Oregon. Best cheese in the world 2019.
Not all the great cheeses come from the east side of the pond.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/worl ... index.html
From the above link.
"Rogue River Blue has taken the top prize at the 2019 World Cheese Awards, marking the first time a US cheese has ever been named World Champion Cheese.
An organic blue cheese produced by Rogue Creamery of Central Point, Oregon, Rogue River Blue beat a record-breaking 3,804 entries from 42 countries at the awards, held this year in Bergamo, Italy, in mid-October."
Also see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_Creamery

I live just about a mile away from Rogue Creamery. There also some excellent wineries in the Rogue Valley to go with their cheeses.
If your query has been resolved, edit your first post and add [SOLVED] to the subject line.
If you found a solution on your own please post it.
A generation which ignores history has no past and no future.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

farkas wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 7:47 pm If you like blue cheese you might try one from Oregon. Best cheese in the world 2019.
Not all the great cheeses come from the east side of the pond.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/worl ... index.html
From the above link.
"Rogue River Blue has taken the top prize at the 2019 World Cheese Awards, marking the first time a US cheese has ever been named World Champion Cheese.
An organic blue cheese produced by Rogue Creamery of Central Point, Oregon, Rogue River Blue beat a record-breaking 3,804 entries from 42 countries at the awards, held this year in Bergamo, Italy, in mid-October."
Also see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_Creamery

I live just about a mile away from Rogue Creamery. There also some excellent wineries in the Rogue Valley to go with their cheeses.
I have and it is GOOD cheese. Very hard to find here except at Whole Foods and even then only sometimes.
old_noob
Level 4
Level 4

Post by old_noob »

Try Bayley Hazen Blue from Jasper Hill here in Vermont.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Dubliner Sharp cheese ( a white cheddar like cheese) from Costco, really tasty, and goes very well with a robust red wine.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

A while back I had feta on a Pizza that was actually pretty darn good. It was the Papa John's Greek Pizza, and I was impressed with how good it tasted.
space_jeff
Level 2
Level 2

Post by space_jeff »

I have simple tastes; I like marble cheddar.
Crito
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Chat about cheese

Post by Crito »

Blue cheese and feta are definitely my favorites but quality varies wildly. President brand chunk feta is fairly good though and they sell it at Walmart. Like mine with cold pressed Greek olive oil drenched all over it and oregano sprinkled on top. Some Kalamata olives and spinach pie (spanakopita) to nibble on helps too. Now I'm hungry...
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Blue cheese varies as you have stated, but a good blue, is excellent. Some Feta is just too salty for me, most is just right in small amounts.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

majpooper wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 5:21 pm Monty Python's cheese shop sketch :mrgreen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hz1JWzyvv8A

The only cheeses I like are the ones at the extreme mild end of the spectrum (mozzarella, ricotta, parmigiana). Anything else just tastes like spoiled milk to me.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

cliffcoggin wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 1:35 pm
Moem wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 1:21 pm Okay, now I really want a piece of camembert!
Surely Edam would be more patriotic?
At least someone else mentions the one, Edam, that I generally use.
If just to put a bit on a cracker, then maybe a blue cheese.
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

I like spaghetti with just olive oil and shredded Parmesan cheese.

Blue cheese fan also (but not on spaghetti!).
Using Mint as primary OS since 2006.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

kenetics wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:02 pm I like spaghetti with just olive oil and shredded Parmesan cheese.
I like that too, but with a little grated lemon zest added (and freshly ground black pepper, of course).
Night Wing
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Night Wing »

MurphCID wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:52 pm Dubliner Sharp cheese ( a white cheddar like cheese) from Costco, really tasty, and goes very well with a robust red wine.
I also like Kerrygold's "Dubliner" white irish cheese with a red wine and the red wine I like is Taylor Port. This wine has an 18% alcohol content. I buy both items at my local HEB grocery store here in Texas.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce
Maxwell-J
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Maxwell-J »

majpooper wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 5:21 pm Monty Python's cheese shop sketch :mrgreen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hz1JWzyvv8A
Blessed are the Cheese Makers ........
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

Night Wing wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:48 am also like Kerrygold's "Dubliner"
I prefer Kerrygold's Vintage Cheddar, their Mature as well
-=t42=-
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Night Wing wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:48 am
MurphCID wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:52 pm Dubliner Sharp cheese ( a white cheddar like cheese) from Costco, really tasty, and goes very well with a robust red wine.
I also like Kerrygold's "Dubliner" white irish cheese with a red wine and the red wine I like is Taylor Port. This wine has an 18% alcohol content. I buy both items at my local HEB grocery store here in Texas.
That is it! We get it at Costco when they carry it. It has become my oldest daughter and my go to cheese.
Night Wing
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Night Wing »

@ MurphCID

If you like Kerrygold's Dubliner cheese as much as I do, HEB carries it all year long. It is one of their best selling imported cheeses. HEB, at least the one I shop at, has two other Kerrygold's flavored cheeses which I can't remember the name of at this time. But the other two Kerrygold's cheeses are located right next to the Dubliner cheese.

My sister-in-law lives on the west side of San Antonio and she has a Costco membership. She told me Costco, where she sometimes shops at, sells the Kerrygold Dubliner cheese in a "two pound block". My HEB does not carry the big block of Dubliner. Just the smaller seven ounce small block.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Night Wing wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:14 pm @ MurphCID

If you like Kerrygold's Dubliner cheese as much as I do, HEB carries it all year long. It is one of their best selling imported cheeses. HEB, at least the one I shop at, has two other Kerrygold's flavored cheeses which I can't remember the name of at this time. But the other two Kerrygold's cheeses are located right next to the Dubliner cheese.

My sister-in-law lives on the west side of San Antonio and she has a Costco membership. She told me Costco, where she sometimes shops at, sells the Kerrygold Dubliner cheese in a "two pound block". My HEB does not carry the big block of Dubliner. Just the smaller seven ounce small block.
Thanks, I actually saw it in the HEB yesterday and was shocked to see it. I thought only Costco had it around here. The big block does not last extremely long at the house. My daughter loves it in bean and cheese tacos.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

My favourite go to cheese? An extra mature Cheddar. It's nice in a ploughmans lunch, a simple cheese and tomato salad or melted on toast with worcestershire sauce drizzled over.

I also like Wensleydale Creamery's Fountains Gold Cheddar with Caramelised Onions in it for a special treat.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.

Return to “Open Chat”