What ever happened to language and Grammar?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7
Location: Within 2,000 kilometres of Alice Springs, Australia

Re: What ever happened to language and Grammar?

Post by rossdv8 »

As Afrikaans is a "sister language" of Dutch, I can easily understand it. I particularly like the songs from Bok van Blerk, and this poetic song from Robbie Wessels (I don't like many of his other songs, but this is a true gem):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKP8kkwCAhQ
There's something fascinating about that song, even without understanding the words..
Current main OS: MInt 21.3 with KDE Plasma 5.27 (using Compiz as WM) - Kernel: 6.5.0-15 on Lenovo m900 Tiny, i5-6400T (intel HD 530 graphics) 16GB RAM.
Sharks usually only attack you if you are wet
Maxwell-J
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Maxwell-J »

sadly went out the window as did respect and manners
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7

Post by rossdv8 »

Less agreeable people were more likely to notice grammar errors, which the researchers mused was because these types “are less tolerant of deviations from convention.” (Or they’re just a-holes, but..
As I look into my mirror . . .
Current main OS: MInt 21.3 with KDE Plasma 5.27 (using Compiz as WM) - Kernel: 6.5.0-15 on Lenovo m900 Tiny, i5-6400T (intel HD 530 graphics) 16GB RAM.
rambo919
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rambo919 »

Pjotr wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 5:23 am As Afrikaans is a "sister language" of Dutch, I can easily understand it. I particularly like the songs from Bok van Blerk, and this poetic song from Robbie Wessels (I don't like many of his other songs, but this is a true gem):
I thought of this now. Nevermind it being an excellent song it's an example of how Afrikaans has slowly started incorporating English in common speech. I think it's more similar to the way English incorporated French than being replaced by it. The core will remain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4ftPllH2J8
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

rambo919 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 4:10 am
Pjotr wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 5:23 am As Afrikaans is a "sister language" of Dutch, I can easily understand it. I particularly like the songs from Bok van Blerk, and this poetic song from Robbie Wessels (I don't like many of his other songs, but this is a true gem):
I thought of this now. Nevermind it being an excellent song it's an example of how Afrikaans has slowly started incorporating English in common speech. I think it's more similar to the way English incorporated French than being replaced by it. The core will remain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4ftPllH2J8

I listened to that, and the ones that followed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXjaouUgZFg

to me, is a very pleasant sound that I could easily listen to in the background.
Have not a clue what they are saying, except for a few "English words" that are incorporated from time to time.

in fact, I just turned the volume down to a lower level, and just let their stuff continue to play for a while.

this one, I really enjoyed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33MknU3WsYA

LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
rambo919
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rambo919 »

AZgl1800 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:45 am to me, is a very pleasant sound that I could easily listen to in the background.
Have not a clue what they are saying, except for a few "English words" that are incorporated from time to time.

in fact, I just turned the volume down to a lower level, and just let their stuff continue to play for a while.

this one, I really enjoyed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33MknU3WsYA
I guess you could call the sound cape blues or something.... I don't think I have ever heard it anywhere else. [EDIT: as one of the albums calls it Karoo Guitar Blues]

David Kramer collected a few of these guys and made a few albums with them.

One of them playing slide guitar with a spoon https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRYNKlEsQyw
Last edited by rambo919 on Fri May 13, 2022 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7

Post by rossdv8 »

One of the neat things about such a multicultural forum :D
Peter Linu
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Peter Linu »

Ross,
My grammar died in the '57. hahahaha.
Seriously though, it's always bin about the lowest common denominator and I'm talking about at least hundreds of years.
My generation was exceptionally-lucky in that we were encouraged to read anything and everything. This not only gave us an amazing perspective on life but also taught us to spell and write. TV and then computer games put an end to that as they were more exiting to your average Joe. Music went the same way. It too had to be 'dumbed down' to catch on (white rock).
After several more generations, the knowledge level is, as you say, appalling. Company employees are controlled by 'rule books' and private people don't think for themselves preferring to take their time from Facebook loonies, Murdoch... anything to avoid having to make a decision. Best example is the current Oz elections.
Cinnamon 21.3 Thinkcentre M920q + 2 Thinkpad T440p (modded) + Lenovo Y50-70 (all have VBs) + 2 PC NAS drives w XFCE21.2 + Q4OS-32bit on ASUS Atom (2011) + Asus UX305F-64bit+ 10yo Lenovo NAS for backup
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

Facebook:

I would cancel my account, were it not that all of my motorcycle friends have abandoned the "old traditional" forums that created our friendships.... and Rallys that we attend every summer, spring, fall, ' Ride to Eat " :)

Now, if you can't use your DumbPhone on FacelessFarce, you can't keep up with what is going on.

and now, with me being Retired the past 12 years, I would just be a clump on the sod here on my six acres of grass and forests.

at least, by restricting what who can see me, and what Categories will show up for me, it is fairly mild now. :|
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7

Post by rossdv8 »

..Best example is the current Oz elections.
That's where yesterday we had to choose, not the best candidates for the job, but the 'least worst'?
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

rossdv8 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 6:30 pm
..Best example is the current Oz elections.
That's where yesterday we had to choose, not the best candidates for the job, but the 'least worst'?
That's been going on for decades here in the SSA.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Moderator's note:
Kindly stop the political angle, y'all know it's a no-go area here. I'm surprised (and not in a good way) that a couple of forum veterans need to be reminded of this.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

Jymm wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 5:51 am
It is also rude to point out typos and grammar mistakes of others:
Study: People Who Point Out Typos Are Jerks
I agree...at least when everybody knows what was meant.

This one comes to mind, "it's not Linux, it's GNU + Linux". When everyone knows what is meant, there is no need for correction.
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

RollyShed wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 4:48 pm or any punctuation any where,
"never proof your own work"
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

Me thinks ya olive too little things to worry about.

I must go do something useful.
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

They don't learn it to our young ones in school. It just got worser
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

the only place I provide grammar and spelling errors is when I am Beta Reading books for an author, at his request.

on the Internet, it is just plain Rude.....
not all of us excelled in the three 'R's, and I now forget what the saying was for the 3 Rs...
  • 'Reading,
    'Rithmatic
    'Riting,
ah, that was it.
ironbark
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ironbark »

rossdv8 wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 11:02 pm
However this morning's gem comes from our National Broadcaster and one of our main News sources:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-05-07/ ... /101044418
Yes, I too find bad spelling and bad grammar annoying, but what really riles me with www.abc.net.au/news is the way they headline their stories. It as if the headlines are written for children and they too often append a story headline with the phrase ".....here's what you need know".
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

Pjotr wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 4:22 am [...]
Seems to be the same with German, too. TBF, English is super-popular and times change. It's a bit of a shame, though. I'd be frustrated if my language (English) were gradually replaced with some other language. That being said, English consists of lots of foreign words, so I guess it's just the nature of the beast.
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Mod note:
Another post removed. Talking about politicians, governments and elections is talking about politics; don't do that.
Also don't argue with a mod.

Or if you prefer we can just lock the topic. It's apparently easier than staying within the forum rules.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Open Chat”