N O T Daddy Tech Support - but it could be . .

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7
Location: Within 2,000 kilometres of Alice Springs, Australia

N O T Daddy Tech Support - but it could be . .

Post by rossdv8 »

I was trying to find a problem with a computer running Mint yesterday (turned out to be flat batteries and as a part of general checks I ran BOB to see whether the hard drive was choked up (yep - f r e e tech support for family).

It was not too bad, but looking at the results I wondered whether I should advise getting archiving some of the old files.
baobab was showing the usual stuff, but amongst it was:
Folder Size, Contents Modified
Videos 42.4GB 4709 items 107 years

I can understand 40GB of videos these days because people are saving 4K resolution stuff even from GoPro or some new phones.
I can understand 4709 items. People save all sorts of things from weddings, sporting events, family outings and cats on YouTube.
I find it hard to believe nobody has done anything with stuff in that folder for 1 0 7 YEARS !!!
I might get them a backup drive.

It was interesting to see there was a wide range of content under the heading 'Last modified' including:
Yesterday
Today
3 Months
27 Days
52 Years
And many many more.

What intrigued me is the number of entries running into Many Years, especially since I am sure the first computer I sold these people was in about 1997, and this is definitely not it!
I had a good look, and I cannot see a compactus, nor even a single Brownbuilt filing cabinet inside the case.
I wonder where baobab gets its data from?
I wonder what other weird techy stuff linux does?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Current main OS: MInt 21.3 with KDE Plasma 5.27 (using Compiz as WM) - Kernel: 6.5.0-15 on Lenovo m900 Tiny, i5-6400T (intel HD 530 graphics) 16GB RAM.
Sharks usually only attack you if you are wet
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: N O T Daddy Tech Support - but it could be . .

Post by SMG »

That is one impressive time machine. Reminds me of the movie "Back to the Future". Maybe they went back and forth quite a few times to come up with those results. :mrgreen:
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7
Location: Within 2,000 kilometres of Alice Springs, Australia

Re: N O T Daddy Tech Support - but it could be . .

Post by rossdv8 »

I also checked baobab (Disk Usage Analyzer in Mint)on my system with ridiculously similar results, so it's not a problem specific to their computer or drive.
Current main OS: MInt 21.3 with KDE Plasma 5.27 (using Compiz as WM) - Kernel: 6.5.0-15 on Lenovo m900 Tiny, i5-6400T (intel HD 530 graphics) 16GB RAM.
Sharks usually only attack you if you are wet

Return to “Open Chat”