Transporting your device

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.

What sort of carry device do you use?

Poll ended at Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:42 am

Messenger bag
19%
Backpack
29%
Rucksack
No votes
Plastic bag
No votes
Grocery bag
No votes
Brown paper bag
No votes
Carry Case
38%
Purse
No votes
Something else
14%

Total votes: 21

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Transporting your device

Post by MurphCID »

What do you use to carry your laptop around?

Backpack- What college kids carry with a laptop and some school stuff.
Rucksack- A canvas or leather backpack that is designed for longer trips, and carrying heavier loads than a backpack. https://www.amazon.com/rucksack/s?k=rucksack
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Transporting your device

Post by Pierre »

since I've got an number of Laptops, these days . . .
- it's usually an Travel Bag / Carry Case

that has an big slot for the Laptop & some extra pouches for the cables etc . .
and is all enclosed by some metal zip
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Depends on what I am doing,
  • in the RV, between the mattress and blankets,
    travel, in my luggage middle of the bag
    in my truck, gawd knows here, just stuck in a crevice
cellphone?
in my shirt pocket
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Sorry did a small edit.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

I've always used a laptop/notebook bag to transport my laptop or notebooks (I checked "carry case" in the poll since, even though soft sided, they are padded and have multiple compartments, unlike a simple messenger bag). I also store each of the unused ones in one. They all are padded to provide a bit of impact protection (needless to say, a drop to the ground would probably still lunch the computer). When on the road in my pickup, I put whatever bag I'm taking (occasionally two bags) in the bed wedged between the wheel well and the tailgate fore and aft and between the side of the bed and my luggage from side to side. My jackets and other clothing hang from a rod above it. This keeps it (or them) out of sight and from wandering around the bed of my truck. If heat is going to be a concern, I'll put it (them) under the rear seat in the cab. If I'm traveling with a friend, I just have to get creative on where to put it (them).

My notebooks are retired so their bags are simple and each, beside the notebook itself, has little else in it.

I bought a used laptop a little while back that is built on the same chassis as my daily driver and I keep it in a simple bag that, beside the laptop, only has the drives I haven't installed yet and a pair of mice.

My daily driver's laptop bag is rather large, has five zippered compartments, and, even before I put my not so light laptop in it, is heavy enough to anchor the QE2 (if not sink her). I keep the following in it:

the laptop's spare battery and PSU (the other PSU is semi-permanently Velcroed to the side of my desk)

a small case full of various USB cables

four spare SSDs (one for each kind of data and backup drive)

two backup boot drives

screen cleaning supplies

a small can of "canned air"

several small screwdrivers

spare oddball small screws for the laptop and some external drive enclosures

a couple of mice

an external ODD (Optical Disc Drive)

spray silicone for slicking up a hard mouse pad

three of the aforementioned hard mouse pads

PTFE mouse tape (to protect and slick up mouse feet)

pens, pencils, and Sharpies,

notepad

thumb drives (including a couple with Ventoy tools)

a crappy external USB speaker that is still umpteen times better than the laptop speakers

a lighted magnifier

the laptop bag shoulder strap (on the really odd chance I may want to use it)

a USB hub

two 2.5" SSD enclosures

two M.2 NVMe enclosures

a semi-hard case I can put the laptop's external backup drives into when on the road (those drives are also backed up so I'm not worried about losing them)

a three outlet 120v outlet expander (motel rooms often are shy on outlets; I have an extension cord in my luggage)

two pairs of reading glasses (my trifocals are not ideal when using the computer)

And I'm sure I've left something out.
Last edited by Lady Fitzgerald on Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

I picked Something Else because most of the time I use my hardshell briefcase, which really does not qualify messenger bag. I have couple of proper a computer bags, and use them from time to time. At one time I had a rucksack bag for my cameras and computer, but I loaned it to a nephew who does not know how to return stuff. :evil:
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

What is the difference between a backpack and a rucksack? I thought they were one and the same.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Neil Edmond »

I'll admit, today was the first time I'd seen the term "rucksack", so I had to look it up.
https://www.goruck.com/pages/what-is-a-rucksack
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

'Rucking"? Now I've seen it all. I've read several blogs and I still don't know whether there is any meaningful difference; Rucksack is just the German word for backpack. Since this site is in English, not German, I'll choose the word backpack.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Moem wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:04 pm
'Rucking"? Now I've seen it all. I've read several blogs and I still don't know whether there is any meaningful difference; Rucksack is just the German word for backpack. Since this site is in English, not German, I'll choose the word backpack.
If you are the one who is going to be wearing it, there is a significant difference between backpacks and rucksacks. Back packs are lighter duty, generally carry less, and are not as well secured to the wearer, putting more strain on the shoulders and upper back and tending to move around more when walking and bending over. A rucksack usually more heavy duty with more capacity and an actual harness that goes over the shoulders and around the waist, or even a rigid pack frame, to better distribute weight between the shoulders, back, and hips and to keep the pack from sliding around on the back.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:21 pm A rucksack usually more heavy duty with more capacity and an actual harness that goes over the shoulders and around the waist, or even a rigid pack frame, to better distribute weight between the shoulders, back, and hips and to keep the pack from sliding around on the back.
So a rucksack is what people use when backpacking? English is so funny... :lol:

Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

MurphCID wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:42 am Transporting your device [Poll]
Brown paper bag
:lol:
Moem wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:22 pm So a rucksack is what people use when backpacking? English is so funny... :lol:
It's just those pesky British (and Aussies) up to no linguistic good again. No freakin' clue what a rucksack is, tbh.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Moem wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:22 pm
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:21 pm A rucksack usually more heavy duty with more capacity and an actual harness that goes over the shoulders and around the waist, or even a rigid pack frame, to better distribute weight between the shoulders, back, and hips and to keep the pack from sliding around on the back.
So a rucksack is what people use when backpacking?...
It depends on how serious the backpacking is. For a short hike or hiking in easy terrain for the day, a backpack would be lighter and possibly more convenient (due to the shoulder straps only, it's easier to get on and off). Backpacks are also more convenient for lugging around books at school. Some women use small backpacks in lieu of a large purse.

A rucksack, especially one that uses a rigid frame with its harness, is more suitable for mountain climbing and/or long, especially multiday, hiking where you are going to be carry a lot more than a more casual or short term use.

Moem wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:22 pm ...English is so funny... :lol:
:lol: That's a really polite way to put it! English is an alphabet soup of multiple languages that have been run through a mixer; chopped up and loosely mixed but not blended. It has a hodgepodge of spelling, grammar, and pronunciation rules that have far more exceptions than adherences.
Jeannie

Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:40 pm It depends on how serious the backpacking is. For a short hike or hiking in easy terrain for the day, a backpack would be lighter and possibly more convenient
That's what we call 'going for a walk'. :wink:
I've always thought of 'backpacking' as a multi-day event, could easily be weeks, possibly months.

AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

rucksack usually more heavy duty with more capacity and is what the Marines use to carry extra ammo, shovels, pick axe, 4 weeks of dried crap called MRees ( food? )
and have hanger straps all over the place for slinging whatever needs to be drug behind you
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

What is a Messenger bag?

Rucksack, backpack, tramping pack - we'd use those interchangeably. Going to Google as Moem suggests shows backpacks as rucksacks.

A backpack, a pack here for tramping (hiking) would now have internal frames if they have frames at all. For serious work, they will have waist straps as well as shoulder straps to help spread the load. My 90 litre pack has waist straps and could be used for the desktop computer.

A day-pack would be a light pack with only shoulder straps.

If anything the rucksack would be thought to be a light day pack.

My suggestion, because of language etc., a series of pictures of the carry bags and number them. Then people can simply say (3) or some such and there will be no confusion.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

RollyShed wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:00 pm What is a Messenger bag?

Rucksack, backpack, tramping pack - we'd use those interchangeably. Going to Google as Moem suggests shows backpacks as rucksacks.

A backpack, a pack here for tramping (hiking) would now have internal frames if they have frames at all. For serious work, they will have waist straps as well as shoulder straps to help spread the load. My 90 litre pack has waist straps and could be used for the desktop computer.

A day-pack would be a light pack with only shoulder straps.

If anything the rucksack would be thought to be a light day pack.

My suggestion, because of language etc., a series of pictures of the carry bags and number them. Then people can simply say (3) or some such and there will be no confusion.
Ah, another delightful "idiotsynchrasy" (sic) of English. Different countries use it differently. Here in the SSA, even different States (and Commonwealths) use it differently. When I left AZ to go to College in TX last century, it was like going to a foreign country with a foreign language. Many of the words sounded like the English I knew but they had completely different meanings.
Jeannie

RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

So what do we use?
A messenger bag (closest type I can find) for one laptop and for the other laptop, the nearest I can find, a carry bag of this type -
https://www.farmers.co.nz/eco-bag-earth-6507937
The one I use was made by my partner and she has made dozens of them in a range of sizes and not for the company who's link I've given.
As very few readers will be in this country I presume it won't be classed as advertising.
The small laptop that goes in that carry bag then goes in my bicycle saddle bag so a bag in a bag.

And no, I haven't ticked any type in the poll.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

This the case I put the refurbished 17" laptop I bought into. It's a little more elaborate than I wanted but it was the only one I could find in the Podunk, one-horse, flea-bag, piddlesquat, Mickey Mouse megalopolis I live in. :roll:

1.jpg

2.jpg
Last edited by Lady Fitzgerald on Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeannie

SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

I have small padded cases/laptop sleeves. For short trips, I put the laptop in that and then put that and the AC adapter and cords in a long-handled black carry tote with a zippered top that is a bit thicker/sturdier than the ones in the link Rollyshed provided (but similar shape and size). I went to using totes after my briefcase finally fell apart. Totes are lighter to carry than leather briefcases. :mrgreen:

For longer trips when I'm transporting both laptops, they are both in their own padded cases, but together in the same tote. That tote is an insulated bag meant for carrying cold groceries (to keep them cool). I consider the insulation to be some padding. Additionally, I have a spongy-like padded rectangle from something I received in the mail on the bottom of the tote and then make sure to wedge the tote in my vehicle somewhere it will not shift.

I selected carry case in the poll since I think that is the closest to what I've described.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.

Return to “Open Chat”