Poll: How much RAM?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.

How much ram on your computer is best/optimal for you?

Poll ended at Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:24 am

Less than 4
No votes
8%
24%
41%
22%
3%
No votes
No votes
More than 256
3%

Total votes: 37

rambo919
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Poll: How much RAM?

Post by rambo919 »

16Gb would have been fine but when I bought I bought once and that's it. 32GB won't run out.
151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

Pierre wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:42 pm all of my PCs are an older type,
and most of them would have 4Gb ram installed.
I use old desktop computers that are 10 and 15 years old and some of them have 4.0GB of ram and some have 6.0GB of ram whatever I had in my spare parts box.

If you choose the right distro 4.0GB of ram works fine with any browser I use and vary rarely will I have more than 3 tabs open at one time.

Yeah it would be cool to have more ram but what I have works good for what I need to do.
Last year we said, 'Things can't go on like this', and they didn't, they got worse.
[Will Rogers]

There are two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither works.
[Will Rogers]
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

My HP Envy TE01-0014 shipped with 12 GB of RAM (kind of an odd amount, but what the heck) and I've never upgraded it.

My M1 MBA shipped with 8 GB and is non-upgradeable, and I've never gotten remotely close to running low on RAM.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

I have 14G, but I think 16G would be optimal for me, because I use virtual machines and because I use TMPFS for '/tmp' and stuff.
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Portreve wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:23 am My HP Envy TE01-0014 shipped with 12 GB of RAM (kind of an odd amount, but what the heck) and I've never upgraded it.

My M1 MBA shipped with 8 GB and is non-upgradeable, and I've never gotten remotely close to running low on RAM.
That sounds good, my daughter wants a MBA and that is very good information. I upgraded my spouse units old HP Ryzen laptop and it now has 24gb of ram. All my personal laptops have 16 gb, and the desktop running Windows 10 has 32. I like the HP Pavillion series since they have actual memory slots and you can upgrade the ram. My Spouse-Unit's personal Ryzen 15" was upgraded to 16 gb.

My friend that I gave the old MBP with POP OS had 8gb, and he is complaining that it bogs down due to lack of ram. But he will have 30-50 tabs open in Chrome at any given time.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Who knows, maybe now I'll start playing around with Garage Band. Back in the day, I created an entirely sample-n-loop melody that I thought was actually pretty cool.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Portreve wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:30 am Who knows, maybe now I'll start playing around with Garage Band. Back in the day, I created an entirely sample-n-loop melody that I thought was actually pretty cool.
Sounds good to me. Well she got the MBA and it has 16gb of ram, I wanted to future proof it.
old_noob
Level 4
Level 4

Post by old_noob »

All my devices have 8GB, which seems adequate, though I'd like to have 16GB if I got into youtubing or video editing. Mint Xfce ran pretty well on 2-4GB but those machines have all died now (I killed one by slipping on ice last winter and landing on my backpack).
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

old_noob wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:06 pm All my devices have 8GB, which seems adequate, though I'd like to have 16GB if I got into youtubing or video editing. Mint Xfce ran pretty well on 2-4GB but those machines have all died now (I killed one by slipping on ice last winter and landing on my backpack).
Valid point. All my older Linux laptops (re-purposed HP laptops from the spouse-unit and kids) had 4 or 8 gb of ram, and worked fine with MInt.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Interesting, no one is using the 128gb + levels of RAM. I would have suspected that some desktop users would have added extra ram.
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

For non-gamers and I guess if you don't use your rig as a media center to watch movies (I don't know much about that area) I would think 16G should be plenty. This 12 year old daily driver has 16G, my wife's 10 year old HP and my most powerful Lenovo T430 all have 16G and they all run as fast as ever and as well as any new systems I have checked out. Then I have a few older laptops and a PC that I have inherited and play/test with which have anything from 2G to 8G. I can get them to run just fine depending on how I configure them - OS, DE and internal drives SSD vs HDD all pf which have as much an impact as RAM . . . maybe more say after 4G on performance.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

majpooper wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:35 pm ...I guess if you don't use your rig as a media center to watch movies (I don't know much about that area) I would think 16G should be plenty..,
16 GB is more than enough for watching movies. I just fired up some movies on my laptop and the RAM usage didn't even budge from the 2.7GB that was already being used. I have 16GB of RAM but I suspect you could play a movie with only 4GB of RAM
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

if you don't use your rig as a media center to watch movies (I don't know much about that area) I would think 16G should be plenty
Yes 16gb is plenty even for media center apps
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Marie SWE
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Marie SWE »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:00 pm
majpooper wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:35 pm ...I guess if you don't use your rig as a media center to watch movies (I don't know much about that area) I would think 16G should be plenty..,
16 GB is more than enough for watching movies. I just fired up some movies on my laptop and the RAM usage didn't even budge from the 2.7GB that was already being used. I have 16GB of RAM but I suspect you could play a movie with only 4GB of RAM
win7 4GB ram 512MB of that set to internal graphic.. I have 8 file managers up, two documents open one my movies and one TV-shows. my system monitor ir running and my MPC-HC player and watching movie right now.. Total used Ram is 1.23GB.. system uptime 243days
Try that Linux. :mrgreen:
if you want my attention...quote me so I get a notification
Nothing is impossible, the impossible just takes a little longer to solve..
It is like it is.. because you do as you do.. if you hadn't done it as you did.. it wouldn't have become as it is. ;)
dave0808
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dave0808 »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:00 pm
My HTPC has 8GB. I track the memory usage with conky and it never gets near the top end.
ivar
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ivar »

This laptop I'm using for browsing at home (Mint cinnamon 20.3) got 4 GB, soldered on so not upgradable. I also keep a lot of browser tabs open, so 8GB (or even 12-16) would have been nice. Main machine at work (win10) 16 GB works fine - 8 GB is painful. Also got a handful of pcs for testing that works fine with 8 GB

Return to “Open Chat”