Ideas for my Linux hating daughter (and computer hating wife)?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Ideas for my Linux hating daughter?

Post by RollyShed »

MurphCID wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:28 amIt is such a shame that Nvidia does this. At least AMD is Linux friendly.
I fitted an AMD Sapphire card and no problems. It was Mint 20.3 and possibly Mint 21 has got round it.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Ideas for my Linux hating daughter?

Post by MurphCID »

RollyShed wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:16 pm
MurphCID wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:28 amIt is such a shame that Nvidia does this. At least AMD is Linux friendly.
I fitted an AMD Sapphire card and no problems. It was Mint 20.3 and possibly Mint 21 has got round it.
Nice!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Ideas for my Linux hating daughter (and computer hating wife)?

Post by MurphCID »

We shall see how the Spouse Unit likes the Macbook Air M2, I got her all the extras- mouse (logitech of course), keyboard, cover, sleeve, Microsoft Office, Zoom, etc. Hopefully this will end the "The stupid computer is not working!" issues.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

MurphCID wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:07 am We shall see how the Spouse Unit likes the Macbook Air M2, I got her all the extras- mouse (logitech of course), keyboard, cover, sleeve, Microsoft Office, Zoom, etc. Hopefully this will end the "The stupid computer is not working!" issues.
no it won't :roll:
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

AZgl1800 wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:23 pm
MurphCID wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:07 am We shall see how the Spouse Unit likes the Macbook Air M2, I got her all the extras- mouse (logitech of course), keyboard, cover, sleeve, Microsoft Office, Zoom, etc. Hopefully this will end the "The stupid computer is not working!" issues.
no it won't :roll:
Sadly I suspect you are probably 100% correct.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I took back my little HP Spectre x360 from my youngest daughter. She loves her Mac so much, I decided to take the laptop back so that I have a windows laptop for me. She was miffed. I told her she has the larger one, the 15.6" Spectre so the little one is mine again! Muahahahaha!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I found an excellent quality Macbook Pro 2015 15" on Amazon. It had 16 gb of ram a 1TB drive, for $521 from Double Dex, ordered it, and it arrived. Great condition except for one little issue; there was a rip in the screen. So I contacted them, and they told me to ship it back. They sent the instructions, and I had to pay to ship it back! No return label, no offer to cover the costs, so I ponied up the horrific cost, and shipped it back. Then I got a whiny email that I only gave them a 3 star rating (really the laptop was in good shape and as advertized except for the screen damaged), they were offended that I would damage their reputation, so they offered to replace it if they could. I told them to just forget it and send the refund to my Amazon account. How can something advertized as "Excellent" come with a screen rip? Wow. Then to make me pay for the return, less than ideal. I am not amused. (This was going to be a secondary unit for the Spouse Unit if she needed it.)
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

MurphCID wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:42 pm I found an excellent quality Macbook Pro 2015 15" on Amazon. It had 16 gb of ram a 1TB drive, for $521 from Double Dex, ordered it, and it arrived. Great condition except for one little issue; there was a rip in the screen. So I contacted them, and they told me to ship it back. They sent the instructions, and I had to pay to ship it back! No return label, no offer to cover the costs, so I ponied up the horrific cost, and shipped it back. Then I got a whiny email that I only gave them a 3 star rating (really the laptop was in good shape and as advertized except for the screen damaged), they were offended that I would damage their reputation, so they offered to replace it if they could. I told them to just forget it and send the refund to my Amazon account. How can something advertized as "Excellent" come with a screen rip? Wow. Then to make me pay for the return, less than ideal. I am not amused. (This was going to be a secondary unit for the Spouse Unit if she needed it.)
Report the whiny email to Amazon. It's a violation of Amazon's terms for a vendor to ask for a better rating.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

I use Amazon's return policy once in a while.

1) the device does not fit my hand size, ordered a Larger one.

2) device will not connect to Windows ( an 8TB SSD ), noticed they quit selling that one

3) device failed after a few weeks use

most of the time, for me, using Amazon is "Cost efficient", as it takes 2 gallons of fuel to make a round trip to town, plus searching through 5 stores for what I want, ending up with NADA, eating at Taco Bell, and go home.

Find what I want on Amazon, and go back to reading my eBook, is cheaper.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:19 pm
MurphCID wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:42 pm I found an excellent quality Macbook Pro 2015 15" on Amazon. It had 16 gb of ram a 1TB drive, for $521 from Double Dex, ordered it, and it arrived. Great condition except for one little issue; there was a rip in the screen. So I contacted them, and they told me to ship it back. They sent the instructions, and I had to pay to ship it back! No return label, no offer to cover the costs, so I ponied up the horrific cost, and shipped it back. Then I got a whiny email that I only gave them a 3 star rating (really the laptop was in good shape and as advertized except for the screen damaged), they were offended that I would damage their reputation, so they offered to replace it if they could. I told them to just forget it and send the refund to my Amazon account. How can something advertized as "Excellent" come with a screen rip? Wow. Then to make me pay for the return, less than ideal. I am not amused. (This was going to be a secondary unit for the Spouse Unit if she needed it.)
Report the whiny email to Amazon. It's a violation of Amazon's terms for a vendor to ask for a better rating.
OK, will do!

Return to “Open Chat”