Ideas for my Linux hating daughter (and computer hating wife)?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
chiefjim
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Ideas for my Linux hating daughter?

Post by chiefjim »

I like giving away a usb live flashdrive. Works great for college students. Should their machine not boot from the installed OS inform them this enables access to those files and even allow printing as well.

Soon they may ask could I work on those files? Yup. What else can it do? Lots, have fun experimenting.

Once they find how robust and friendly Linux is to work with their curiosity will take over.
Mint-21.0 Mate 64 bit / LMDE-5 64 bit
Gigabyte H370M D3H
Intel G3258
Crucial Ballistic Sport 32GB DDR4 2400
8TB HDD Seagate Baracuda 5400rpm
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

MurphCID wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:41 am That is very nice looking.
Thanks, I got the new panel today because Amazon decided to bring it a few days early. It looks nicer still on that. I have calibrated the colour to sRGB but it didn't actually change that much from the stock settings for the monitor. The grey levels were adjusted a fraction and it came back 100% sRGB after. To be fair the old panel was originally 98% but the backlight was failing, it was so low it was getting uncomfortable to use during the day.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

chiefjim wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:09 am I like giving away a usb live flashdrive. Works great for college students. Should their machine not boot from the installed OS inform them this enables access to those files and even allow printing as well.

Soon they may ask could I work on those files? Yup. What else can it do? Lots, have fun experimenting.

Once they find how robust and friendly Linux is to work with their curiosity will take over.
Now there is an idea that might work. The next time Murph's daughter needs some tech help with an OS crash, he can just say can't fix it right away )for some reason he will have to conjure up) but plug in the live USB drive and tell her she can access her files or surf from there until he "can get around to fixing the computer".
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

chiefjim wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:09 am I like giving away a usb live flashdrive. Works great for college students. Should their machine not boot from the installed OS inform them this enables access to those files and even allow printing as well.

That is an absolutely brilliant idea!
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

MurphCID wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:54 pm That is an absolutely brilliant idea!
Or conversely you may end up getting it extracted by a Nurse in the ER :wink:
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

antikythera wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:07 pm
MurphCID wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:54 pm That is an absolutely brilliant idea!
Or conversely you may end up getting it extracted by a Nurse in the ER :wink:
No, that would be my Spouse-Unit......
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

On the upside, after days of trying to get the blasted thing working, I managed to get Veracrypt working on both Linux and Windows on a 128gb flash drive. So what I am going to do is set it up on the computers and give each child an encrypted flash drive for mission critical files and folders. I am also going to make a Mint 20.3 "recovery" drive in case.....
Beerislife
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Beerislife »

CheomeOS Flex has just been released and looks good! :mrgreen:

I've been running it from a USB drive for a few days.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Beerislife wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:52 pm CheomeOS Flex has just been released and looks good! :mrgreen:

Have not seen that one yet.
dollyp
Level 3
Level 3

Post by dollyp »

antikythera wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 9:00 pm Stuff it, here's the customisations with the old monitor still.
Notice all those boring launchers for applications that only old people use on the panel :lol:
Very nice look. I also like lots of launchers in the middle so must be an old person. Damn, I am!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

We are stuck here quarantined since the oldest has COVID. She is pretty miserable, so I have been offering my Linux laptop to her since she is stuck in her room. I still get "No Dad!". The Spouse Unit and I think we might have had it last week, but the symptoms felt like sinus issues. So I have, in addition to my retirement time, now I have COVID time to play on my Linux laptops. I think that when Mint 21 comes out that the Darter Pro will be the experimental machine for the immediate upgrade.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

dollyp wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:33 am Very nice look. I also like lots of launchers in the middle so must be an old person. Damn, I am!
It may get trashed when the system upgrades to the GTK4 build of Cinnamon though. I'm hoping not but I am keeping an eye on the git for cinnamenu and the notko cinnamon shell theme by smurphos
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

antikythera wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:18 am
dollyp wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:33 am Very nice look. I also like lots of launchers in the middle so must be an old person. Damn, I am!
It may get trashed when the system upgrades to the GTK4 build of Cinnamon though. I'm hoping not but I am keeping an eye on the git for cinnamenu and the notko cinnamon shell theme by smurphos
Well keep us posted since it is so nice looking.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I was installing 21 on the HP Dev One, and had just finished getting Cinnamox-Heather installed, and my oldest walked in and asked me; "Daddy? Did you put Windows on that laptop?" I told her no, it was Linux, and she told me is cannot be Linux, it does not look old...... Thank you Mint team/Cinnamon team for making Cinnamon look modern.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I was speaking with my daughter (the oldest one, and yes, she actually crawled out of her room long enough for me to have a conversation with her and eat something.), and we started talking about "update day" (we set aside a day every two weeks to update/backup all the computers), and she asked me: "Dad do you have ANY laptops that run Windows in case we need one?" My answer: Nope. She thought that this was unacceptable, and told me to get a Windows laptop so if something went down, she could use it. My response was "learn Linux". She flounced back to her room. I asked her for the old Dell G7 gaming laptop since she never uses it, and she told me that she was not going to give it back so I could put Linux on it. Ok, I left it with her for now. For now. I told her that if we really needed one, we have her mother's old laptop, and I got "Ewwwww! That thing is OLD!" Ok it has a 2700U Ryzen, 24gb of ram, and a 500 gb NVME drive. It is not THAT old. I updated the ram and drive after my wife got her new retirement laptop.
Last edited by MurphCID on Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

MurphCID wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:21 amOk it has a 2700U Ryzen, 24gb of ram, and a 500 gb NVME drive. It is not THAT old.
That rates highly, higher than the desktop I was using last week and will probably go back to unless I can stop this one from locking up. RAM problems?
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/mid_range_cpus.html
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

RollyShed wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:06 pm
MurphCID wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:21 amOk it has a 2700U Ryzen, 24gb of ram, and a 500 gb NVME drive. It is not THAT old.
That rates highly, higher than the desktop I was using last week and will probably go back to unless I can stop this one from locking up. RAM problems?
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/mid_range_cpus.html
Yeah, I got this one to replace my wife's old laptop when it was on a 50% off deal at Best Buy, it had 8 gb of ram, and 256gb NVME drive when we got it. After i updated her laptop, I added a 16gb stick of ram, and a 500 gb drive. It is the emergency laptop for the house. Works great, the spouse unit is using it to watch Netflix in her sewing room since she has not let me set the NUC up again yet. Battery life is not as good as it once was, but it still gives you 2+ hours of use.
ivar
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ivar »

Beerislife wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:52 pm CheomeOS Flex has just been released and looks good! :mrgreen:

video on installing linux apps + 4 months of use - looks promising!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsWgzH3OzYY
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

ivar wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:39 am

video on installing linux apps + 4 months of use - looks promising!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsWgzH3OzYY
It looks interesting, I will show it to her later and see what she thinks.
ivar
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ivar »

.. maybe it is perceived to be a little bit less "uncool" than linux, lol!

Return to “Open Chat”