How many bytes are there in 8 GiB RAM?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

How many bytes are there in 8 GiB RAM?

Post by antikythera »

[ split from [SOLVED] All of available RAM not recognized by the OS and moved here ]

That GPU share and the unit that Linux uses for RAM account for the difference. Linux uses Gibibytes, so your RAM before the GPU share is taken equates to roughly 7.629395 Gibibytes.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: All of available RAM not recognized by the OS

Post by xenopeek »

antikythera wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:11 am That GPU share and the unit that Linux uses for RAM account for the difference. Linux uses Gibibytes, so your RAM before the GPU share is taken equates to roughly 7.629395 Gibibytes.
What do you mean 7.629395 Gibibytes? The system has 8 GiB RAM. 8 gibibytes if you want to write it out.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Re: [SOLVED] All of available RAM not recognized by the OS

Post by antikythera »

8 GiB is a rounded up amount. The system has 8192 megabytes of RAM which when converted properly is the value I gave above in GiB. 1 megabyte is equal to 8000000 bits, while 1 gibibyte is equal to 8589934592 bits

FYI it is not possible to configure the GPU share for a Ryzen APU, the share is configured by AGESA based on the amount of installed RAM. Anything system with 8192 megabytes or above it will take 2048 for the GPU share
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

antikythera wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:28 am 8 GiB is a rounded up amount. The system has 8192 megabytes of RAM which when converted properly is the value I gave above in GiB. 1 megabyte is equal to 8000000 bits, while 1 gibibyte is equal to 8589934592 bits
The lshw output shows two 4 GiB RAM modules installed for a total of 8 GiB system memory. 8 GiB is 8192 mebibytes (MiB) which is the same as 8589.935 megabytes (MB). I think you're mixing up units.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

no I'm not mixing up anything, 1 MB = 0.95367431640625 MiB. RAM sticks are 2048, 4096, 8192 MB and so on.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

xenopeek wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:00 pm The lshw output shows two 4 GiB RAM modules installed for a total of 8 GiB system memory. 8 GiB is 8192 mebibytes (MiB) which is the same as 8589.935 megabytes (MB). I think you're mixing up units.
I am even sure of it -- and the reason you on an e.g. 8 GiB system even without shared memory never see 8 * 1024^3 bytes total available from for example free is various BIOS-level exclusions for e.g. ACPI and, more significantly, because memory used by the kernel itself is excluded from that "total" number.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

antikythera wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:02 pm no I'm not mixing up anything, 1 MB = 0.95367431640625 MiB. RAM sticks are 2048, 4096, 8192 MB and so on.
No, I'm sorry, but you are definitively wrong. RAM sticks are 2048, 4096, 8192 MiB and so on.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

No they aren't. Both BIOS and Windows report in MB, not MiB. You cannot suddenly make more RAM appear out of nowhere by using a different unit. I'll take some images so you can see I'm not wrong.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

antikythera wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:10 pm No they aren't.
Yes, they are -- but I'll leave you to it then. Anyone else: do not believe him.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

There, categoric proof I am not making this up. Someone coming from windows like the OP will notice this and question it quite rightly. FYI my signature has a link to the system info for both my machines, this image is from the MSI one. I used that because there is no GPU share
Last edited by antikythera on Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

What you are showing there is that lots of things, a very large majority even certainly when it comes to memory technology, still uses the historic e.g. MB nomer instead of the relatively new MiB one.

I'm fairly sure you will still not be convinced, but it's approximately PC hardware 101 that RAM sizes use the binary prefixes. Shan't be trying to convince you further but note that you really are wrong.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

antikythera wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:10 pm No they aren't. Both BIOS and Windows report in MB, not MiB. You cannot suddenly make more RAM appear out of nowhere by using a different unit. I'll take some images so you can see I'm not wrong.
JEDEC is the standards body for computer memory. If you don't believe rene and me, believe them: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JEDEC_mem ... e_capacity. RAM sizes are power of 2, not power of 10. JEDEC use MB interchangeable with MiB. For memory MB always means MiB (1,048,576 bytes not 1,000,000 bytes) but not everywhere is it written as MiB. In the JEDEC standard that is optional.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

rene wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:26 pm What you are showing there is that lots of things, a very large majority even certainly when it comes to memory technology, still uses the historic e.g. MB nomer instead of the relatively new MiB one.

I'm fairly sure you will still not be convinced, but it's approximately PC hardware 101 that RAM sizes use the binary prefixes. Shan't be trying to convince you further but note that you really are wrong.
So BIOS creators, MSI and Microsoft are all wrong too then. I will agree to disagree over this because it's pointless when every time a windows user sees their RAM magically disappear arguing the toss with you guys.

I therefore can only stand by my conversion equation for Windows users to equate their installed RAM to what Linux is actually showing.
Marie SWE
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Marie SWE »

antikythera wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:29 pm
rene wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:26 pm What you are showing there is that lots of things, a very large majority even certainly when it comes to memory technology, still uses the historic e.g. MB nomer instead of the relatively new MiB one.

So BIOS creators, MSI and Microsoft are all wrong too then. I will agree to disagree over this because it's pointless when every time a windows user sees their RAM magically disappear arguing the toss with you guys.

I therefore can only stand by my conversion equation for Windows users to equate their installed RAM to what Linux is actually showing.
Yes and no.... and... no and yes. :mrgreen:

MB was 1024 in the computer world a long time,,, then in December 1998 by the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) they decided to use MiB for that value.. so before Dec-1998 you are right... after Dec-1998 MB is 1000 and MiB is 1024. (I have just begun to accept MiB but i still often miss-write with MB when I mean 1024)
Microsoft is as they is.. and still use MB as 1024 as they always have done and probably always will.
Harddrives and so on have used MB as 1000 for a long time.. Ram I think still is 1024 but asus, HP and so on, i guess they are on microsoft side on this and don't like the look of MiB instead om MB

I guess that (IEC) was fans of the movie Men in Black with the movie logo MiB that was released in 1997. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
if you want my attention...quote me so I get a notification
Nothing is impossible, the impossible just takes a little longer to solve..
It is like it is.. because you do as you do.. if you hadn't done it as you did.. it wouldn't have become as it is. ;)
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

Marie SWE wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:29 pm [...]
Thanks for that tidbit. Didn't know the standard was changed to powers of 1024 in 1998.
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
Marie SWE
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Marie SWE »

Termy wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:47 pm
Marie SWE wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:29 pm [...]
Thanks for that tidbit. Didn't know the standard was changed to powers of 1024 in 1998.
I didn't either before I started to use Linux and I was soooo frustrated that my files didn't had same size when I dualbooted win-mint.. it was then I learned about it and changed my linux file manager to show in MiB, so I had the same file size in both of them.
It is like it is.. because you do as you do.. if you hadn't done it as you did.. it wouldn't have become as it is. ;)
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

Marie SWE wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:09 pm [...]
Oh, you've been Linux-ing for a long time, then. ;)
Marie SWE
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Marie SWE »

Termy wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:12 pm
Marie SWE wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:09 pm [...]
Oh, you've been Linux-ing for a long time, then. ;)
I did my first install of Linux in the end of February 2018.. I distro jumped 4-7days en ended up with mint the last day of February and then Joined in here. Mar 01, 2018 12:32 am
So I guess it was in the beginning or middle of March 2018 I was frustrated and then learned about it. :mrgreen: damn what I hated Linux for the first year. :lol: i remember my frustration of lack of GUI software, the MiB thingi and the damn lokal network win-linux mix. :oops: :lol: I remember it as it was yesterday.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

Marie SWE wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:21 pm [...]
I joined the Linux bandwagon about 8 or 9 years ago, and haven't looked back since. I distro-hopped for a couple of years, because I loved seeing and learning about all of the different environments and software. :) All the file managers, window managers, desktop managers, compositors, desktop environments, display managers, etc. :lol: It's exhausting, but awesome. Nowadays, as has been the case for several years, I just camp out in my minimalistic Ubuntu-based setup.
Marie SWE
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Marie SWE »

Termy wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:42 pm
Marie SWE wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:21 pm [...]
I joined the Linux bandwagon about 8 or 9 years ago, and haven't looked back since. I distro-hopped for a couple of years, because I loved seeing and learning about all of the different environments and software. :) All the file managers, window managers, desktop managers, compositors, desktop environments, display managers, etc. :lol: It's exhausting, but awesome. Nowadays, as has been the case for several years, I just camp out in my minimalistic Ubuntu-based setup.
I did go back to the root.. Mint18.3 --> LMDE --> Debian. :D
I hate installing computers, so I want 10years LTS but I don't think Redhat or Rocky linux will do well as a work desktop OS. :?
I do hope that win12Pro will become a LTS release as win7. :oops: But I do know deep inside that will never happen. :roll:

Return to “Open Chat”