Do you have a distro testing computer?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.

Do you have a distro testing computer?

Yes
43%
No
36%
I have several
21%
I never stay on any one distro for long
No votes

Total votes: 53

kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Do you have a distro testing computer?

Post by kenetics »

I had an old desktop computer I used for testing distros, but since I recently upgraded the components it is running Mint Cinnamon very well and I will keep it Mint (at least for a while).

I recently had a Samsung Chromebook that expired (reached end of automatic updates). I tried Peppermint OS on it and will probably stick with that distro, as it is based on Lightweight Lubuntu. Unfortunately, the CB doesn't support hardware acceleration.
Using Mint as primary OS since 2006.
DisturbedDragon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by DisturbedDragon »

msseufert wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:02 am "I have several"

To be pedantic, I have a VMWare ESXi server with lots of RAM and drive space that I run several VMs from. Some testing, some permanent.
Exact same answer here 8)
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16C/32T | MSI MPG x570 Gaming Plus | 2TB Mushkin Pilot-E NVMe | 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe | 2x 2TB Inland Gen4 NVMe | 32GB Trident Z DDR4 3600 | Nvidia RTX4090 | Fedora 39 Cinnamon | Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon | Kernel 5.15.x lowlatency
roncraig
Level 1
Level 1

Post by roncraig »

I have a separate nvme drive just for testing. I typically test something I'm interested in with VBox first. If it piques my interest then I install it on the extra drive I have.
Kernel: 5.15.0-33
DE: Cinnamon
Mobo: ASRock model: X299 Taichi CLX
CPU: Intel Core i9-10900X
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080
Memory: 64GB
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

151tom wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:57 am Every computer I have and I install and use Linux on is a distro testing computer.
Maybe one day I'll find a Linux disto that is the best Linux distro and use it.
Until that day happens I guess I will just hafta keep testing Linux distros.
You're suffering from the common delusion that there's all that much difference between GNU/Linux distros. There isn't. They all get their kernels from the same place and are built from the same bits really. The main thing is the quality of user support, meaning most are useless for most users because they have little to none.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Not a physical computer but I use Virtualbox to test.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

151tom wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:57 am Every computer I have and I install and use Linux on is a distro testing computer.
I think you'll be searching for a long time for the "best Linux distro" and dare I say you'll never find it because there isn't one.
ivar
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ivar »

Heresy! :mrgreen:
Here on the mintforum most all agree that Mint is best, bar none :mrgreen: :D
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

JerryF wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:17 am
I think you'll be searching for a long time for the "best Linux distro" and dare I say you'll never find it because there isn't one.
LOL :D I find for the most part Mint does everything I need and want, but there is always the desire to see what is over that next hill.....
151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

Hoser Rob wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:01 am
You're suffering from the common delusion that there's all that much difference between GNU/Linux distros. There isn't. They all get their kernels from the same place and are built from the same bits really. The main thing is the quality of user support, meaning most are useless for most users because they have little to none.
Actually I'm not suffering from the common delusion that there's all that much difference between GNU/Linux distros I know that Linux is Linux and one Linux distro ain't no better than the next Linux distro.

I was just being a smart alek nothing more.
Last year we said, 'Things can't go on like this', and they didn't, they got worse.
[Will Rogers]

There are two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither works.
[Will Rogers]
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

there is always the desire to see what is over that next hill
Windows 12?
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Petermint wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:55 pm
Windows 12?
Nooooooo! More spyware, more control.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Petermint wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:55 pm
Windows 12?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

ivar wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:37 am Heresy! :mrgreen:
Yes, for me Mint is the best!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

JerryF wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:27 am
ivar wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:37 am Heresy! :mrgreen:
Yes, for me Mint is the best!
Me too, the Lenovo has arrived and so far I have been hammering away on it.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Well, so far on the T480s I have tried Fedora 36 KDE, which had some issues, and just did not "feel" right. MX Linux KDE which would not remember the wireless network between reboots, MX Linux XFCE which worked great, looked good, and I have no real complaints, except it is not Cinnamon. I love the built in Conky, TLP, and HTOP. Now it has LMDE 5, which works great. The MX KDE had the same 5.10 kernel as LMDE 5 but LMDE 5 seems much more stable, and the wifi connection remains connected. So it is a kernel issue. The MX XFCE has a 5.16 kernel and works well. I am doing my research on Debian-testing as a possible, same for Mageia 8. I might attempt a dual boot, but doubt it. Like Jay at Learn Linux TV, I prefer to load onto bare metal. I might move the T480s downstairs so that it is beside my chair, and move the Dev One upstairs to my office. I am looking at possibly attempting either Manjaro or Endeavor OS at some point. I am less likely to use the Arch distros since the command syntax in terminal is so different, and non-standard (for us Debian users).
Ivy_Pool
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Ivy_Pool »

Not anymore. I played on a dual-core and a couple of old laptops but gave that up about a year ago.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Been playing around with distros on the T480s, and I must say I have been enjoying putting stuff on the bare metal. Since it is a used device, I am not worried about the constant changes in distros causing any issues. This is essentially a computer I can break if need be, not that I plan on doing that. So I have spent a couple of days playing with several distros, and none have really "felt" right. Mageia 8 felt a lot like the old Mandrake, but it had some quirks that just made me decided to change back to MX Linux XFCE. I have been enjoying having a "distro testing" device that I can spend whatever time I want loading and reloading distros to see which ones work and feel the best for me (other than Mint which is on all my other laptops). I am actually using the T480s right now at the coffee shop for my standard distro testing procedure.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

So far COVID has set me back, but I plan on testing lots more distros on the T480s.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

I miss my old distro-testing days, but I eventually ran out of steam. I tried so many over a couple of my early Linux years, that I guess I got burned out from it. It was fun, though. I definitely recommend y'all have a virtual machine or two handy, because it makes the whole experience much easier — usually.
MurphCID wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:59 am [...]
Sorry to hear [read] that. Hope you get better ASAP (preferably immediately) so you can nerd out with Linux as much as humanly possible.
Dunno if they would've held that belief, back in the day, when armies were smashing into each other on a regular and pointless basis. Can't imagine some peasant thinking that, in his village, when he hears a rumor of a Viking army approaching on the other side of a hill. I think the peasant would just run for his life, rather than go exploring over the hill. Granted, I'm massively overthinking this. :lol: That's the price of boredom.
Last edited by Termy on Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

I originally voted no but I changed it to yes but now that I have three similar laptops, I'm going to use the third one as a guinea pig...er...test bed for upgrading to or installing either Mint 20.3, then upgrade from there to Mint 21 when the upgrade tool comes out, or just directly install to Mint 21. I have 19.3 so heavily customized, I'm loath to do a clean install of 21.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!

Return to “Open Chat”