Do you have a distro testing computer?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.

Do you have a distro testing computer?

Yes
43%
No
36%
I have several
21%
I never stay on any one distro for long
No votes

Total votes: 53

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Do you have a distro testing computer?

Post by MurphCID »

I used to use the Darter Pro (Gen 1 coreboot) as a distro testing laptop, but could never get things like Fedora, Mageia, MX Linux, and Slackware to run on it. I suspect that it needs both a newer kernel, and there is something in the Ubuntu driver set that only works and since Mint and POP!_OS are both Ubuntu based, that might have been an issue. It now very nicely ticks along on LMDE5 for some reason. So I found an el cheapo Lenovo T480s on Amazon that has reasonable specifications, and is renewed. So it will become my distro testing laptop.
chiefjim
Level 6
Level 6

Post by chiefjim »

As long time forum members may recall I am a staunch believer in docking stations. Couple hdd's reserved for testing not only other distros but our own beta and rc releases.

Ttwo other boxes exist for both standby use and experimentation. Each also attached with a dedicated docking station. Very easy to conduct tests with backup copies of various data files. Only when satisfied do they get considered for the main box.
Mint-21.0 Mate 64 bit / LMDE-5 64 bit
Gigabyte H370M D3H
Intel G3258
Crucial Ballistic Sport 32GB DDR4 2400
8TB HDD Seagate Baracuda 5400rpm
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

chiefjim wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:06 pm As long time forum members may recall I am a staunch believer in docking stations. Couple hdd's reserved for testing not only other distros but our own beta and rc releases.

Ttwo other boxes exist for both standby use and experimentation. Each also attached with a dedicated docking station. Very easy to conduct tests with backup copies of various data files. Only when satisfied do they get considered for the main box.
Never used one, do they work well in practice, and what type of port(s) do you need to use one? I am thinking about the Lenovo that is incoming.

The other question I have, is when the Lenovo arrives it will be the test rig, so does anyone have any comments on Fedora 36 KDE? Or Debian 12? I am planning on staying away from the Arch type distros for the near future. Mageia 8 and Fedora 36 KDE look to be my first tested distros.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Is distro hopping a male thing, like channel hopping with a TV remote? :wink:
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

or test driving cars or experimenting with 17 different bread recipes during the covid lockdown.

In my case, I go look at products in shops before buying. I see others buy stuff online without touching an example. Look at lots of options Test before buy.

If it is gender based, the female equivalent would be looking at 20 black skirts across 10 shops in the local mall even though most of the shops are owned by the same company and sourced from the same factory in China with only the price varying, $40 - $300. :shock:
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Petermint wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:01 pm ...If it is gender based, the female equivalent would be looking at 20 black skirts across 10 shops in the local mall even though most of the shops are owned by the same company and sourced from the same factory in China with only the price varying, $40 - $300. :shock:
Apples to oranges.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
chiefjim
Level 6
Level 6

Post by chiefjim »

MurphCID wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:54 pm
chiefjim wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:06 pm As long time forum members may recall I am a staunch believer in docking stations. Couple hdd's reserved for testing not only other distros but our own beta and rc releases.

Two other boxes exist for both standby use and experimentation. Each also attached with a dedicated docking station. Very easy to conduct tests with backup copies of various data files. Only when satisfied do they get considered for the main box.
Never used one, do they work well in practice, and what type of port(s) do you need to use one? I am thinking about the Lenovo that is incoming.
Most utilize USB with the connectors based on the speed capabilities at time of manufacture. Key item for the end users is to determine what connectors they need for their existing devices. Type C output to a USB 2.0 for example. No proprietary software required.

My newest docking station is a 2-bay Sabrent. Each bay fully independent of the other so one can be formatting while the other is playing movie files. Can also be used to clone from one to the other independent of the computer. As you may have already guessed make moving files to another system as simple as plugging in a USB cord and putting grsync to work.
Gigabyte H370M D3H
Intel G3258
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

chiefjim wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:30 pm
MurphCID wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:54 pm

Two other boxes exist for both standby use and experimentation. Each also attached with a dedicated docking station. Very easy to conduct tests with backup copies of various data files. Only when satisfied do they get considered for the main box.
Most utilize USB with the connectors based on the speed capabilities at time of manufacture. Key item for the end users is to determine what connectors they need for their existing devices. Type C output to a USB 2.0 for example. No proprietary software required.

My newest docking station is a 2-bay Sabrent. Each bay fully independent of the other so one can be formatting while the other is playing movie files. Can also be used to clone from one to the other independent of the computer. As you may have already guessed make moving files to another system as simple as plugging in a USB cord and putting grsync to work.
It sounds very capable. I will have to look into it.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:37 pm Is distro hopping a male thing, like channel hopping with a TV remote? :wink:
It must be, the eternal search for the ultimate distro.
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

The eternal search for a remote with a giant MUTE button.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Petermint wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:17 pm The eternal search for a remote with a giant MUTE button.
LOL HAHAHAHA! YES!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Ok, so a couple of distro questions for the new Lenovo when it arrives:

1) Fedora KDE- Anyone used it, and are there any pitfalls I need to be aware about this distro?

2) Mageia- Purely for nostalga's sake, since it is the heir to Mandrake Linux, my very first attempt at Linux.

3) MX Linux- Again, any pitfalls I need to be aware of in this distro?

4) Debian- probably testing or Debian 12 since I would like more modern packages. Debian veterans chime in here.

I will not dual boot, each distro will be added to the bare metal.
smawgmaw
Level 2
Level 2

Post by smawgmaw »

MurphCID wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:07 am Ok, so a couple of distro questions for the new Lenovo when it arrives:

1) Fedora KDE- Anyone used it, and are there any pitfalls I need to be aware about this distro?

2) Mageia- Purely for nostalga's sake, since it is the heir to Mandrake Linux, my very first attempt at Linux.

4) Debian- probably testing or Debian 12 since I would like more modern packages. Debian veterans chime in here.

1) Fedora-I have Fedora Mate multibooted with a few other distros on my laptops now and so far I like it after 2-3 days. I dont care for any distro with KDE even though I have tried a few.
3) MX Linux- I have the Fluxbox version with Xfce and Mate desktops added to it multibooted with Fedora, EndeavourOS, Manjaro, and Bodhi. Have been using it for over a year and very pleased with it.
5) EndeavourOS with Mate desktop, I really like this one and is my main go to distro for getting things accomplished fast!
6) Bodhi is a very "different animal" but fast and low usage on system resources and is based on Debian. Enlightment Moksha is the desktop environment.
7) Manjaro is good/okay but not up to par as EndeavourOS. Both are based on Arch.

These are just my opinions of what works for me and what I like.
chiefjim
Level 6
Level 6

Post by chiefjim »

Petermint wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:17 pm The eternal search for a remote with a giant MUTE button.
I'd settle for a "smart" mute button. One that would let me listen to a game being broadcast while blocking the talking heads telling me what my eyes are already seeing.
Gigabyte H370M D3H
Intel G3258
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

smawgmaw wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:30 pm
MurphCID wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:07 am Ok, so a couple of distro questions for the new Lenovo when it arrives:

1) Fedora-I have Fedora Mate multibooted with a few other distros on my laptops now and so far I like it after 2-3 days. I dont care for any distro with KDE even though I have tried a few.
3) MX Linux- I have the Fluxbox version with Xfce and Mate desktops added to it multibooted with Fedora, EndeavourOS, Manjaro, and Bodhi. Have been using it for over a year and very pleased with it.
5) EndeavourOS with Mate desktop, I really like this one and is my main go to distro for getting things accomplished fast!
6) Bodhi is a very "different animal" but fast and low usage on system resources and is based on Debian. Enlightment Moksha is the desktop environment.
7) Manjaro is good/okay but not up to par as EndeavourOS. Both are based on Arch.

These are just my opinions of what works for me and what I like.
Thank you for that information. Every bit of information helps make informed decisions.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

chiefjim wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:02 am
I'd settle for a "smart" mute button. One that would let me listen to a game being broadcast while blocking the talking heads telling me what my eyes are already seeing.
I want a mute button for life, and humanity.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Looks like a pretty good split, but most of us have or use a distro testing laptop. Hi, I'm Murph, and I have a laptop acquisition problem! I keep getting them, and I now have too many to use. I need to go to Gear Acquisition Anonymous.... :D
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:37 pm Is distro hopping a male thing, like channel hopping with a TV remote? :wink:
I think it just may be an example of male pattern OCD ...
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Hoser Rob wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:05 am
I think it just may be an example of male pattern OCD ...
LOL! That is SO true. Always looking for that perfect tool/car/laptop/etc.
151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

Every computer I have and I install and use Linux on is a distro testing computer.
Maybe one day I'll find a Linux disto that is the best Linux distro and use it.
Until that day happens I guess I will just hafta keep testing Linux distros.
Last year we said, 'Things can't go on like this', and they didn't, they got worse.
[Will Rogers]

There are two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither works.
[Will Rogers]

Return to “Open Chat”