BIOS upgrade death.... and resurrection

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

BIOS upgrade death.... and resurrection

Post by Pjotr »

One of my machines is a fairly new Lenovo Ideapad with a Ryzen 7 CPU. Sold with a pre-installed Windows 10, but dual booting with Mint 21. A couple of weeks ago I upgraded its Windows to 11, by means of a fresh install of said Windows.

Then I used the Lenovo Vantage tool in Windows 11, to check for a newer BIOS. Which was available. So I applied the BIOS upgrade according to the prescribed procedure. The result was..... a brick. :shock:

As the Lenovo warranty was still valid, I yanked out its SSD, dd'ed it full of zeroes for the sake of privacy, put it back and sent the machine to Lenovo for free repair. Got it back today.

According to the accompanying papers, they had not only replaced the motherboard, but.... also the SSD. Apparently an SSD without Windows and full of zeroes was beyond their comprehension. :lol:

Of course there was a Windows 10 on the SSD. Before upgrading it to 11 (and before re-creating a dual boot with Mint 21), I tried the BIOS upgrade again. Thankfully it succeeded without a hitch this time.

Anyway, I'm a happy camper: got my blazing fast machine back. With the latest BIOS. Can't help wondering what happened to that perfectly fine original SSD, though....
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Re: BIOS upgrade death.... and resurrection

Post by Termy »

Lol! Awesome.
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

Glad you have a working laptop again, next time I'd recommend against using the Vantage application. Either use the legacy support bridge tool or grab the BIOS executable file from pcsupport.lenovo.com instead and install at your leisure with all other programs closed It's more reliable to run the executable yourself than let Vantage attempt the same.

your perfectly fine SSD may at some point get checked thoroughly for errors, re-imaged and fitted to someone else's laptop if it passes muster as a refurbished original FRU.

Looking at the terms of my own Lenovo's warranty, if they cannot repair my laptop on-site they will send it away for repair and replace the nvme drive. I'd have to put it back in and take my two drives out then because it's currently inside this desktop PC :lol:
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
bbaker6212
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bbaker6212 »

Lenovo needs to fix this sh*t. They need to create some means of backup/restore a machine if a BIOS upgrade does not work.
It's crazy that they are shipping software that bricks someone's computer.
I'm running an old BIOS version on my Ideapad because of this. I'm not willing to risk bricking it.
Linux Mint XFCE 21.1 , Windows 11, Pop!_OS 22.04 Acer Aspire 5 A515-57 (linux-probe), Core i5-1235U, 16GB RAM
Lenovo Ideapad 330S-15IKB (linux-probe), Core i5-8250U, 20GB RAM
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

bbaker6212 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:04 am [...]
Flashing a BIOS/UEFI is always a big risk to the motherboard, unless you have a motherboard with what is essentially a physical factory reset switch for the BIOS. It's absolutely crucial that if you're going to flash your BIOS/UEFI, you use the correct file(s) for it, for specifically your model of motherboard. It's very easy to pick the wrong one, because you feel it's close enough. I would also not bother trying to flash a BIOS/UEFI unless the flashing is done via the BIOS/UEFI itself, because I don't trust any other method, especially if it's in Windows!
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Glad it ended well for you.

Return to “Open Chat”