A link to facebook is not useful

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

A link to facebook is not useful

Post by Petermint »

An organisation ran a training course with limited notes and the promise of a link to the full set of notes after the course. Instead they locked up the notes in Facebook. Somehow they just assumed everyone uses faceblob. Next they will tell me I can only access their Web site using Google Chrome. And why not limit it to users of Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 8GB. What happened to sharing?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Re: A link to facebook is not useful

Post by RollyShed »

Petermint wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:40 amAn organisation ran a training course with limited notes and the promise of a link to the full set of notes after the course. Instead they locked up the notes in Facebook.
Ask for your money back?
Did you take notes during the lectures?
Maybe offer to advertise their poor note handling and advise others not to be involved unless they sort things out?
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

That's very inept/bad behaviour especially if you paid for the course.

If they cannot send you the full notes via any other means (PDF to your email account or dropbox link/google drive link etc.) they do need publicly naming and shaming if they won't sort that mess out.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

True about public naming. In this case, I did not pay for the course. It would have been paid for by the city, as a public service, using our taxes. I sent them an email asking for a direct link. If they respond, I will not name them. Otherwise I will step the complaint up level by level and in the local media.

A long time ago, I had to join Facebork for one project and the only things posted by the other participants were adverts for their respective MLM businesses. :shock:
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

I'm really not sure why a professional corporation would be using Facebook for anything other than social outreach and marketing purposes. Sounds like total amateur-hour stuff to me.

WIth the new company I went to work for, they have extensive (and I mean extensive) internal documentation and KBs, but beyond that I took notes and then used Scribus to produce lined notebook pages (which I later 3HP'd and put in a binder) with typewritten versions of my notes plus some extra things we got at the end of training, and some other few things I picked up in the first few weeks with this company. I then saved that as a multi-page PDF and distributed that to the other members of my training class, and even gave a copy to my supervisor (who evidently was impressed). Well, be that as it may, I do have my standards, but yeah... if I can generate a PDF and ensure it gets distributed and I'm just one random dude and not a corporation... sure doesn't say very much for the company you're talking about, Petermint.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I totally agree, I block Fakebook completely via noScript, I do not want Zuckerberg sucking up my data. I had it at one point years ago, and got rid of it a long time ago. Do not miss it at all.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

This made me laugh this morning - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-62497674
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Yeh, saw that as well, think the background is the room you start in with an oculus rift. Sometimes they get it right.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

I hate it when people assume that everybody uses Facebook, or Google search, or Chrome. The internet and computing in general has gone to hell in a handbasket.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

I am fed up with people looking or speaking to me like I have some kind of mental deficiency because I don't follow them on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook or use TikTok or Whatsapp.

Yes I work in IT, it doesn't mean I have to use social media :lol:, the one I do use is Discord purely for communicating with a specific set of people mostly related to esports I compete in. The rest can jog on...
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

antikythera wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:31 am This made me laugh this morning -
It was on our radio news at lunchtime.
AI has certainly gone a long way when it can spot the truth like that. :D

Return to “Open Chat”