Totally off the wall idea

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Totally off the wall idea

Post by MurphCID »

I am watching Cowboy Bebop (the cartoon) on Netflix, and surfing the net, and an idea came up. Could you set up a Beowulf cluster using Raspberry Pi systems, or Intel Nucs? And what Linux operating system could you use to run one of these clusters? What would you use it for? Using inexpensive components, what could you do with such a computer? What would we use as storage?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Totally off the wall idea

Post by antikythera »

Debian, the name of the project says it all :D - https://warewulf.lbl.gov/
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
BwingBob
Level 3
Level 3

Post by BwingBob »

Pop_OS! 22.04 {Dell Inspiron 15 5510}
Linux Mint Cinnamon 21 {Minisforum UM700}
Pop_OS! Thelio Mira ;-)
We have met the enemy and he is us. - Pogo
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Interesting. Making it, what would you use it for? A 32 unit Beowulf cluster or a 64 unit cluster, what could it be used for in the real world? It appears that regular Debian could be used to run one.
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

MurphCID wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:32 pmMaking it, what would you use it for?
Here are 12 use cases....
https://turingpi.com/12-amazing-raspber ... use-cases/

13. If you make your cluster large enough you can use it to heat a room in your home. Not that heat is in short supply in Texas. :)
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

BenTrabetere wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:34 pm
MurphCID wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:32 pmMaking it, what would you use it for?
Here are 12 use cases....

13. If you make your cluster large enough you can use it to heat a room in your home. Not that heat is in short supply in Texas. :)
Nice, I wonder how some of these would work in actual real life practice? How would you use Linux to set one of these up? Would you have to treat each one as an individual computer, or could you treat it as a node or extra CPU? I've never done anything like this, so I have no idea.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

my gaming PC is a nice space heater, also there are companies that will pay you enough to cover electricity and data plan charges to host a storage rack in your property. the latter is all well and good if you have air-conditioning for the warmer months, otherwise they will just contribute to an already dire situation...
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

MurphCID wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:04 am
BenTrabetere wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:34 pm Here are 12 use cases....
Nice, I wonder how some of these would work in actual real life practice?
I think the only one with real-life application is the first one: Learn, experiment, upskill. (May there be a pox on the house of the person who was first to use the word upskill.) Most of the others remind me of a former neighbor's "projects."

He once built an elaborate, massive gravel sifter - it had an i-beam frame and an old riding lawnmower engine for power. He was doing his own landscaping, he needed pea gravel for his driveway, medium gravel for the walkways, and coarse gravel for the drip zone around his house. I told him the gravel pit will sift/sort it for him, he was convinced he could save money buying unsorted gravel and sorting it himself. I suspect building Raspberry Pi cluster for home automation will work out about as well as my former neighor's gravel sifter. :roll:
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

BenTrabetere wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:37 pm
MurphCID wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:04 am
BenTrabetere wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:34 pm Here are 12 use cases....
Nice, I wonder how some of these would work in actual real life practice?
I think the only one with real-life application is the first one: Learn, experiment, upskill. (May there be a pox on the house of the person who was first to use the word upskill.) Most of the others remind me of a former neighbor's "projects."

He once built an elaborate, massive gravel sifter - it had an i-beam frame and an old riding lawnmower engine for power. He was doing his own landscaping, he needed pea gravel for his driveway, medium gravel for the walkways, and coarse gravel for the drip zone around his house. I told him the gravel pit will sift/sort it for him, he was convinced he could save money buying unsorted gravel and sorting it himself. I suspect building Raspberry Pi cluster for home automation will work out about as well as my former neighor's gravel sifter. :roll:
You are probably correct :)

Return to “Open Chat”