Another shock horror bout with Windows

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Another shock horror bout with Windows

Post by Petermint »

Family! You have to support them even if they use Windows. :?

So a Windows user goes off to a Zoom meeting just a few minutes before the start. Click. Click........

ten minutes after the start of the zooming, I get this desperate call for help. Something went wrong. Zoom not working. The user, being a Windows user, has clicked away on random whatevers for a long time then asks me to fix it. :shock:

There is a window showing Zoom updating the software but the window is locked. Zoom is locked. Windows says the Zoom icon no longer connects to anything. The uninstall no longer works. Windows search no longer works.

The user asks "what do I do?". I say "choose option B". The user clicks anything but B. repeat. Repeat. I quit the scene. You cannot help people who refuse to do anything you say.

Desperate, the Windows user lets me take over the keyboard and I immediately reboot.

An install from scratch worked. Zoom only in this case. Not the whole of Windows.

The old rule about doing something on Windows. Allow 2 hours (days) to reinstall everything.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Another shock horror bout with Windows

Post by RollyShed »

Petermint wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:54 amAn install from scratch worked. Zoom only in this case. Not the whole of Windows.

The old rule about doing something on Windows. Allow 2 days to reinstall everything.
You didn't think of installing Linux, 8 minutes if slow, install ZOOM 30 seconds(?) and then tell them to carry on with their ZOOM call?

It might have proved something.... not sure what but something.
151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

Petermint wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:54 am Family! You have to support them even if they use Windows. :?
Agreed immediate family and the Wife are Windows 10 users rule number one keep the Wife happy.
Petermint wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:54 am There is a window showing Zoom updating the software
If the Windows 10 user keeps their computer regularly updated than this probably wouldn't have happened.
Can't blame the OS as the OS install update time can be set to a time when downloading and installing updates doesn't happen during normal user times.
Petermint wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:54 am The old rule about doing something on Windows. Allow 2 hours (days) to reinstall everything.
Haven't ever had any problems with Windows 10 downloading updates or installing updates.
I check for updates everyday and when updates are available than they are installed takes but a few minutes.

Most problems I've seen with Windows 10 are created by the lack of regular required normal maintenance by the Windows 10 user.

A dozen or more Windows 10 computers throughout the immediate family and no problems with any of them as they are kept updated and maintained on a regular bases by their users.
Last year we said, 'Things can't go on like this', and they didn't, they got worse.
[Will Rogers]

There are two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither works.
[Will Rogers]
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

You didn't think of installing Linux
Business computer.
If the Windows 10 user keeps their computer regularly updated
Windows automatically updates in the middle of the worst possible moment. It detects when you are on a business trip at a remote location with 5 bytes per second dial up then sneaks in a major update. :twisted:
as they are kept updated and maintained on a regular bases by their users
The user who presses A when specifically told to press B.

Return to “Open Chat”