Mobile phone query.

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
fluidity
Level 1
Level 1

Mobile phone query.

Post by fluidity »

Hi. I don't use a smartphone and I never will do, so i am not best placed to help my daughter out here. I live in the U.K. and my daughter lives in Greece. She has worked from her home in Greece for a while now, due to all things Covid, and she wants to visit me soon and to continue working from my home in the U.K.. However, since she last visited me, when she also did some work from my house, she says that her work system has now changed.

She says that there is an additional security measure in place and she can no longer just log in on her laptop. She begins the log in process on her laptop, then she gets emailed a code to her Outlook that she has to access via her smartphone. The problem is that she reckons her smartphone doesn't always have reliable reception where I live. She says that she can't take any chances with not being able to log on for work. I hope that I have understood everything properly. Anyone have any thoughts? Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Mobile phone query.

Post by antikythera »

You have an internet router provided by your ISP? She logs her phone into your wireless network on that router and her outlook can then sync. over that. That's what my Brother does when he visits us.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
fluidity
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fluidity »

I have an internet router, but not one provided by my ISP. Shouldn't be any sort of problem, should it? I presume you were just checking that I had an internet router.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

yeah that's fine as long as it has wireless, just give her the password to log in with, and the wireless network ID to choose from the detected ones on her phone and she should be good to go
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

fluidity wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:34 pm She says that there is an additional security measure in place and she can no longer just log in on her laptop. She begins the log in process on her laptop, then she gets emailed a code to her Outlook that she has to access via her smartphone. The problem is that she reckons her smartphone doesn't always have reliable reception where I live. She says that she can't take any chances with not being able to log on for work. I hope that I have understood everything properly. Anyone have any thoughts? Thank you.
There are two major programs used for what is known broadly as two-factor and multi-factor authentication (2FA, MFA). Those programs are Duo Mobile and Microsoft Authenticator. Once set up, it matters little if your phone is getting cellular data or WiFi data, so long as it is getting one of those. Pretty much all the major U.S. universities use one or the other, and I assume more and more companies are implementing them as well, particularly if those companies have remotely-accessible assets (like corporate email, various servers used for operational activities like HR, time clocks, etc.)
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
fluidity
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fluidity »

antikythera wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:36 pm yeah that's fine as long as it has wireless, just give her the password to log in with, and the wireless network ID to choose from the detected ones on her phone and she should be good to go
Yes, all ok in the end. She does fret a lot. I told her that we would surely find a solution or some sort of workaround, but she still makes you question your own existence. Hopefully, your bro isn't as bad as she is. Ha ha. :lol:

Portreve wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:28 pm There are two major programs used for what is known broadly as two-factor and multi-factor authentication (2FA, MFA). Those programs are Duo Mobile and Microsoft Authenticator. Once set up, it matters little if your phone is getting cellular data or WiFi data, so long as it is getting one of those. Pretty much all the major U.S. universities use one or the other, and I assume more and more companies are implementing them as well, particularly if those companies have remotely-accessible assets (like corporate email, various servers used for operational activities like HR, time clocks, etc.)
Thank you for the input.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

fluidity wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:51 pm Hopefully, your bro isn't as bad as she is. Ha ha. :lol:
No, if anything he's too trusting and it's landed him in trouble before now on multiple occasions.

Return to “Open Chat”