"How Google is KILLING your AD BLOCKERS and tracker blockers with Manifest v3" - The Linux Experiment

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Midnight True
Level 7
Level 7

"How Google is KILLING your AD BLOCKERS and tracker blockers with Manifest v3" - The Linux Experiment

Post by Midnight True »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KWCLhHrblE

So sad ... more reason to ditch google and stick with firefox folks

Note: Edited the title to rectify misspelled "Expirement" :lol: sorry my bad
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: "How Google is KILLING your AD BLOCKERS and tracker blockers with Manifest v3" - The Linux Expirement

Post by all41 »

Midnight True wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:20 am https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KWCLhHrblE

Absolutely,
report your findings here
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Midnight True
Level 7
Level 7

Re: "How Google is KILLING your AD BLOCKERS and tracker blockers with Manifest v3" - The Linux Expirement

Post by Midnight True »

all41 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:54 am Absolutely,
report your findings here
I'll do my best
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Re: "How Google is KILLING your AD BLOCKERS and tracker blockers with Manifest v3" - The Linux Experiment

Post by Portreve »

Sehr interessant...

Well, I walked away from Chrome a long time ago, and where there are sites which don't play nice with Firefox, I just don't use them (none actually come to mind, but if there were any, then that's what I'd do) so there.

There was a time when I just couldn't use Firefox. I think we all remember those days a few years ago when FF had just gone to crap. Fortunately, Mozilla got things turned around and now FF is objectively one of the best browsers in existence.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: "How Google is KILLING your AD BLOCKERS and tracker blockers with Manifest v3" - The Linux Experiment

Post by Pierre »

for those that Don't Know:
So .. Is Firefox Chromium based?

Firefox is not based on Chromium (the open source browser project at the core of Google Chrome). In fact, we’re one of the last major browsers that isn’t. Firefox runs on our Quantum browser engine built specifically for Firefox, so we can ensure your data is handled respectfully and kept private.

Is Chrome better than Firefox?

No, we don’t think Chrome is better than Firefox, and here is why: when people ask which browser is better, they’re really asking which browser is faster and safer. Firefox is updated monthly to make sure you have the speediest browser that respects your privacy automatically.

From the Firefox Web Site .. itself
- do you use the Firefox Browser, instead ?
and is it also used with Manifest v3 . . .
https://www.extension.ninja/blog/post/m ... 3-support/
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Midnight True
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Midnight True »

Pierre wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:07 am From the Firefox Web Site .. itself
- do you use the Firefox Browser, instead ?
and is it also used with Manifest v3 . . .
https://www.extension.ninja/blog/post/m ... 3-support/
Indeed.. this is the reason why google's monopoly is so bad, smaller guys needs to bend to big guys for survival 😞

after some searching apple and its safari said
Apple does not discuss the future plans here about the Safari extension platform such as Manifest v3. However, they did announce that they joined the W3 Browser Extension Community Group. That is the group to standardize extension on all web browsers (that include Google, Microsoft, Firefox, and now Apple). https://www.w3.org/community/browserext/
Source: https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/685530

I guess major browsers are making an OPEC+ style cartel!
Marie SWE
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Marie SWE »

Midnight True wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:20 am https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KWCLhHrblE

:mrgreen: I love the contradiction in this post. :mrgreen:
Ditch google, but look at this google page(youtube) :lol:
if you want my attention...quote me so I get a notification
Nothing is impossible, the impossible just takes a little longer to solve..
It is like it is.. because you do as you do.. if you hadn't done it as you did.. it wouldn't have become as it is. ;)
Midnight True
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Midnight True »

Marie SWE wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:58 am :mrgreen: I love the contradiction in this post. :mrgreen:
:lol: Indeed :lol: i guess better late than never! https://yewtu.be/watch?v=8KWCLhHrblE :lol:
Marie SWE
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Marie SWE »

Midnight True wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:03 am
Marie SWE wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:58 am :mrgreen: I love the contradiction in this post. :mrgreen:
:lol: Indeed :lol: i guess better late than never! https://yewtu.be/watch?v=8KWCLhHrblE :lol:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

however, it is nice to see others start talking about the big five data sucking vampire company's. 8)
I have talked about Privacy since the beginning when they started to collect data from their users.
I will follow this thread. so keep it up. 8)
if you want my attention...quote me so I get a notification
Nothing is impossible, the impossible just takes a little longer to solve..
It is like it is.. because you do as you do.. if you hadn't done it as you did.. it wouldn't have become as it is. ;)
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Marie SWE wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:58 am

:mrgreen: I love the contradiction in this post. :mrgreen:
Good one :P
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

This is very concerning.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

That's what FreeTube is for. 8)

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

Besides my Linux computers, I have a Chromebook + an Android phone -- so I'm already in Google's world! :shock:

I do use Firefox for banking and e-commerce, along with Vivaldi for some specific sites.
Using Mint as primary OS since 2006.
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

Portreve wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:44 amWell, I walked away from Chrome a long time ago, and where there are sites which don't play nice with Firefox, I just don't use them (none actually come to mind, but if there were any, then that's what I'd do) so there.
Our IRD (tax department) website doesn't work properly because their staff can't write web code properly. So stuck with using Chromium to get it to work.

I've done a number of websites and don't have any problem but "professionals" just can't get it right.
iliketrains
Level 4
Level 4

Post by iliketrains »

This won't be a popular opinion here but... imo reasonable ads are a fair trade for content. I only began ad-blocking in the last year-or-so as too many websites abused the privilege(?) of placing ads on my screen. Now the blocker is on full-time, even for bloggers who deserve a few pennies.
Google should go after the abusers instead of causing problems for the users.
Midnight True
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Midnight True »

iliketrains wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:39 pm This won't be a popular opinion here but... imo reasonable ads are a fair trade for content. I only began ad-blocking in the last year-or-so as too many websites abused the privilege(?) of placing ads on my screen. Now the blocker is on full-time, even for bloggers who deserve a few pennies.
+1

However, to my knowledge, aside from taking huge share of the ads revenue compared to the host bloggers, google also use the meta-data collected via adsense for their big data aspect of their business :(
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

iliketrains wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:39 pm This won't be a popular opinion here but... imo reasonable ads are a fair trade for content. I only began ad-blocking in the last year-or-so as too many websites abused the privilege(?) of placing ads on my screen. Now the blocker is on full-time, even for bloggers who deserve a few pennies.
I agree, I have no issues with reasonable ads, but I have been abused, so I block everything now since the ad companies got greedy.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

I tired to be "fair to the advertisers"

but, they quickly made me rue that decision, and I went back to full on Ad blocking

I read about FreeTube tonight, and installed that.

it is soooo sweet, to be able to enjoy watching my favorite people run the Rock Crusher Jeeps over the rocks in southern Utah and East Tennessee without being bombarded with a five minute advert on Tampons.... :|

I have no clue how a Tampon is going to be useful to me :roll:
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
ricardogroetaers
Level 6
Level 6

Post by ricardogroetaers »

Interesting, the video host criticizes ad blocker blocking but announces his "fish" in the video itself and doesn't get into the subject matter of the video, at least as far as I could bear to watch this litany.

Here the ad blocker works for most sites.
If some site "tells" me to disable the blocker if I want to see the content of the site and the content is not of vital importance to me, I walk away.

Internet sites don't pay my bills or put food on my table.
jmorris84
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jmorris84 »

As much as we try to avoid Google, Facebook, and others, my PiHole logs tell me that it is virtually impossible to rid ourselves of them completely. Their tools and tracking services are imbedded on sites everywhere.

Return to “Open Chat”