Really bummed out - broken screen and now the kybd is kaput

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Really bummed out - broken screen and now the kybd is kaput

Post by AZgl1800 »

I have a very Expensive ASUS TUF Gaming laptop, paid ovvvver a kilobuck for it, because I wanted a Non-Reflectivve screen and a super fast machine....

that was just 3 seasons ago, last week, I opened the lid and the back of the screen broke just abovve the hinge, diagonal at a 45 degree angle.... okay, at piece of ABS and some glue will fix that, looks be damned

now the keyboard has crapped out,

6 of the keys either will not register, or they repeat about sixx times

I am leavvving the mistakes in to show how bad the kybd is,
the XXX key usually will not register at all unless I pound on it HARD

looking at new laptops is scaring me bad, I cccan't afford 2 kilobucks to replacce this one.

I hate using a desktop, it hurts my baccck to sit in a ccchair and lean forwwward

argh!!!!

ASUS says the keyboard is exxxxtinct, "gaogun" in ccccchina has it for $49 but does not havve any of the supporting hardware with it, just the mylard keybard
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Really bummed out - broken screen and now the kybd is kaput

Post by antikythera »

last week, I opened the lid and the back of the screen broke just abovve the hinge, diagonal at a 45 degree angle.... okay, at piece of ABS and some glue will fix that, looks be damned
I've also seen it numerous times with other ASUS laptops over the years so I'm sorry to say reading your post didn't come as a massive shock.

3 seasons would tell me it's still under warranty, so have them repair or replace the broken components at their cost. Don't let them charge you!
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

by 3 seasons, I meant 3 years, the warranty is for one year

come November it will be 3 full years old for me.
guess time flitters fast for us youngsters, I am now in my "80th season"

Code: Select all

Type: Laptop System: ASUSTeK product: TUF Gaming FX705GM_FX705GM v: 1.0 serial: <filter> 
           Mobo: ASUSTeK model: FX705GM v: 1.0 serial: <filter> UEFI: American Megatrends v: FX705GM.307 date: 05/25/2020 

So, the dern thing is 5 years, 7 months past the 2nd BIOS update, so it is right at six years old now.
dam piece of crap, ought to last me at least 20 years for how much I paid for it :x

12 of the keypads are just a White Out, no lettering visible at all.
if I were not a Touch typist, the keyboard would be useless

in fact it is, 7 of the keys no longer register when pressed... I use an external USB kybd now
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by RIH »

I had an Asus laptop a few years ago that the keyboard went the same way.
It carried on for another 3 years using a cheap USB plug in keyboard.
Then the screen went so it was consigned to the bin...
Marie SWE
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Marie SWE »

AZgl1800 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:45 pm by 3 seasons, I meant 3 years, the warranty is for one year

come November it will be 3 full years old for me.
guess time flitters fast for us youngsters, I am now in my "80th season"

Code: Select all

Type: Laptop System: ASUSTeK product: TUF Gaming FX705GM_FX705GM v: 1.0 serial: <filter> 
           Mobo: ASUSTeK model: FX705GM v: 1.0 serial: <filter> UEFI: American Megatrends v: FX705GM.307 date: 05/25/2020 

So, the dern thing is 5 years, 7 months past the 2nd BIOS update, so it is right at six years old now.
dam piece of crap, ought to last me at least 20 years for how much I paid for it :x

12 of the keypads are just a White Out, no lettering visible at all.
if I were not a Touch typist, the keyboard would be useless

in fact it is, 7 of the keys no longer register when pressed... I use an external USB kybd now
I have ordered spare parts for 10year old hardware.. i don't know if that is a sweden luxury.. but i think not. :D

I did find this a little fast
109€ https:// en.accessoires-asus.com/fx705gm-67291-63813.htm
Edit: Better link: https://www.asusparts.eu/en/asus/notebo ... 5gm?page=4

I mostly buy directly from the manufacturers when I repair computers.. or from one local company here in sweden that is specialized on hardware for repair businesses,
Three years is nothing, that has to be spare parts out there for your laptop. (EDIT, I just saw you wrote 6years) oh well.. it should be doable.
Asus isn't directly a small brand with only a few sales a year, so there should be OEM spare parts to get hold of.. some service centers does most likely have it laying on there shelves.
if you want my attention...quote me so I get a notification
Nothing is impossible, the impossible just takes a little longer to solve..
It is like it is.. because you do as you do.. if you hadn't done it as you did.. it wouldn't have become as it is. ;)
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

AZgl1800 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:26 pm I have a very Expensive ASUS TUF Gaming laptop, paid ovvvver a kilobuck for it, because I wanted a Non-Reflectivve screen and a super fast machine....

ASUS says the keyboard is exxxxtinct, "gaogun" in ccccchina has it for $49 but does not havve any of the supporting hardware with it, just the mylard keybard
WOW! I am sorry to see that you have this issue. I have sent you a PM.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Any luck on repairs or replacement? They are having a sale: https://system76.com/laptops/oryx
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

MurphCID wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:46 am Any luck on repairs or replacement? They are having a sale: https://system76.com/laptops/oryx
this killed me before I read the rest of the page:
Starting at $2,198.00

My Suburban is in the shop to get the Rear Axle replaced :evil: :?

that slammed the wallet pretty bad already, the cookie jar is empty already, because I bought some "neat toys" last month.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

AZgl1800 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:22 pm
MurphCID wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:46 am Any luck on repairs or replacement? They are having a sale: https://system76.com/laptops/oryx
this killed me before I read the rest of the page:
Starting at $2,198.00

My Suburban is in the shop to get the Rear Axle replaced :evil: :?

that slammed the wallet pretty bad already, the cookie jar is empty already, because I bought some "neat toys" last month.
I totally understand, this month has been "money pit" month for us. Checking the sofa for coins.. :D
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

There's always certified refurbished - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304570139326 ... media=COPY

This Certified Refurbished unit is covered under a 2-year hardware warranty from Allstate. This computer is also covered by Lenovo Warranty Repair Service until July, 2023. It can also be upgraded directly through Lenovo.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

Laptops are a disposable appliance made to last so many years and then time to buy another.

The only laptops I've seen take abuse and survive are Panasonic tough books built to be used in the field.

When the Wife used laptops didn't matter about 3 years before the battery took a crap and next seemed to be flaky keys on the keyboard and yep had the broken display on many laptops that seems to be a how the user opens it thing imo.
Last year we said, 'Things can't go on like this', and they didn't, they got worse.
[Will Rogers]

There are two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither works.
[Will Rogers]
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

151tom wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:52 pm Laptops are a disposable appliance made to last so many years and then time to buy another.

The only laptops I've seen take abuse and survive are Panasonic tough books built to be used in the field.

When the Wife used laptops didn't matter about 3 years before the battery took a crap and next seemed to be flaky keys on the keyboard and yep had the broken display on many laptops that seems to be a how the user opens it thing imo.
I worked for Phx Fire Dept 20 years in the 911 IT Dispatch group,
I installed 100s of those Panasonic Toughbooks.....

the downside, is the small screen size for me....
I need a 17 inch screen
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

antikythera wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:56 pm There's always certified refurbished - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304570139326 ... media=COPY

This Certified Refurbished unit is covered under a 2-year hardware warranty from Allstate. This computer is also covered by Lenovo Warranty Repair Service until July, 2023. It can also be upgraded directly through Lenovo.
I like that one, but at $1349 the cost is too high for me today.

I am going to have to suffer it out, until the Cookie Jar can be refilled :twisted:

went back and looked hard at that but..............

US $1,349.00
+ US $53.72
+ US $305.17 import charges
(£283.22)
International Priority Shipping

that puts it up at about $1725ish to my door. :(
151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

AZgl1800 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:35 pm
151tom wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:52 pm Laptops are a disposable appliance made to last so many years and then time to buy another.

I worked for Phx Fire Dept 20 years in the 911 IT Dispatch group,
I installed 100s of those Panasonic Toughbooks.....

the downside, is the small screen size for me....
I need a 17 inch screen
Yep we used them at the state department when I worked for them and the small screen is okay for young folks with good eyes however us old folks in my 70s need to have a large display which is one reason I prefer a desktop with a large monitor.

I believe a cheap laptop is the best choice that way after 3 years or so when you start having having problems just shoot it full of bullet holes and go out and buy another cheap laptop.

We buy cheap $150.00 / $200.00 TVs last several years and when they crap out we toss them to the curb and go buy another $150.00 / $200.00 TV hell there ain't nothing worth watching on TV anyway so why spend a lot of money on one.
Last year we said, 'Things can't go on like this', and they didn't, they got worse.
[Will Rogers]

There are two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither works.
[Will Rogers]
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

AZgl1800 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:38 pm that puts it up at about $1725ish to my door. :(
it was just an example, there should be similar available in the US without the import taxes etc.

Keep saving and stay safe
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

151tom wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:19 pm
We buy cheap $150.00 / $200.00 TVs last several years and when they crap out we toss them to the curb and go buy another $150.00 / $200.00 TV hell there ain't nothing worth watching on TV anyway so why spend a lot of money on one.
This reminds me of our last TV, I dropped it while trying to hang it on the wall, lower right corner hit the floor. ugh.

over the next few weeks, the right side of the screen started Disappearing...
when that dark band reached 2 inches, I noted there was a sale on for a new Samsung 44" that would fit our pantry cabinet.... so I bought it.

stuffed the old TV in the box and set it on the curb.
someone got a working TV, with 95% of the screen still working

Return to “Open Chat”