COVID-19 infection: how did your sickness process go?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

COVID-19 infection: how did your sickness process go?

Post by Pjotr »

Might be interesting to share our personal experiences with COVID-19 infection.

I'll start with mine: first time, still ongoing.

Worth noting: had two Pfizer shots in 2021 (no booster shots). Sidenote: please let's not turn this into a fruitless debate about vaccines. Let's simply talk about our own COVID-19 infections. :wink:

First day of symptoms: Wednesday, September 21.
General feeling of exhaustion. Didn't ascribe it to COVID yet, but to the aftermath of an emotional roller coaster in the previous days.

Slept badly.

Second day: Thursday, September 22.
Exhaustion coupled with cold shivers, slight throat ache and occasional headaches. It dawned on me that there might be a connection with COVID (I have my bright moments). Did a self test and hit the jackpot. Didn't even have to wait for 30 minutes, the test line showed immediately....

Scheduled an official test at a government test centre at the same day, and got the result in the evening. Positive. No surprise.

Sleep was not too bad, thanks to coughing syrup with codeine. Needed an extra blanket to keep me warm, though.

Third day: Friday, September 23. Somewhat less exhaustion, noticeably less cold shivers, but dizziness entered the arena. Could still walk normally though, but had to be careful how to put my feet down.

Slept well thanks to coughing syrup.

Fourth day: Saturday, September 24. Even less exhaustion, and noticeably decreased dizziness. Sporadic moments of normal energy level. Throat noticeably better, but.... snot enters the scene: my nose is full of it now. Occasional sneezing. Have applied nose spray with xylometazoline in order to (try to) have a good night's sleep.

Off to bed now, as it's nearly midnight here.

Fifth day: Sunday, September 25. Slept well. No more nasal congestion, only still a slightly running nose. A hardly perceptible dizziness remains, but that can also be my imagination. Smell and taste are largely back. Throat almost better, but not quite. Energy level back to, say, some 90 %.

Sixth day: Monday, September 26. Partial throwback; running nose, dizziness. Taste and smell completely gone. Somewhat better in the evening.

Seventh day: Tuesday, September 27. Overall much better. Lingering slight tiredness; energy level not above some 90 % of normal level. Taste and smell have returned a bit, but only for a bit.

Additional measures:
For over two years I've been taking a daily dose of vitamin pills, in order to increase my disease resistance. Containing vitamin D3, selenium, zinc and vitamin C. Not in exaggerated dosages, but in quantities designed to prevent deficiencies.

From the beginning of my infection I've monitored the oxygen saturation of my blood a couple of times a day, even though that doesn't appear to be as useful as it was for earlier versions of the bug (omikron doesn't get into the lungs that easily). Anyway, the pulsoximeter consistently showed normal values, between 96 and 98 %.

Likewise for my body temperature: this was normal on all days. No fever at any time.

Preliminary conclusion:
My COVID-19 infection was pretty nasty, especially on the second day. No fun at all. But not nastier than a stiff dose of the ordinary flu. And it seems to pass a lot quicker than the ordinary flu does. I'm glad that I got the omikron variety and not the earlier varieties, which were considerably more brutal.

I'll keep you posted by updating this post if there are unexpected new developments, but it looks like there isn't much to tell anymore.

Please share your own experiences!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 7 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Re: COVID-19 infection: how did your sickness process go?

Post by AZgl1800 »

about 3rd week July this year.
caught it from a young girl coughing badly in a restaurant, the parents refused to take her outside

a week later, I had the symptoms, took a CV-19 test, it was positive.
went to hospital and took an IV Antibodies shot....
3 days of really tired,
3 weeks of lingering coughing and just in general feeling tired

kept working outside though, had to, was taking care of horses, llamas and chickens, they come first before you eat or sleep

4 weeks ago, feeling good, cough hanging on
2 weeks ago, the cough went away

today, I am good as rain.

I have not, and never will take one of the MRA shots.
Last edited by SMG on Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed commentary about a vaccine.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Similar to yours, but I had:

Tiredness over the course of several days.
Fever, peaking at day 3 at 101F
Coughing, still have the lingering COVID cough
Heavy congestion on days 2-3
Slight vertigo on day 2/3
Sinus infection on days 5-6-7.
Horrible, and I mean horrible body aches for three days, it hurt to sit, it hurt to stand, it hurt to walk, it hurt to turn my head.

The first day I really did not notice it, then day 2, 3 and 4 I felt like a really bad case of the flu. Day 5 felt pretty decent except for the sinus infection, after day 7 I was back to normal except for the COVID cough which lingered on for three weeks. Spouse Unit said I was whiny, I told her it was because I was sicker than she was, she had no sympathy....
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Moderator note: While it is fine to state whether or not you have had a vaccine, please do not make comments, positive or negative, about vaccines. Vaccine commentary will be removed.

Please keep your posts focused on describing your illness.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

All vaccinations available had been taken.
March(?) this year, climbing (50+ft ?) up a steep path from the beach to our holiday home, really, really out of breath. Yes, could be age but more noticeable than usual.
Did a test a couple of days later when back home.
Yes, positive.
Had a couple of hours sleep during one afternoon.
Breathlessness seems to be back to normal on that climb.

Yes, coughing this morning during morning tea, most probably due to a biscuit crumb.

My partner, who I caught it from and she from a friend's kid, slept in the afternoons at least 3 days.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Moderator note: Off-topic post discussing a common cold experience has been removed. This topic is specifically about COVID sickness.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Caught COVID in November 2020. Vaccines weren't a thing yet.

Friday afternoon at work I started feeling like I had no energy.

Saturday: felt basically alright, just tired.

Sunday morning: Had several symptoms. Dizziness, beginning of a fever, and a headache that felt like my head was in a shrinking helmet.

Monday: Full blown fever of 101 point something, super tired, headache, and start of not being able to smell nor taste. Slept most of the entire day.

Tuesday: Basically a repeat of Monday but all symptoms started subsiding except the loss of smell/taste. Slept most of the day.

Wednesday: No symptoms at all and felt ok except a continued loss of smell/taste that lasted about a week. No long term effects.

This was the first and only time I had COVID.
ricardogroetaers
Level 6
Level 6

Post by ricardogroetaers »

Whether I got Covid, I don't know.
I never took a test.
Vaccination up to date as I showed in another thread.
1st and 2nd doses -> Oxford/Astrazenica/FioCruz
3rd dose (booster) -> Pfizer/Biontech
4th dose (booster) -> Jansen
Coggy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Coggy »

1st and 2nd doses -> AstraZeneca
3rd dose (booster) -> Pfizer
Got Covid 9 months after the booster.
Day 1: Felt a little rough, sore throat
Day 2: Felt awful, uncontrollable shivering, very tired, hard to think. But the forehead thermometer said I was less than 1 degree above my norm. Odd.
Day 3: Very tired, stayed in bed again.
Day 4: Almost back to normal, just a bit tired and slow thinking.
Day 5: Less tired, more alert than yesterday.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

All shots were Pfizer ones (initial, second, and booster). Each one produced a very mild reaction (ergo: I know my immune system is functioning :lol: )

I did get it during the course of my last job, but it's impossible to know for certain precisely where or precisely from whom.

Symptoms for me were exactly those of a very mild cold. I think my highest temperature was a little north of 100.1°F (37,8°C) and that was just for a few hours.

I'm aware a lot of people had it far worse than I, and I'm really grateful that things worked out as they did.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
mediclaser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mediclaser »

I've had it 2 years ago. It lasted more than 2 weeks and there's been a lingering side effect. Four of my relatives who first got it were not as fortunate, because they all died at the hospital. That prompted the rest of us who got infected later on to just rest at home. We have had terrible experiences enduring the sickness at home but at least we survived, unlike the ones who were taken to hospital.
If you're looking for a greener Linux pasture, you won't find any that is greener than Linux Mint. ;)
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Of it all, I think the body aches were the worst part. The chest congestion was nasty, but the aches were the worst.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

mediclaser wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:11 am I've had it 2 years ago. It lasted more than 2 weeks and there's been a lingering side effect. Four of my relatives who first got it were not as fortunate, because they all died at the hospital. That prompted the rest of us who got infected later on to just rest at home. We have had terrible experiences enduring the sickness at home but at least we survived, unlike the ones who were taken to hospital.
so sorry to learn of your family's suffering. :(

All of my family, son, daughter and myself, avoid doctors and hospitals like the plague.

as of today, I have totally recovered from my CV experience and feel very good.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Well, in any case I'm very glad that I'm officially allowed to resume my normal social life again. The loneliness caused by the obligatory 5-day quarantine is no small thing.

I've beaten the bloody bug.... Now I'm going to cut down on the expensive vitamin supplements that I've been swallowing daily for over two years; vitamin D3 (the most important and the cheapest) is the only one I'll keep taking. :mrgreen:

Weight is also something that plays a role. I had a fine BMI before the infection, but during the infection I lost some 1 or 2 kilos of weight. A bit too much weight loss, even though my BMI is still in the green zone; so I'm eating a bit extra starch and fat to regain my previous weight. French fries and mayonnaise are my helpers here.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I found that for the four of us (my whole family had it), that the following regimen helped us: Zicam (Zinc strips- the cherry flavor is yuck), Muscinex (congestion), D3, Zinc, and two multi-vitamins twice a day. Plus lots and lots of fluids.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

My wife takes immuno-depressants so we went through a drive-thru testing facility in November before vaccines.
My test was positive, my wife's negative.
I was completely asymptomatic before and during and after the 10 day quarantine period-
no fever, not even a sniffle. I kept a vigil with thermometer, oximeter, and blood pressure but nothing.
I was out trimming trees and other yard work so no tiredness.
no jinx pls
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

10th day after first symptoms: still decreased smell and taste, plus still a somewhat lower energy level than usual. My voice has a more nasal sound than usual, as well.

Strange how this seems to linger for so long, without further disease symptoms. One would expect to be 100 % recovered much sooner.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Pjotr wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:14 pm 10th day after first symptoms: still decreased smell and taste, plus still a somewhat lower energy level than usual. My voice has a more nasal sound than usual, as well.

Strange how this seems to linger for so long, without further disease symptoms. One would expect to be 100 % recovered much sooner.
I (and the family) must have gotten lucky on the taste/smell part, we never had an issue with that. I am glad you are better.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

MurphCID wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:35 pm
Pjotr wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:14 pm 10th day after first symptoms: still decreased smell and taste, plus still a somewhat lower energy level than usual. My voice has a more nasal sound than usual, as well.

I (and the family) must have gotten lucky on the taste/smell part, we never had an issue with that. I am glad you are better.
I still can't smell anything, unless it is very strong, like that skunk I shot a few weeks back....
he got his vengeance in, I forgot to put on Ear Protection and lost my hearing for a month, just today, it is coming back a little bit...
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

AZgl1800 wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:06 pm I still can't smell anything, unless it is very strong
Helps me to keep my weight down, though.... Less food temptations. :lol:

Since my COVID-19 infection, I lost almost two kilos of body weight. My BMI dropped from 21.8 to 21.3.

Return to “Open Chat”