Anyone using Rexx ?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
benali72
Level 4
Level 4

Anyone using Rexx ?

Post by benali72 »

Anyone here scripting with Rexx?

I've been using Regina Rexx out of the standard repository for some time. Mainly for text processing tasks.

I just wanted to mention that membership in the Rexx Language Association is now free (previously $24/year). It's a good place to get your Rexx questions answered.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
benali72
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Anyone using Rexx ?

Post by benali72 »

Wow, nobody but me? I use Bash when I need to do something in the shell, and Rexx when it's more of an application development situation. I like them both... Bash for its power (esp regular expressions), and Rexx cause it's easy to remember. Cheers.
cfb
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cfb »

Well, I am not using REXX these days, but used it a lot at work some 30 years ago. That was on an IBM mainframe running the MVS operating system. REXX was the new scripting language in the TSO environment at that time and we used it to build utilities for use when developing programs in COBOL.
As far as I know, REXX is still used on z/OS (successor to MVS) but I am no longer working in the mainframe environment.
Back in those days I really enjoyed coding in REXX.

Nowadays, I would not pick REXX as the scripting language on Linux when other, and in my opinion better, alternatives are avaiable, such as Python.
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

I have not used Rexx in years. I used it a lot when I used OS/2 - it was the macro language for Mesa/2 Spreadsheet, and the two together could do some amazing stuff for the time. I also used it in the vastly under-rated IBM Works to pull queries from an AS/400 into the database application, and then pull it into the spreadsheet application for further mangling. I think I also used it in Describe word processor.

Then OS/2 died and I moved to WinXP.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022

Return to “Open Chat”