You know you are not 30 anymore when...

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

You know you are not 30 anymore when...

Post by MurphCID »

You decide to do something simple that you have been doing for the past 60+ years, and you end up pulling your back doing it. The mind says I am 30, the body however....
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Re: You know you are not 30 anymore when...

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Shoot, I saw 30 for the second time over a decade ago. It sucks having skills and being too old and decrepit to use them.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

MurphCID wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:47 amYou decide to do something simple that you have been doing for the past 60+ years, and you end up pulling your back doing it.
Back problems? That was back when I was 40, now twice the age (yes, 80) I don't have back problems.
Incidentally the real cure I found was sea kayaking for an hour or two. The sitting up and doing body rotation (as you do if paddling properly) got things back in line.
Knee problem? That was due to kicking a soccer ball with a bent leg so don't do that. Also when riding a bicycle, make sure the seat is high enough, and yes, at least 10 km (should be twice that) every second day. Got to go and get the groceries some how.
151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

In my 70s and can't do everything I used to do and what I still can do just takes longer to do. :lol:

The Wife and I ride bicycles quite a bit it sure beats walking and it's a whole lot more fun. :wink:

I'm thankful to be given the gift of every new day to complain about my aches and pains. :D
Last year we said, 'Things can't go on like this', and they didn't, they got worse.
[Will Rogers]

There are two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither works.
[Will Rogers]
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

You're in a restaurant being served by a waitress named after a pop song you grew up with?

Her name was Rio, but she served in a Pizza Hut.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

Portreve wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:11 pm You're in a restaurant being served by a waitress named after a pop song you grew up with?

Her name was Rio, but she served in a Pizza Hut.
To pile on Portreve's observation....
Songs you were told would rot your brain are now used in TV commercials, like the current Goodyear commercial or the Pampers diaper commercial from last year that use a Steppenwolf tune(Magic Carpet Ride and Born to be Wild, respectively) to hawk their wares. Something inside me dies almost every time something like that happens. I still smile when I think about the Pepsi commercial from a decade ago. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOOmu1Rz17Y
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Didn't have back problems until I fell of the scaffolding a couple of weeks back, was putting a new roof on the conservatory. Nothing broken, but I still have muscles I didn't know I had. Maybe at 70 I should be thinking of getting others to do this sort of work.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

your Back Hurts and you have to sit on the Computer Chair
in order to relieve the ache . .
:(
and everyone wonders, why you spend so much Time on the Laptop.
:mrgreen:
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

AndyMH wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:10 pm Didn't have back problems until I fell of the scaffolding a couple of weeks back, was putting a new roof on the conservatory. Nothing broken, but I still have muscles I didn't know I had. Maybe at 70 I should be thinking of getting others to do this sort of work.
Back injuries come when you're least expecting them, and they can sometimes take ages to make their presence known.

I did some research before picking my chiropractor. I happen to be a very big fan of the Gonstead school of Chiropractic. If you search on YouTube for "Dr. Rahim" you will understand why I suggest it.

Jeff13
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Jeff13 »

Paul Simon was over 30 when he wrote the song. He was all of 34. How did he know what was coming?

Now I sit by my window and I watch the cars roll by
I fear I'll do some damage one fine day
But I would not be convicted by a jury of my peers
Still crazy after all these years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5Eoax6I-O

He makes it all ok in 3 minutes and 28 seconds.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

RollyShed wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:59 pm when riding a bicycle, make sure the seat is high enough, and yes, at least 10 km (should be twice that) every second day.
Should, schmould. Every kilometer helps.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

RollyShed wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:59 pmAlso when riding a bicycle, make sure the seat is high enough, and yes, at least 10 km (should be twice that) every second day. Got to go and get the groceries some how.
Most mornings, I ride between 16 and 19 km.

As for the back, well... when I was about 12 or so, I had a 6" (15,24 cm) growth spurt one year. I started having pretty severe back pain and trouble. A local chiropractor at that time wanted to have me cut open to do back surgery. Fortunately, we were going to visit family back up in Ohio, so while up there, a family member recommended a mechano-therapist. By this point I was hunched over. A week of treatments (with a price tag of around $120 later) and I was back to normal. He started out using electro-pulse pads to get the muscles to relax, and then did a bunch of manipulation. One thing he should have done but did not is give me back muscle strengthening exercises to do.

Anyhow, later in life, I've developed lumbar spondylosis, which gives me a lot of lower back and hip area discomfort and even pain. I've definitely done jobs that I'm certain caused and then contributed to it. Probably they could do a spinal fusion and that might help, but then that comes with its own set of complications, so I'm going to try and avoid that, unless I get to the point where I simply cannot.

Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Portreve wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:31 am Anyhow, later in life, I've developed lumbar spondylosis, which gives me a lot of lower back and hip area discomfort and even pain. I've definitely done jobs that I'm certain caused and then contributed to it. Probably they could do a spinal fusion and that might help, but then that comes with its own set of complications, so I'm going to try and avoid that, unless I get to the point where I simply cannot.
Nasty... It might also help to lose some weight, thus reducing the "work load" for your bones and muscles.

Tip: I was able to lose 14 kilos in six months, by simply restricting myself to three meals a day (no more snacking in between). And those meals copious, but fairly healthy (lots of green stuff, lean meat etc.).

Plus I use a pedometer for tracking my physical exercise: I strive for 10.000 paces a day, but loosely; I accept a minimum of 5.000 paces. Went down from 91 kilos to 77 kilos. Structurally, no "jojo effect".
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

when I walked up to a grocery store, and a young lady of about 16 opened the door for me :shock:
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Pjotr wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:56 am
Portreve wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:31 am Anyhow, later in life, I've developed lumbar spondylosis, which gives me a lot of lower back and hip area discomfort and even pain. I've definitely done jobs that I'm certain caused and then contributed to it. Probably they could do a spinal fusion and that might help, but then that comes with its own set of complications, so I'm going to try and avoid that, unless I get to the point where I simply cannot.
Nasty... It might also help to lose some weight, thus reducing the "work load" for your bones and muscles.

Tip: I was able to lose 14 kilos in six months, by simply restricting myself to three meals a day (no more snacking in between). And those meals copious, but fairly healthy (lots of green stuff, lean meat etc.).

Plus I use a pedometer for tracking my physical exercise: I strive for 10.000 paces a day, but loosely; I accept a minimum of 5.000 paces. Went down from 91 kilos to 77 kilos. Structurally, no "jojo effect".
Today I rode my usual (or thereabouts plus a trip to the Supermarkt) and racked up 19,33 km in total. I could definitely feel it in my legs by the time I'd gotten to Publix and was walking around in there.

I agree with your comment about losing weight. Now, because of Hurricane Ian, I did take some time off from doing any riding (I was out of town for several days, and there's been a lot of other matters I've had to attend to) but when I started this whole thing (back when I created the thread thinking about getting a new bike that I wound up getting and then returning) I weighed about 113,9 kg. However, throughout it all, I've still stayed below that, and as of this morning I weigh 112,2 kg. I'm not particularly focused on steps per day because I ride my bike, but I probably average between 1.800 and 2.200 most days.
AZgl1800 wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:07 am when I walked up to a grocery store, and a young lady of about 16 opened the door for me :shock:
:lol:

RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

Arrh yes, weight. When I put on a bit of weight I can get up to 72 kg and I'm only 183 cm (6') tall. Snacking? Two biscuits at morning tea at the Shed, only one if at home.

Biking distances before retirement - 40s to 50s years, ~150 km per week with 1000 km over the summer Xmas holidays. Then down to about 60 km per week for the last decade. Retirement has seen a big drop in distance. The big trip? 3,500 km up the west coast of USA in my mid 40s.

I previously mentioned sea kayaking where you sit upright and rotate, keeping the back straight. A week or so at a time during holidays.
The Muffin Man
Level 5
Level 5

Post by The Muffin Man »

...When your waist size is in lock-step with your age.
"Go ahead. I don't shop here."
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

At 64, I'm old enough to know better, but young enough to do it again. My biggest problem is that I'm nowhere near as fit as once I was.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

The Muffin Man wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:55 pm ...When your waist size is in lock-step with your age.
Oh lord, so true… :(
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

MurphCID wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 3:36 pm
The Muffin Man wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:55 pm ...When your waist size is in lock-step with your age.
Oh lord, so true… :(
I'm overweight but my waist size is still less than my age (thank goodness!).
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!

Return to “Open Chat”