World Cup FIFA Qatar 2022

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.

Who will be the winner?

Argentina
36%
Brazil
No votes
Belgium
No votes
France
9%
Germany
9%
Spain
No votes
Other
36%
Netherlands
9%

Total votes: 11

cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Re: World Cup FIFA Qatar 2022

Post by cliffcoggin »

I made the connection between Holland and orange easily enough; it was the connection to football I missed. Told you I had no interest in football.
Cliff Coggin
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

dorsetUK wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:57 am Them there Netherlanders usually wear Orange coloured kit. Deep breath - Oranges often get squashed to make Orange juice or processed to make Orange Squash; to me it was a play on words that I thought was amusing after the Netherlands scored three tries, no ... runs?, no .... goals - yep, goals - compared to the Americans one.
See, that explanation is actually a good one!
I may have been wrong about it being amusing.
Not at all! I just didn't have the background to get it, and now that I do, I agree it is a funny joke!

I have a kind of "second strike" against me here because I'm not into sports, so absent the many compassionate and kind (to poor Americans) folk like you, I wouldn't even know anything was going on out there.

I've lost count of the number of times either a coworker (or customer when I worked in retail) would ask me "Who are you rooting for?" and my response would be "For what?" and they're like "The Super Bowl." and I'm like "When's that?" and they're like "It's tomorrow, dude." :lol:

What I've really enjoyed in the past is when friends of mine from Germany and I would get together online to watch a live stream of a game (FIFA or otherwise). Also, I don't think Fußball is as rules-and-technicalities-laden as American Football, so following game play is more fun and less tedious. Plus, the game play is faster.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
axrusar
Level 6
Level 6

Post by axrusar »

I am actually not a big football (link for the uneducated) fan, but coming from a country where it is actually VERY deeply embedded into the culture, I can add a few bits of information and opinions here.

Fútbol, as around other 600 million people and I call it, is the undisputed king of the sports in number of fans and people playing it around the world.
A sport of pure emotion displayed by its players and trapped by its fans all twinned in a common feeling. It is a big multicolored party of joy that unites people, clubs and countries together, regardless of age, race, social status or religion. It is an educator agent, it transmits positive values such as effort, perseverance, companionship, solidarity, shared friendship and a sense of belonging. It is a phenomenon of masses that brings together several hundred of million people around the world.

When you guys see those 22 millionaires chasing a ball in an around 100m long field, you are looking at real sportsmen that earned their place competing against the very rest of the world. Many of them came out of the slums, they really did not have much money to eat when they were young, were harassed by social and political conditions, some found in football a refuge against falling in drugs on the streets, without access to education. IMO, these sportsman with many millions in their pockets, are the very humans in the planet that actually earned it by hard work and discipline and DESERVE IT, compared to born already rich people that were put in place occupying similar wealthy positions by politicians, corporate daddies, corruption, etc. (Here i talk about any sportsman, regardless of what kind of sport they play)

Where I come from, you are born with a team depending on the neighborhood, you start chasing a ball since the very early stages in life. People talk about it at work, cafes, clubs, have fun, do jokes about what happened with their teams every weekend during the year round seasons, stadiums explode with people cheering FURIOUSLY for their teams until they literally lose speech ability for a few days recovering their vocal cords :lol: There is a unique in the world energy of 60-85 thousand people in these stadiums singing very creative / historical / absurdly offensive / lyrical / in sync songs against the opposing or home teams. It is the dream of any musician in the world to actually play in these exploding stadiums with every fan going crazy about it.

There is also the DARK side, and I mean lots of violent hooligans that actually take control of some of the teams all the way to politics and inside operations. Corruption everywhere, as in FIFA, or any big sporting organism where there is so much money at stake. There is no sport free of all this BS.

Just a few lines here to tell some people about the meaning of the sport in other parts of the world.
Me, living more than 20 years in the USA, I kind of liked some american football at some point, although as mentioned before it is so technical that it gets boring watching the referees measuring every inch of game and a gazillion of rules all the time. Baseball entertained me in a play station long time ago. Basketball ... yeah sometimes is funny watching the testosterone pumped guys breaking the glass and doing the "in your face" show lol.

Enjoy your sports guys, whatever you may like. I am enjoying the surprises so far in this FIFA world cup, and luckily I keep cheering for my team hoping to see history once again.

Good luck
Linux Mint Una Cinnamon 20.3 Kernel: 5.15.x | Quad Core I7 4.2Ghz | 24GB Ram | 1TB NVMe | Intel Graphics
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

axrusar wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:04 am Fútbol, as around other 600 million people and I call it,
Yes, of course its name is "football", and not "soccer". John Cleese can explain it better than I:
https://www.facebook.com/10004446657823 ... =permalink

I rest my case. :lol:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

What's always gotten me is with baseball there is the World Series even though for the longest time the U.S. was the only country playing it, then the only one playing it professionally.

Anyhow, Football and Australian Rules Football are, I think, the most fun to sit there and watch.

Thank you for your insight, axrusar.

My German friends (and an ex-gf from Australia) do not understand the whole "college sports" thing here in the U.S. However, as with everything else, it's ALL about the money. There wouldn't be any sports here at all if there weren't obscene amounts of money to be made from it.

I'm willing to bet that, hypothetically, if the NFL, AL/NL, and however basketball is organized, were to say "We're going to pay $100,000 a year to all players plus full medical coverage, and *that's it*" the moment that kicked in, you wouldn't see any more games because none of the players would agree to that.

dorsetUK
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dorsetUK »

:oops: Cheers guys.
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

The football vs football debate is amusing. So as to be clear soccer (football) is becoming more and more popular in the US.
About one-quarter of U.S. adults (26%) expect to watch “a lot” or “some” of the World Cup this year. In the same survey,

American football is very dangerous IMO - I played it in High School and luckily never had a major injury (I also played basketball and broke my ankle and my jaw). The problem with American football is the concussions and the long term brain damage. I am conflicted because I don't think it a healthy sport yet I grew up with it and admit I do enjoy watching it - a lot. However as soccer become more and more popular with each younger generation in the US the best athletes will start playing the sport rather than American football . . . I hope.

After the USA lost to the Netherlands I am now pulling for the Netherlands because most of the help I have received on this forum has been from Dutch guys.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

majpooper wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:11 pm American football is very dangerous IMO - I played it in High School and luckily never had a major injury (I also played basketball and broke my ankle and my jaw). The problem with American football is the concussions and the long term brain damage. I am conflicted because I don't think it a healthy sport yet I grew up with it and admit I do enjoy watching it - a lot. However as soccer become more and more popular with each younger generation in the US the best athletes will start playing the sport rather than American football . . . I hope.
Vis a vis American Football and head trauma, I remember a couple years back when that was the hot topic you heard about constantly on the news. Of course, there's simply too much money to be made playing American Football to let anything happen to the sport, no matter how much lip service or slight changes that the powers-that-be are forced into providing. It would take players actually dying on the field from serious head trauma (and not just in a one-off scenario) for anyone to really do anything about it. And even then, it would take the whole country turning against the sport to ever end it.
After the USA lost to the Netherlands I am now pulling for the Netherlands because most of the help I have received on this forum has been from Dutch guys.
That's the spirit!

Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

majpooper wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:11 pm After the USA lost to the Netherlands I am now pulling for the Netherlands because most of the help I have received on this forum has been from Dutch guys.
It's still red, white and blue! :)
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

The Netherlands lost as well today, to Argentina. I'm not a football fan, but today I did watch the game. Blood-curdling match.

From now on I'll support Croatia, if only because they have the best-looking supporters (well, at least one of them, to be precise). :lol:
old_noob
Level 4
Level 4

Post by old_noob »

My manager is originally from Croatia and took the day off yesterday to watch them. I suspect he is very happy; maybe time to ask for a raise:)
old_noob
Level 4
Level 4

Post by old_noob »

Portreve wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:05 am I'm willing to bet that, hypothetically, if the NFL, AL/NL, and however basketball is organized, were to say "We're going to pay $100,000 a year to all players plus full medical coverage, and *that's it*" the moment that kicked in, you wouldn't see any more games because none of the players would agree to that.
If that was for life it would be a great idea.

What people (including most athletes) don't get about pro sports is that most salaries are not that great if you take the long view. An American professional athlete's career averages 6 years. If you majored in sports in college, as so many did, you need to make enough in that 6 years to fund the rest of your life (and maybe take care of the medical problems incurred due to your sport). So I don't see their paydays being as big as many think. There should be a course called "life after sport" that all college athletes are required to take.
dorsetUK
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dorsetUK »

We lost. Well done France – and ‘mumsy’ may be descended from the French.

Au’voir.

Jean.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

What a final! I'm not a football lover, but this was super. What a tension. What unbelievable skills. Those last-minute miracles.

I supported France, but Argentina was superior. Congratulations, Argentinians!
Nightwing
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Nightwing »

What a final! I'm not a football lover, but this was super. What a tension. What unbelievable skills.
Yes, you're absolutely right. Stunning game and a brilliant Messi and Mbappé, wow.

ToM
axrusar
Level 6
Level 6

Post by axrusar »

Linux Mint Una Cinnamon 20.3 Kernel: 5.15.x | Quad Core I7 4.2Ghz | 24GB Ram | 1TB NVMe | Intel Graphics

Return to “Open Chat”